Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Recommendations for New Roof

mattd860

I need new roofing on my home. I have a Dutch Colonial so the roof is very prominent so 'looks' are the most important. However, I want something more durable than asphalt shingles and would like to go with a metal roof or something else that you guys may recommend. Typical metal will look terrible - or so says my wife :thumbs:

So recommend some good roofing material that is better than asphalt shingles and looks good too!!

Thanks

PS. Here's a very old picture of my house from the realtors brochure so you can see how prominent the roof is on my house.

IS14lvpgmosvter.jpg

rmaynard

Find a roofing contractor that works with steel shingles. Here is a link to a product that I saw installed in my area. The look was that of standard fiberglass, but had all the advantages of steel.

http://www.tamko.com/ResidentialRoofing/Sh...rand/MetalWorks

stevebo

Matt,

I am a commercial roofing manufactuer who works with everything except asphalt shingles and slate. Standing seam would look good however if not done right it will ALWAYS be an issue for you. There are a limited number of good contractors who know how to install engineered panels. The other choice is slate. I would NOT go with fake slate as I have seen entire schools install it and then they blow off. Both real slate and fake are very heavy and your house may not be able to handle the dead loads of either system. If it can (structrual engineer to confirm) the cost of slate is about 35-40 per square foot. Standing seam is slightly less however you can get a good achitectual shingle done for about 5-10 per square foot or less.

Hope this helps.

6wheeler

I put very good architectual shingles on my roof last year and they look great. I live up on a hill and it gets very windy up here, but so far so good. None of them are lifting. I looked into the steel shingles and they are expensive but a guy I work with just had them installed on his roof last fall and Steve is right, GET a good contractor because he had trouble with the install. But they do look great and will outlast mine I am sure.

mattd860

I do like the idea of a metal roof that simulates asphalt shingles.

Do to the extreme roof pitch, I want to avoid asphalt shingles because right now they just hang on the nails and after years of sitting in the sun, many have started to sag and fall. I can see where the previous home owner has replaced the shingles that simply fell off over the years.

I also want add that I am a 100% "do-it-yourselfer". If I had to pay people to do work like this, then I simply wouldn't be able to afford it. I know there are advantages and disadvantages to doing something like this on my own but I really don't care. I trust my self to do the job right and/or live with any consequences.

With that said... any of you experienced roofers want to come over and 'help' when the time comes? I'm always open to advice and help instead of "better off let contractor do it". Of course LOTS of food will be provided as well as gas money and plenty of Wheel horse conversations :thumbs: :wh:

wh-jason

something you might want to think about...as a firefighter, i have been on several structure fires where the house had a metal roof and it is far more difficult to "save" the structure because it is hard to get to the fire through the metal. ive heard of some insurance companys not covering houses with a metal roof. just my 2 cents worth. :thumbs:

mattd860

something you might want to think about...as a firefighter, i have been on several structure fires where the house had a metal roof and it is far more difficult to "save" the structure because it is hard to get to the fire through the metal. ive heard of some insurance companys not covering houses with a metal roof. just my 2 cents worth. :thumbs:

Ok I'll definitely check into that - Thanks. I'm not sold on metal roofing yet so I'm glad to figure this stuff out now.

Redbirdman

I have not a clue as to roofing material anymore (so many things have changed)....but let me throw in my 2 cents of advice:

Put a lot of thought into color and style! Even so far as an architect and Real Estate agents. Whether or not you are planning to sell soon.

We just went through hoops selling our 30 year old house in NJ:

The roof is too black, should have been white!

The house is too dark (stained shingles) looks like the 80's. Should have been yuppy grey! Or white!

Colonial house., it should have been slate.......or cedar shingles on the roof

Good thing you don't have slate, but your asphalt shingles look cheap.

Keyed shingles are dumb. Non Keyed shingles look dumb!

What I (we) thought was a perfect choice just a few years ago were all poor selling points (or negotiating points) at selling time. And while paint is changed, your stuck with a roof for 20 or 30 years.ed :wh: :thumbs:

mattd860

I have not a clue as to roofing material anymore (so many things have changed)....but let me throw in my 2 cents of advice:

Put a lot of thought into color and style! Even so far as an architect and Real Estate agents. Whether or not you are planning to sell soon.

We just went through hoops selling our 30 year old house in NJ:

The roof is too black, should have been white!

The house is too dark (stained shingles) looks like the 80's. Should have been yuppy grey! Or white!

Colonial house., it should have been slate.......or cedar shingles on the roof

Good thing you don't have slate, but your asphalt shingles look cheap.

Keyed shingles are dumb. Non Keyed shingles look dumb!

What I (we) thought was a perfect choice just a few years ago were all poor selling points (or negotiating points) at selling time. And while paint is changed, your stuck with a roof for 20 or 30 years.ed :D:thumbs:

Good points. Unfortunetly, there's nothing you can do to appease everyone like you said. I guess I could use shingles/panels of every different color. Then everyone would get a little of what they like :wh:

rmaynard

Interesting side note. My brother had a geodesic dome home that was 90% roof. He had it shingled in asphalt/fiberglass 40 year architectural shingles. January 2010, a fire started on his deck, and within 15 minutes, the entire structure was engulfed. The fire inspector said that if he had used steel roofing, the damage would have been confined to the deck area, and one wall.

6wheeler

Here is something else you can use. When I do a roof (and I've done too many) whether its a barn roof or a brooder house or my house, I hand nail my shingles. I do not believe in staples PERIOD.... They can pull through the shingles, or cut through if you have too much pressure. Staples are for paper. It may take longer, But it lasts longer too. My shingles are a 3 color variance green architectural shingles on a buttermilk colored house. it looks great. Must be my feminine side that helps me pick colors :thumbs:

rmaynard

... When I do a roof (and I've done too many) whether its a barn roof or a brooder house or my house, I hand nail my shingles. I do not believe in staples PERIOD...

Have you ever used a roofing nailer? I use a coil nailer. With the correct air pressure and a little practice, the nails will not punch through, or go crooked, nor will you whack your thumb with the hammer. I too will never staple a shingle.

SNYFIX

Where will you be putting the extremely rare Wheel Horse weather vane when you get done ??!!!

Coadster32

I went with hunter green archetectual asphalt shingles 5 years ago on our house. It definatly added some flavor, at a really economical cost. I've done prob. 6 roofs in my time, and glad I sat the last one out. It needed over 20 new sheets of plywood. While it was up, I made sure that hurricane straps got put in. I hear that metal roofing gets loud in the rain. Either way, you'll be looking at it for 20+ years. (Might not you'll do-it-yourself then.) Good Luck. :thumbs:

refracman

Matt have you thought of installing faux cedar shingles on the mansard section? Their maintiance free the come as a vynil panel and are fairly easy to install. Lots of colors and patterns to choose from too.

Then install something in the Elk or Owens Coring line of shingles on the mains. Both are good with the Elk being asphalt and the OC being fiberglass and both have 40 -50 yr warrentee line of shingles. They are thick and will give you good street appeal.

And these guys are right, the wrong color can kill the looks of your house.

jimbotelho

Matt architects done right will look terrific in my opinion as far as you being a "do it yourselfer" I was the same way a while ago .Someone that was very close to me said son, if you want to own your own home you better have a good job or lots of money or better yet learn and do it your self and it will mean more to you when completed steve bo knows who im talking about right steve ?? :thumbs: :wh:

theoldwizard1

I put very good architectual shingles on my roof last year and they look great.

+1

mr.pipes

I do work in construction but am not an expert on roofing. But I would think as a do it your self roofer your best bet would be a good architectural shingle. There are a lot more options for color and cut these days too. They should last 20-25 yrs. I'm not sure how old you are, how long you plan on living in the house or living period but you should only need to do the roof one more time down the road. If you go with something that will last 50yrs you might get pretty sick of it after a while.

Two years ago a bad hail storm came through my area. Almost all my neighbors got new roofs and siding through insurance. I wont even get into the cars damaged. A few neighbors with Mattd860's style house had problems with shingles coming off shortly after when we had high winds. Only on the steep front part though. I would suggest looking into why this happens and try and get some info or tips from professionals or the sales reps and see what can be done to help prevent this. I know there are a few members that are roofers who will chime in with good advice.

Ken B

My Dad has a Dutch Colonial he bought new in 1971. It is on its second roof now. His house is wide open to the sun and wind, I never saw shingles sag or fall off of it. If it is the original roof on your house the shingles have probably become brittle and it is more of a its time for some new shingles over the pitch of the roof having anything to do with your issue.

Doing a roof on your own isn't an easy task, with the height of your roof its a job in its own just huffin the shingles up the ladder. I've been on my Dad's roof dozens upon dozens of times thru the yrs. and it is a pain just to safely get on the roof, nevermind carrying up a bundle of shingles. If you have more than 2 layers you'll need to tear it all off. I've done a bit of roofs thru the yrs. I did mine once when I first moved into my house about 18 yrs. ago. I had to tear it all off, alone. It ain't easy. Two yrs. ago I had it all done again, this time I had a contractor do it, my back is shot. If your house doesn't have ridge vents it would be a good idea to install them. Go with the architectural shingles. Here is a bit of advice, before you tackle the house on your own, do the garage first. This way you can get a feel for whether or not it is a job you want to tackle on your own.

scan0002.jpg

wh79d160

We put Malarkey Legacy 50 year impact resistant laminated architectural shingles on our house last year. They are an SBS "rubber" modified shingle that has a 110 mph wind warranty. And we save 10% a year on our home owners ins, thru State Farm & it isn't pro rated like other Ins. co. do. It's the same for the life of the roof. So it takes about five years to pay back the difference in price from 30 year heritage asphalt but afer that , it keep paying you . I was concerned with the roofer leaving me some extras because we live on a hill & get alot of wind & I was always replacing shingles. He said I wouldn't need any & IF any did blow off, he would come up & replace them himself. Haven't had to call him.

mattd860

Thanks for all the suggestions. I currently have one layer of roofing (original roof) but the contractor who built the house never used tar paper or any other backing under the shingles. He only surrounded the perimeter with rain and ice backing. So I will definitely be removing all the existing roofing.

Also - I do have *some* experience. A few years ago my father and I re-roofed his garage. I also just installed a new chimney in my garage and had to re-shingle a good portion of it. I feel confident working with normal asphalt and architectural shingles. I've never worked with metal or composite shingles/panels though.

I'm 28yrs old so if I stay in my home until I die, I could be there for another 60 years so going with a 20yr roof is not an option for me unless I couldn't afford to do anything else. I'm not planning on moving unless I get a job out of state or the government forces me to move as a result of high taxes and ridiculous gun laws. I have to say the State of CT already has stupid taxes and is thinking about dumb gun laws so I may find my self in Penn, N. Dakota, or Arizona fairly soon :thumbs:

My wife will definitely be deciding on the colors too. So I'm good in that department

spark949

Timberline makes an architectural 30, 40 and lifetime warrantee roof. Its Class A fire rated as well. Nice shingle, I've used them for 35 years on the construction projects I've worked on. Don't live in the "what could happen" world. Pick a color, type shingle you like. No roof lasts forever. I've put two roofs on my house now and won't be putting a third on. It was 30 years between them.

puddlejumper

I put Timberlines on my house about 16 yrs ago as well as on dads. Neither of us have steep roofs and we havent had any problems. However the main reason I like them is the shake look and apperance also this tends to hide any misalignment while laying them. You are going to need some help from some buddys. And I am not saying you or your buddys will lay them cro0oked but everybody sees the alignment of the courses different if your eye says straight is a 1/16 under the alignment tab and your buddys is a 1/16 over the tab If you guys lay 8 courses together one starting and one finishing you end up 1/2 out of line with the crown of you roof. The timberlines hide alot of this. Of course chalklines remedy this But do you want to nail on shingles or spend 1/2 a day pulling chalk mlines