Sign in to follow this  
redtin

8 speed again

redtin

My Thanks to all who helped out and for the great tutorial on the gears,am now awaiting parts to compare new with the worn one's. there's one thing I meant to ask I do find if I am not careful getting on off can strike gear leaver with foot it's very tight

Dan :thumbs:

Duff

Kicking the shift lever while getting on and off is a common occurrence, I'm afraid. :wh: I've actually learned to mount the tractor like a "real" horse by swinging a leg over the back of the seat. Looks a little weird at first, but beats snapping a shift fork or some such!

~Duff :thumbs:

sorekiwi

My 46 year old knees dont like bending that far, so I swing my leg over the back of the seat as well. Doesnt work on the 520 though, almost everything else has a low back seat.

redtin

Hi On further inspection of my diff this is what I found,anyone got four good 11 tooth pinions for my 8 speed trans,please pm with your price.

what do think of the marks on the shaft just where the needle bearing sits is this OK bearings

seem good when in place no up or down movement.

Dan UK

DSCF0004.jpgDSCF0003.jpgDSCF0002.jpg

Anglo Traction

what do think of the marks on the shaft just where the needle bearing sits is this OK bearings

seem good when in place no up or down movement.

Dan UK

Hi Dan,

Those Pinions have had a hard life. If no-one here can help, it is possible that Bob Lewis has a few Tranny parts :thumbs: . I know he has(d) some Axle Shafts when I enquired, but were the wrong length for me. That tells me he has a few dismantled and may have a Diff unit.

If you can't get the 4 pinions you need, you can always go for an 8 pinion Diff Unit.

As for the Shaft condition, the Pitting caused by water ingress look's like it's been there for some time and should not get worse if it is cleaned and any rust neutralised, depends how deep the pits are and if it is only on the area shown.

Obtaining Shafts may be more difficult and they may not be in any better condition.

redtin

Hi Richard

thanks for hanging in there, its a shame as I thought the diff was good and up till now

have spent almost

sorekiwi

I dont like any of the pictures you posted.

The pinions are toast, not only the chipping on the tooth, but the shaft where it goes into the diff housing looks badly scored. I'd have a good look at the bores where they run, and try to get a measurement there, I would imagine they might be worn and scored as well.

The pitting on the axle is a little ugly too. Its a little hard to see from the picture, but it looks as though there might be "lines" across the axle surface that will tend to "trip up" the rollers instead of letting them roll smoothly. Take something small and sharp (I generally use a dentist's pick) and drag it around the axle and feel for bumps that might prevent the rollers from rolling.

Small pits arent necessarily that bad, only if they are big enough for the bearing rollers to dig into, and destroy themselves.

redtin

Thanks Mike

On a downer now not sure what to do never thought about the pinion ends others could be bad and as you say inside housing could be worn. :thumbs:

Dan

Forest Road

Not to hi jack the thread.... But for those of you who have done this a time or two. How many of the bearings do you typically replace? Are there a few that typically go bad?

sorekiwi

Not to hi jack the thread.... But for those of you who have done this a time or two. How many of the bearings do you typically replace? Are there a few that typically go bad?

(In the US) the needle roller bearings cost about $7 apiece through a bearing house like Motion Industries.

I've got boxes here that I opened up, inspected and put back together with no new bearings. Others I've replaced all or some of them. I dont think I've ever noticed one particular bearing going bad before the others.

There are two ball bearings, one each side of the differential. Its a proprietary Toro bearing and only available thru them. They cost about $60 apiece. I have never replaced one of those with a new one, but if I pull a box down for parts I carefully stash those two bearings away for later reuse.

Forest Road

Just looking things over it looks like the input and and brake shaft bearings sit high in relation to the oil level. And I would assume they'd be most likely to run dry. Hopefully my kero flush silences things over here.

can whlvr

boy that tranny had some abuse,once you decide what u need im sure someone here will have used ones 4 you,i realize shipping must be costly 4 u but try and be possitive,your bringing back a piece of history :thumbs:

dgjks6

I may have all the gears you are looking for if you still need them.

I just came across an 8 speed with a cracked case and all I need are the axles.

redtin

Thanks for the offer dgjks6 whereabouts are you US or UK

Bob is sending me 8 pinions and I have ordered a new 2nd 3rd gear

not sure if I require more the axle shaft has a bit of a bad spot but its slight

so hope it will be OK.

DAN

dgjks6

US

The axles should be fine with new seals. Mine looked like that and so far no leakage. You could always put on 2 seals if you are concerned about leakage.