Sign in to follow this  
redtin

8 speed again

redtin

HI

What is the best way to split my spare 8 speed trans I have removed all bolts but it will not separate with some persuasion.

:thumbs:DSCF0009-1.jpgDSCF0008.jpg

B-8074

Do you have the tranny service manual?

redtin

Not as yet but have ordered one along with all new seals

B-8074

PM sent

stevasaurus

here is the manual...just take a chisel or a large screwdriver and tap it in along the crack in the halves. When you take it apart have it set up in a vise or a set of horses with the shallow half down and take the larger half off. Don't be afraid to hit it in a few places to separate it. :wh: Take lots of pictures. We are here to help. You should be Section V

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...ns/492-4004.pdf

I am going to edit this...shallow side down like Irv said in the next post....sorry :thumbs:

Irv

Whoa Steve, I thought you said to take the larger half off (shallow side is down)!

Posted: October 18, 2010 10:00 am

RedSquare Pro

Group: Supporter

Member No.: 866

Irv...drain and pull trans. Support so the shallow side is on the bottom (important). Unbolt and separate trans halves. The differential should lift right out. Unbolt the differential and replace "E" clips. Note to self...find the old one. Replace your seals and put back together in reverse order. Make sure the differential nuts are up when you replace the differential. The nuts will interfere with the large gear in bottom of trans if nuts are down. (important).

stevasaurus

Sorry guys...my mistake...shallow side down is correct. :thumbs: I am looking for a manual for his trans...can't really find the right one...should be #110995 maybe 1985 year. Thinking section V is close to what he has.

Not sure where that red Square Pro thingy came from...should not be given to someone who is dyslexic. :wh:

dgjks6

Don't know how far you have gotten yet, but

the first thing I would do is polish the ends of the axles so they don't get stuck coming through the bearings

then put it shallow side down

then tap around the top half with a rubber mallet

I have lots of pics, almost step by step if you need them.

sorekiwi

A better way to seperate the two halves is to take two pieces of angle iron and drill two 3/8 holes in each - one to suit the holes where the seat mounts on the early tractors and the other to suit the two front mounting holes on the wide side of the casting.

You can then hammer on the angle iron rather than beating the snot out of your gasket surface between the casings.

You can see them still attached to the case on the right in this picture:

IMG_3004.jpg

Gene_S

Great idea Mike :wh:

Can't figure out why you took that tranny apart in your picture... :thumbs:

sorekiwi

Great idea Mike :wh:

Can't figure out why you took that tranny apart in your picture... :thumbs:

Actually that one belongs to someone else. I was hoping to salvage at least some of it, but didnt go much further than what you see there!

redtin

Thank's to all

Very helpful info. Im still on it will post more pic's

:thumbs:

DYSLEXIC Dan

redtin

Got it split used Sorekiwi idea

Did not look to bad at first but on closer inspection can see the reason why it was hard to engage 1st & 2nd I think your views please :thumbs:

is this termina or can it DSCF0012-1.jpge savedlDSCF0011.jpgDSCF0010.jpg

Dan

stevasaurus

Mike...great idea on separating the trans halves. :thumbs:

Dan, I think your trans is a keeper...and it looks very clean inside. I would pull out all the gears and inspect. Post some pictures of the bad ones. Racinfool40 and I have been trying to figure out what gears from what transmission are interchangeable. Don't quote me yet, but it appears that almost all of the gears are interchangeable with almost all of the Wheel Horse transmissions. Talking cluster, first, second, third, reverse, forks. Most of the differences in the transmissions are in the differential and bull gear. All we need is one of the guys with a parts trans with any of the gears you think are bad. I know there are a few out there...Racinfool40 may even have one. Show us the bad gears and let's go from there.

dgjks6

This is just a shot in the dark and I am interested to see what others think. That groove in the splined pinion gear is normal. but the teeth look awful. Wonder if you can file them smooth. I would also take of the gear on the shifter fork to make sure the inside is OK. Everything else looks good to me.

dgjks6

This is just a shot in the dark and I am interested to see what others think. That groove in the splined pinion gear is normal. but the teeth look awful. Wonder if you can file them smooth. I would also take of the gear on the shifter fork to make sure the inside is OK. Everything else looks good to me.

stevasaurus

I was thinking the same thing, about filing those teeth...didn't have the nuts to mention it. :thumbs: But now that you brought it up, I think I would file any spurs gently...but those teeth look pretty bad. If this horse was just going to shows and such...maybe get away with that, but if it is a worker...I would try to replace all bad gears. :wh:

redtin

Thanks Steve and daiks 6

will get deeper and check it out but if new gears are required not sure as to cost

Dan

stevasaurus

Dan, you do not want to buy new gears...if they are even available, or have one made. The way to go is to have some one here with a parts trans. You want to clean it out because of filings anyway...let's see what is bad (pictures) first and go from there. You can buy a used trany for $50 to $100...parts could be very cheap. :thumbs:

redtin

Hi Steve.

You give me hope but I live in the UK and that trans cost me

stevasaurus

Dan...I have hope and faith in this forum that we can make this happen. Let's find out what you need first. Mailing a part from the U.S. (if we have to) may not be that bad. :D On the other side of the pond, you have quite a few members. I can't believe that some one over there can't help. We do have a euro wanted section now. :thumbs: I, personally, would at least send a PM to "stigian", if he can't help, I'll bet he may know who can. I believe that this is one big family, and we can get more done then the Congress of the U.S. Heck the Queen might even be able to help...she pops in here once in a while and wishes the members Happy Birthday. :wh::D:wh:

You hang in there sunshine...we are not done yet. :D

sorekiwi

Glad you got it apart!

You wont be able to file the teeth, they are hardened.

But you can dress them a little with a small stone in a dremel type tool. You can smooth off the rough spots and try to recreate a bit of a bevel on the ends of the teeth where they have been "flat spotted". Make sure you dont go too far down the tooth, the bevel is to allow the gears to line up, but once they are engaged you want both gears to be driving on nice straight (unbevelled) tooth. To much bevel will make it want to jump back out of gear.

Also make sure that the sliding gears are sliding nice and free on the splines, a dinged up spline will make the trans "sticky" when you are trying to engage a gear. I dont remember how hard the splines are on these boxes, usually they are not as hard as the teeth, so you may be able to dress them with a file.

redtin

Thanks

Not sure what the gear would have looked like when new been looking for up close pic on here, I think it's the 1st & revers and 2nd & third that are effected.

now got to get a dremel tool.

Dan

ps also meant to ask what would I use to clean it up diesel ?

Horse'n Around

Diesel or kerosene will work great.

John