Sign in to follow this  
DMESS

Just a thought

DMESS

I was giving some thought the other day to the Redsquare display for the 10th Annual WHCC show and an interesting idea came to me that I wanted to bring up for consideration.

Since the tent display will be showing off the members and their tractors, why not use it to show off the Redsquare Forum as well. I was thinking it might be quite nice to have a "staffed" table setup with a laptop running the Redsquare Forum. We could give live real time demos to would be members and sign them up right on the spot. Quite an impressive showing I would think and it could really get interest in the RS forum brewing at the show.

We'd have to scope out a power source to keep the laptop chugging (anyone in the group have a WH generator?) and wifi/phone as modem capability would be needed for an internet connection. I've got a nice RED laptop we could use. (pending wifes approval :whistle: )

Let's get some input and see what others think about this. :WRS:

nylyon

Dustin, I LOVE this idea! I have an inverter which can be moved from tractor to tractor to power the laptop. I do not have a cellular card, but do have an older Dell laptop (and laptop security cable) which can be used if need be.

What a great idea! :whistle:

DMESS

I thought you might like this one Karl. Any ideas on getting internet capability "on the spot". I have it on my phone, but not in the sense of "phone as modem" capability. Chance of catching an unsecured wifi network is probalby slim to none at the fairgrounds. Can the forum software be setup to run in some sort of "demo mode" without being connected to the web? I'm just not savy with this stuff! We could certainly make a log book to record user ID's and passwords to be uploaded later on if we couldn't do it on the spot.

combatmp29r

I agree with Karl Dustin its a great Idea. We may get somepeople that don't want to log their Id and password on paper though. Maybe they fill in the required information, and Karl or one of the mods send them a temp password with their validation email. Then they could change it to one they wanted???? :whistle:

Rollerman

Dustin I think this is a great idea also...although I'll admit I'm a little in the dark on some of the newer wireless tech.

But it really would showcase what "Red Square" is all about to people who have not found us....or even get some interest among the non internet crowd! :whistle:

nylyon

I'm looking for some screen capture software which will record sessions. If we can record, say a chat session, take a look at the gallery and other misc items (maybe about 5 minutes or so) that would be great!

CasualObserver

That's a really cool idea! I'm not going to be there, but surely someone here has a broadband cellular card, or a data cable and a cell phone. You wouldn't need to be online all day at the show, but could arrange demo times, and have a powerpoint slideshow of screenshots and such running in between.

baerpath

Along those lines, we have a lot a pictures of members tractors maybe load them for display ?

Duane

CasualObserver

That's a good idea too Duane! Save all the images from the Galleries, and have them on one of those screensaver slideshows, maybe a laptop just designated for that?

kj4kicks

Great ideas guys !

I like the idea of the Powerpoint show, maybe with every-other frame being the web address ?

Not to sure I'd take too many screenshots of the chat room ,though LOL.

I already have a couple tables loaded in the trailer, so that's no problem.

TT

And I agree with Eldon, who agrees with Jason, who agrees with Duane, who agrees with Karl, who agrees with Stephen, who agrees with Joel, who agrees with Dustin. :WRS:

There -- put that on one of the powerpoint screens -- so they can see how agreeable we are at RedSquare. :whistle:

As far as the chat room transcripts go.... it would hurt my feelings if there was any animosity among those viewing the computer at the RedSquare tent at the WHCC show in June in PA, yeah!

TT

......on a steeeeeeeek ! :whistle:

kj4kicks

So all we have to do now is hope that somehow another group doesn't get wind of this idea :WRS: .

I noticed that another group somehow came up with a banner idea :whistle: .

That would hurt my feelings.... on a steeeeek

Eldon... on a short trip, just passing through mouse-city.....

DMESS

Eldon. yeah. And if they do we might just hang em' on a pointy steeeeek! :whistle:

CasualObserver

TT... Are you a Dunham fan? He's coming here in August!news_josejalepeno.gif With his "steeeek"

TT

Jes, Jason.... I am a beeeeeeeg fan of Jeff.

Walter brings back a lot of memories of my one Grandpap too. :whistle:

(especially his Wal*Mart greeting. :WRS: -- not that my Pap worked at Wal*Mart though.)

linen beige

Reckon one of them motor home owners would have a satelite connection to the web? :whistle:

T-Mo

Good idea(s). I'm with Stephen here, as I'm not up to date on all this wireless stuff, but it's a great idea.

baerpath

I should have a generator at the show, right Dale :whistle: Might need to borrow a tractor for it though :WRS:

Duane

Curmudgeon

I should have a generator at the show, right Dale :whistle: Might need to borrow a tractor for it though :WRS:

Duane

Yes Duane, you'll have a generator. You can plan on running half the fairgrounds, heck, maybe all of it if you want! :D

KyBlue

If somebody has an actual modem in their laptop, you could use a Cellphone - most plans have unlimited weekends so its not like it'd cost anything... Of course if somebody had one of the Wireless Cards from Sprint or Verizon ... would be even easier. Ive been meaning to get one so I can keep up with the forum on the days Im gone.

I'm sure ya'll will figure something out

kj4kicks

My new notebook computer has a wireless, high speed, and phone modem built in. If we can't find a stray wireless signal, maybe one of the others will work.

I'm also working on a powerpoint display featuring member's tractor pictures from RS.

nylyon

I don't mean to be a kill joy, but it is not legal to tap into a stray wireless signal without the owners permission even if that signal is unencrypted and unsecure. :whistle:

KyBlue

thats just a small technical detail Besides, its only illegal if you get caught..haaha

Curmudgeon

I don't mean to be a kill joy, but it is not legal to tap into a stray wireless signal without the owners permission even if that signal is unencrypted and unsecure. :whistle:

I'm thinking there has already been legal cases over this. Say that signal is coming from a business that provides free wireless for it's customers. No doubt, there are people who sit in the parking lot and tap into those signals.

This kind of harks back to when every business had signs that read, "Restrooms are for customers only" Those have pretty much disappeared. Not only can someone claim it's unlawful to deny the public access to a public restroom (yes, it's privately owned, but it's there FOR the public to use), but next time that person who needs to pee will remember that and go to wherever he was allowed to go last time. Good PR to just let everyone use it.

Generally, from what I've heard, whether it's technically legal to tap into the signal or not, most likely, you aren't going to punished for doing so, even if they figure out you're doing it.

It's generally accepted that it's fallen to the responsibility of the person emitting the signal to secure it if he/she doesn't want to share it.