Sign in to follow this  
75 B80

75 B80 4 speed quit

75 B80

Hi all,

I have a 1975 B80 4 speed and it has been a great tractor for me. Well, I started it up 2 says ago and it was running for about 1/2 hour and then all of the sudden it quit.

So we try to start it up , and nothing. I checked for spark and it don't have any.

I bought a new plug, and it still wont start. I confirmed the spark plug wire was good.

The one thing I found was that I do not have 12 volts to the + side of the coil. Not even when the tractor cranks over. I've got nothing.

I checked the ignition switch with the key on run, and I have 12 volts to all terminals but one (It's a 4 prong).

Any ideas? It will crank over until the cow come home, just no spark. :thumbs:

Also - does anyone know how to check the coil to see if its good or not? What readings should I get?

Thanks

rmaynard

:thumbs: Glad to have you aboard.

Try running a wire directly from the + side of the battery to the + side of the coil and see if it starts.

mavfreak

:thumbs: You may want to check any of your safty switch also.

rmaynard

Just found my wiring diagram for the '75, and it looks like there is a seat switch in the circuit. If that is bad, it will act as a kill or deadman switch. If it starts with the wire directly from the battery to the coil, check for a bad seat switch, or bad connection in the safety switch junction.

14aa3470.jpg

iicap

Do as Bob suggested for a quick test. If it runs, before blaming the ign switch, soak the terms and recepticle with, like WD40 or some penetrant and slide the recepticle on and off the switch terms a half dozen times. Then see if it will run with out the junper wire. Corrosion forms in places we can't see.

75 B80

Edit: Tried the jumpeer cable to to coil and it started. So, then I cleaned all the electrical terminals. It's running right now. Looks like I had some corrosion on one of the electrical connections.

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the the help! :thumbs:

can whlvr

its a great feeling to fix somthing with no cash needed

iicap

Amen to that.

Folks I don't know how to use the quote thing, any quick tutorial from somebody?

mavfreak

Amen to that.

Folks I don't know how to use the quote thing, any quick tutorial from somebody?

In the left hand upper corner of the post you want to quote is a box that says quote. Click it. it will then take you to the replying post were you can type what you want in were you normally would. Then scroll down and there is a box that has the quote you selected and you can delete what you don't want to quote or leave alone. then post your reply.

Hope this helps!

iicap

You mean like this, thanks Heath

No hijack intended 75 B80, hopefully i got a bit smarter

mavfreak

:thumbs:

That's it! Glad I could help!

75 B80

No hijack intended 75 B80, hopefully i got a bit smarter

No problem! Obviously I learned somthing too!

Guess I'm done for the week, I learned two things in two days. Now I need to kick back and relax until Sunday. :thumbs: