Sign in to follow this  
Mith

31HP big block briggs?

Mith

Has anyone had any experience with the big block Vanguards, the 31HP to be exact?

I've never come across one, and am toying with the idea of ordering one. I don't really want one if they have a reputation for breaking down or anything.

Its between the 22HP small block, and the 31HP big block. $800 price difference (ouch, but its alot more engine). The extra HP would be nice, but not essential.

I know the small blocks have a proven record and I like them, no idea about the big blocks.

Anyone have any thoughts/information or experience?

Thanks.

I've attached pictures of the 2 engines

31HP

Vang_BigBlock_35.jpg

22HP

23HP-Vgd-HS-right-side.gif

kpinnc

Can't speak for the 31hp model Mith, but the 22 hp is gonna be the same size as the 14hp vanguard I have. They're decent engines, certainly at today's standards, but the size of them may be a bit of a problem if you're gonna use it on a Wheel Horse. That is especially true of the older square hoods, say 1965-1974.

The width (flywheel to PTO) is a bit larger than even a big block Kohler, so you may get into clearance issues with the left side of the hood. Reason being, you have to shift it over quite a ways to align the PTO correctly with the drive pulley on the transmission. I've got an older post on here with my problems trying to mount it on a 867 frame. Here's a pic:

m071.jpg

Can't say for sure about the 300/400/500 series tractors, but they appear to give quite a bit more room under the hood.

I'd say the 31hp model probably won't fit under any of the WH hoods. That's a BIG engine...

Good luck!

Kevin

Mith

Kevin, its for the articulated project, so no space issues :whistle: The only dimension I need to work to is it has to be under 500mm wide, and the big block is 496, so perfect!

The 31HP is quite a bit larger than the normal Vanguards, that only adds to its attraction for me, and I really like the air cleaner on it.

Thanks for the post