Sign in to follow this  
KyBlue

Tiller

KyBlue

Like sooo many others, I've been watching Ebay, CL, and the Local paper. searching for a 36" Tiller... I finally found one on Ebay that was in good condition, and affordable. It isnt Tooo Terribly far from me. About three hours - Each way.

Its Missing the Mid Mount Pulley Setup. I'm not seeing any listed on Ebay, does anybody on here have this setup that can get me some Good Pictures, as well as measurments, so I can build one. From what I have seen, its basically the Shaft to Lock into the Mid Mount Tach a matic, has a pulley on the end, and IIRC there is a Tab that Runs to a bolt on the frame.

heres a Couple Shots from the Epay Auction.. looks in good Condx to me ... Not bad for 99 bucks!

cc75_1.JPG

d078_1.JPG

d3f1_1.JPG

It looks like one of the tines might be bent, but I should be able to straighten it up, if Not, I'll replace it.

Thanks!!!

92Pony

Nice acquisition! :whistle:

I've recently seen a copy of that mid-mount pulley setup on Ebay. I remember it looking really nice, but was at about $80 or so on the bidding at the time - It did look to be new though.

Wade

KyBlue

ive seen those too but there arent any listed on Epay right now. Most of the parts are still available from Toro, except for the Mounting bar. It looks pretty simple to make...

Ill do a bit more checking - and order up some parts!!

KyBlue

I think I found one..

WheelHorse_of_course

Nice :whistle:

Dual Wheels

Here's a rough idea of one, if you want me to tear it apart and get better pics, let me know

100_0552.jpg

100_0553.jpg

There are two styles, this is the newer one. I know I bought the whole assembly last year, but you have to buy it in pieces and assemble it.

92Pony

And here are a few pics of it on the tractor:

IMG_3664sm.jpg

IMG_3666sm.jpg

IMG_3671sm.jpg

Hope that helps Scott!

Wade

Curmudgeon

I wondered how that sucker worked! It's the same, but different, than the one on mine. LOL

kj4kicks

One of the repro tiller idler assemblies just got listed.

Tiller Idler assy

KyBlue

Thanks Wade!! Its good to see how it goes together. I found a Repro one, thats not buy the guy on Ebay. Thou I did send him a email.

Everything is still available from Toro except for the bar assembly ... the pullies and what not alone was 80 bucks or so ...

Thanks again for the help ya'll! Ill be sure to get some video and pics when I get it all workin

KyBlue

You know, now having seen the original, there are some differences between the ones pictured above, and the Repro ones -

87a4_1.JPG

It looks like he's simplified the whole assembly to rotate instead of just the pullies. I dont really see this as being a problem thou.

TT

Bill (Jenkins -- the seller on ebay) didn't simplify it, Scott -- that's just a copy of the earlier version. (Look up 7-1252 at the MPV.)

KyBlue

Okay TT good to know.

KyBlue

Well I went and drug the Tiller home today. Its in Really good shape. I dont think its EVER been stored indoors, so its got plenty of rust and very faded paint, but its still very very very solid. Not a bad buy for 100.00 - cost me 110 in gas to go the 600 mile roundtrip and 63 for the rental truck (better fuel mileage than my 250)

Get some pics in the AM

KyBlue

I got it off the truck this morning. Boy this thing is HEAVY!

IMG_4878.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

I'll Use it to get my Garden and flower beds turned up, then It'll be coming apart to get blasted and redone. Its in really good shape overall. Its mostly complete, nothing that I cant readily get from Toro - Including the Decals.

Ill be getting it mounted up here afterwhile. My Belt is sitting in town, but UPS wont deliver it until Tues. Thou they've had the belt since Early Friday morning ... WTH

Curmudgeon

Hate to burst your bubble, but the tines appear to be worn down quite a bit. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture. The tines are the wear point, and the most expensive thing to replace on a tiller.

Hope it tills well for you!!!!!!!!!!

KyBlue

We'll see how it does I suppose. I got it all mounted, Changed the Gear lube in it. Discovered it needs Seals.. badly. But it'll work to do my garden.

And if it needs new Tines, then It'll get new tines. Its only money. Ill pick em up over the winter... be glad to get it blasted up and repainted thou.

Curmudgeon

It's only money? Obviously you make a hell of a lot more than I do!!!! :whistle: :WRS:

KyBlue

Well maybe, I just dont have a huge amount of bills like alot of people. So I can afford my hobbies.

MaineDad

Scott,

I too bought a used tiller that needs to be sanded and painted. Let me know when you do yours so I can follow along. The one I found was stored inside and in real good shape, but the previous owners son pressured washed it one day and took a lot of paint off. Unfortunately, Wheel Horse did not put as much effort into their painting as they did the engineering of their products :whistle:

KyBlue

Will do!

I have to take it all the way apart, split the case, and put new seals in. I changed the Oil in it last night and it looked like...well Mud basically. Had some nice chunks in it :whistle: So it should be a learning thing!!

kpinnc

Scott, do yourself a favor (only money or not- LOL) and look around for tines on another tiller brand rather than Wheelhorse.

I picked up a new set of tines from a Ford that are identical to the Wheel Horse tines for less than half of what only ONE SIDE of the Wheel Horse tines cost. Pull the old ones off, and the new ones go right on with no problems.

I think just one side on the WH tines cost about $180. I got the set I found for $80, and I got both sides.

Call me crazy, but I have found that many of the parts Wheel Horse used on implements and the tractors were also used on other brands. For some reason, when it is associated with a Wheel Horse, the price usually doubles...

Good luck!

Kevin

TT

Here's the answer to your question, Scott.

The home made brackets you bought are fine for the dozer blade, but they aren't correct for the tiller. The OEM brackets have the notches centered directly under the axle housings.

052808007.jpg

052808005.jpg

KyBlue

TT, thats what I came to figure out. Ive since modified the aftermarket set. Not hard.

Thanks TT - Mucho Appreciato