Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Older mid-mount grader blade - will it fit?

Teddy da Bear

Just remember, it didn't freeze up overnight, so don't rush it. This is one of those times a bigger hammer is not a good idea.

Ohhhhhh but I love the bigger hammer! It is actually a lifestyle here on the farm.

I got an IH lo boy with a back blade. And it was rusted solid. I used penetrating oil but could not get it to budge. So I put it on....pulled out the pivot lock pin and ran it backwards into a large boulder.... Worked great..

But an IH blade is a lot sturdier than a wheel horse blade.

I think the other guys suggestions would work best....but I gotta be me!

Duff

Did you get that grader blade freed up yet, Deereman? :whistle:

Hi, guys!

Been off the site for a couple days tending to some work issues (hate it when work interferes with working on my Horse!). So here's the latest on that darned grader blade:

Once I smartened up and put the blade back on the mount to gain extra leverage, I got it freed up enough so I can swing it back and forth "lock to lock", so to speak. Two hands, feet well braced and a lot of pressure, but movement nonetheless. :D

But before I smartened up and put the hammer down I had apparently peened over the edges of the post the blade swivels on :imstupid: , so I spent some time with a file and my Dremel tool getting rid of the excess metal around the sides.

Borrowed a hub puller from a buddy who's a mechanic and have tried pulling the assembly apart using the "right tool". Still can't get it to slide off, so I'm back to penetrating oil and working it gradually while the oil does its stuff. I may try the heat trick again this evening with the hub puller giving me some extra pull (taking care not to heat the puller and destroy its temper).

And if that doesn't work, then it's a matter of trying every single suggestion you fellows have given me until the thing finally comes free.

Lotta work, but I think it will be well worth it in the long run!

Thanks as always! :WRS:

Deereman :D

T-Mo

Been off the site for a couple days tending to some work issues (hate it when work interferes with working on my Horse!).

I hate it when work interferes with anything, especially life. :whistle:

Curmudgeon

Heck, it's moving now, I see no need for any drastic measures. Keep spraying the lubricant of your choice on it, and work it back and forth. Every movement should be slightly easier than the previous one. Patience will get it off, unharmed, faster than anything else.

Maybe something is missing on mine, but when it's off the tractor and the lock is unlocked, that sucker will rotate real close to a full 180. What's this limited amount of rotation I keep hearing about?

Duff

Heck, it's moving now, I see no need for any drastic measures. Keep spraying the lubricant of your choice on it, and work it back and forth. Every movement should be slightly easier than the previous one. Patience will get it off, unharmed, faster than anything else.

Maybe something is missing on mine, but when it's off the tractor and the lock is unlocked, that sucker will rotate real close to a full 180. What's this limited amount of rotation I keep hearing about?

Hi, Dale and friends,

First, I got the thing apart just an hour ago, and what a relief! Turns out I had peened over the end of the pivot post when I was beating on it early on :imstupid: . Once I filed/ground it back to the original diameter and worked it for a bit, it loosened up a lot. Finished the job with a hub puller. :whistle: Lotta gunk inside the tube, mostly hardened grease and some rust. Nothing some patient work with a wire brush and emory paper won't cure! :D

Now to the rotation thing. This is an old unit and is a belly-mount, not one that hooks up to the rear attachment point like the newer grader blades. It only has three "stops" (where the locking pin drops in to hold it left/center/right) and the maximum swing is about 45 degrees total. Since it's only a 42" blade and the wheel base is about 37" wide, it seems to me the design is correct for that length blade. If the blade were longer so the material being pushed out of the way was discharged farther away from the tractor, I'd say it should have more angle available.

Now if all of that makes any sense to anyone but me........ :D

What's the best way to degrease the unit now for paint? It's been soaked with PB Blaster and oil, but nothing silicone-based that I'm aware of. Any ideas will be deeply appreciated!

Thanks to all for the encouragement, info, ideas and patience!

Deereman :WRS:

Curmudgeon

Deereman,

That's the same blade I have, and yes, at the lock in settings, there isn't much rotation. But mine will swing right past those holes until the forward reaching frame part of the blade unit hits the blade itself, well past the last hole.

I know this because whenever I'm handling it off the tractor, it lops all over the place!

Mineral spirits to get the gunk off, and good old soap and water to remove traces of mineral spirits. Or just skip the mineral spirits and use some good soap, water and elbow grease. I find dish soap works well, you know, the stuff designed for cleaning greasy pans! LOL

Duff

Thanks, Dale!

I'll experiment with the blade swing - I probably overlooked something. I had been more worried more about getting it apart than how far it would pivot. Now I can play with it a little!

Mineral spirits, soap, water and elbow grease it will be!

Thanks again!

Deereman :whistle:

Kelly

If you can, sand blast it, and start fresh, if not start with engine degreaser and very hot water ( car wash), then good old laundry soap and more hot water.

Duff

Thanks, Kelly! :whistle:

I've got a buddy with a sandblaster who may have the time to help me out. After what I paid for the grader blade and all it took to get this cussed thing apart, I darn well want to restore it to as good condiiton as possible even though I plan to work the h*ll out of it!

Pics will follow!

Thanks again,

Deereman :WRS: