AMRIV1983

My 1981 C145 Automatic isn't charging the Battery

AMRIV1983

Guys,

I need some help. I have a 1981 C145 Automatic , I am having a problem of the tractor not charging the battery. Battery is taking a charge and test out well, but when I run the tractor at full power the voltage on the battery shows 12.5 VDC and when run the lights it drops down to 12.1VDC I know it should be showing between 13.6 - 14.0 VDC. Can someone tell me were I should check to find the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Addison

AMRIV1983

Does this sound like a voltage regulator problem? :thumbs:

Addison

Kelly

I'm not great at elect. stuff but I will say first clean all the wire connections, I like to add Dialectic grease to all of them after cleaning, it helps keep moisture out, make sure the volt reg. is grounded good, I would remove it clean the mounting surface both the tractor and reg. apply the grease to the back of the reg. before bolting it back on, I had a C-101 that would not charge a few weeks ago, it was just dirty connectors, all this will cost is time and a tube of dialectic grease, you can get it at a auto parts stores.

rmaynard

This is a generic troubleshoot for all tractors with a battery ignition. As with all electrical problems, start with the basics.

Check, clean, and be sure that ALL ground connections are good.

Your tractor has a stator under the flywheel. Two wires come out of the engine and connect to the regulator. Be sure that the connection is clean. Be sure that the regulator is securely grounded to the body of the tractor.

Remove the stator wires from the regulator and check the voltage. It should be about 28 volts AC at 3600 RPM.

Next, if you have proper AC voltage, reconnect the wires. At 3600 RPM, the output from the regulator should be about 14 to 15 volts DC. Check it with your meter between the DC+ output lug and ground. If you don't have the required output, you can safely assume there is a problem with the regulator. If you do, check the + side of the ammeter. If the voltage is correct there, check the fuse. Check all electrical connection between the output side of the regulator and the battery.

stevebo

Addison,

You need to check the voltage coming from the stator going to the voltage regulator. You should have 35-45 from the stator to the voltage regulator. The regulator converts the power from ac to dc (I believe) and coming off the regulator you should be about 13-14 depending on the rpm. Get yourself a cheap voltage regulator at wal mart or other.

Check the battery voltage with the tractor off then start it and see if it goes up. If not.. it is not charging. IMO sounds like a voltage regulator. Hope other than this small issue the C145 is treating you well. That is one clean tractor !!

Kelly

On a side note, are you 100 years old this year?? if so you have to be the oldest member we have, and still messing with these little red tractors. my hats off to you.

corn53

:thumbs:

smoreau

:thumbs: I hope I live that long and still playing with :thumbs: tractors! :thumbs:

stevebo

Guys,

He is not 100 years old. I met him at the show last year as he pre purchased this very clean one owner C145 that I delivered to him-nice guy and if I had to guess I would say late 20's or early 30's. :thumbs:

Tony S

On both of my tractors I have fitted a small earth wire between the bolt going through the regulator and the battery earthing point. I learnt to do this from a previous post on here and it solved the problem.

Kelly

Well look at his profile, it says april 7 1911

AMRIV1983

Guys,

I Checked the voltage from the Stator and it was 39vac and only 12.5 vdc coming out of the voltage regulator, so it looks to be the voltage regulator is bad. I did purchase voltage regulator but i will have to make a modification on how it mounts to the tractor. I do apreciate all of the help. Also I did fix my profile, so it shows the correct year i was born. I am not to sure why 1911 was under my year of birth.

Take care

Addison

WH854

:thumbs: I like them Black Hoods :thumbs:

Chas

stevebo

And here is the gem he is working on.....

2-4.jpg

d200

Glad to hear you got all the bugs worked out what a beautiful horse, your right stevebo