Sign in to follow this  
CHARGER9AUTO

Wheel Horse Tractors

CHARGER9AUTO

I like working on my tractors in the garage than the ones sitting outside doing nothing it must happen to everyone you'll buy a tractor and need room so you take one of them and park some where in the back yard and never use it again .

the only ones I enjoy useing is the '73 8 HP 4-Speed , '65 1045 , '67 L - 107 Lawn Ranger , '79 C-121 AUTOMATIC , '88 416-8 , '69 GT -14 I just have too many tractors to keep track of maybe I should gotten into this hobby in the first place so many years ago :D Ben......

Sparky

Its good that your into these tractors. There are a whole bunch of worse hobbies thats fer sure. But as far as puttin em outside I can relate. I have a few to many to store indoors(new garage is coming :D ). I have a 1979 C-81 that has the 8 pinion tranny but no motor so I decided to build a puller out of it. It was in the big shed and every so often when I had some free time I would work on it. Then a C-125 Auto came home from the Wheel Horse show a couple years back and moved into the shed and to make room the C-81 was "relocated" to outside, next to the shed, covered with a tarp :P . Its been there ever since and I have not touched it since it was moved.

Mike....

PS...anyone interested in a 1979 C-81 with no motor. Has 8 speed -8 pinion tranny

CHARGER9AUTO

Its good that your into these tractors. There are a whole bunch of worse hobbies thats fer sure. But as far as puttin em outside I can relate. I have a few to many to store indoors(new garage is coming :D ). I have a 1979 C-81 that has the 8 pinion tranny but no motor so I decided to build a puller out of it. It was in the big shed and every so often when I had some free time I would work on it. Then a C-125 Auto came home from the Wheel Horse show a couple years back and moved into the shed and to make room the C-81 was "relocated" to outside, next to the shed, covered with a tarp :P . Its been there ever since and I have not touched it since it was moved.

Mike....

PS...anyone interested in a 1979 C-81 with no motor. Has 8 speed -8 pinion tranny

Mike , I have a '79 C-81 and '81 C-85 8-Speeds I put the Kohler K-181S 8 HP engine the tractor and wire everything up and then find out it has not spark so I loose intrest in starting another project on what ever tractor I want to rebuild .

I'm thinking taking my '74 C-100 8-Speed and put the Kohler K-341 16 HP motor

that sitting on the floor of my garage I'm sorry for rambling on like I was out of my mind . Ben

refracman

I can understand bout haven them out side, i have all my gt14s outside right now cause im addin cabinets to the front gararge, and am thinkin of sellin off a couple :P but my problem is which one to sell. And why do i keep buyin more? :D , i just picked up a couple of Ds and yet to figure out why i did !

This here addiction is gittin out of control :(

T-Mo

Right now, I have room for what I got, but just barely. I'm thinking of getting a snow blade for the 314-8, and if I do, then I might not have room for everything. I hate to put my tractors outside under a tarp. But when you run out of room, what do you do?

Sparky

Well heres what I did a couple of years ago. I bought off E-bay a brand new "Portable Garage" for about $430. Its the type with a steel frame and then a tarp-like material goes over the frame and ends. Its 12'wide x 20' long x 8' high and will hold 9 "C" Series size tractors. Now to keep all my stuff off the ground which we all know will rust up our beloved tractors real quick I built a 12x20 deck that the garage sits on. I used pressure treated 2x10's and 3/4" OSB for the floor. The garage material has a skirt that would normally sit on the ground but instead hangs over the edge of the deck so the wind wont get into it. The deck was about $450 in material so for under $1000 I have a good size tractor storage building. Not to mention no permits required by the town.

Mike....

kpinnc

I guess I got lucky. I have an old barn that I keep some of mine in. Wheel Horses are pretty collectable down here, whether you pay for them or not. I worry about them walking away on thier own, so I keep a minimum of 4 in my utility building, and just have to keep the rest in the barn.

I can see how it would become neccesary to keep one outside, but I hate to see them just left out to rust. I can name a few examples:

-I know where there is a sharp Suburban 400 in a flowerbed as decoration, right beside the "beware of dog" sign.

-I know of a 416-8 that is rusting away to nothing because the owner refuses to sell it to anyone for less than his minimum, and it's not worth much at all.

-A rear tiller attachment down the street in the woods, the guy wants $200 for. The tines are worn down to nothing, and the bearings are worn out.

-A 520-H that sat behind a service station for 7 years without being covered up. I asked about it a couple years ago, and they wanted $500 for it (calm down, it was a rust hole covered heap with a busted Onan), only to ask $900 for it the last time I asked...

-I also know where a D-250 sits in the middle of a back parking lot out in the open. This guy wanted $500 for a Raider 8 that was junk. I don't even want to ask about the D-250. He wanted $300 for just a 8 speed tranny...

-There's a guy 8 miles from here, with a 603, multiple lawn rangers, probably 10 B/C series (he says he has over 50 wheel horses altogether), John Deeres, cubs, simplicity, Case, You name it. He says he's gonna build a museum and put them all in it. The guy has probably 300 tractors, and almost all of them are out in the open. His property looks like a salvage yard. HE REFUSES TO SELL A SINGLE ONE OF THEM, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU OFFER HIM. He sells and repairs old MTD style junk.

And the list goes on...

I understand some people don't have room, but it kills me to see such equipment rust away to nothing. They don't make this stuff anymore! I guess that's why we all like them so much.

Sorry, but the stuff people do with these around here makes me sick. I could probably fit 30 or more tractors in my barn. If I could afford it, I could have a great collection here, and never drive over 10 miles to get it.

CHARGER9AUTO

I guess I got lucky. I have an old barn that I keep some of mine in. Wheel Horses are pretty collectable down here, whether you pay for them or not. I worry about them walking away on thier own, so I keep a minimum of 4 in my utility building, and just have to keep the rest in the barn.

I can see how it would become neccesary to keep one outside, but I hate to see them just left out to rust. I can name a few examples:

-I know where there is a sharp Suburban 400 in a flowerbed as decoration, right beside the "beware of dog" sign.

-I know of a 416-8 that is rusting away to nothing because the owner refuses to sell it to anyone for less than his minimum, and it's not worth much at all.

-A rear tiller attachment down the street in the woods, the guy wants $200 for. The tines are worn down to nothing, and the bearings are worn out.

-A 520-H that sat behind a service station for 7 years without being covered up. I asked about it a couple years ago, and they wanted $500 for it (calm down, it was a rust hole covered heap with a busted Onan), only to ask $900 for it the last time I asked...

-I also know where a D-250 sits in the middle of a back parking lot out in the open. This guy wanted $500 for a Raider 8 that was junk. I don't even want to ask about the D-250. He wanted $300 for just a 8 speed tranny...

-There's a guy 8 miles from here, with a 603, multiple lawn rangers, probably 10 B/C series (he says he has over 50 wheel horses altogether), John Deeres, cubs, simplicity, Case, You name it. He says he's gonna build a museum and put them all in it. The guy has probably 300 tractors, and almost all of them are out in the open. His property looks like a salvage yard. HE REFUSES TO SELL A SINGLE ONE OF THEM, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU OFFER HIM. He sells and repairs old MTD style junk.

And the list goes on...

I understand some people don't have room, but it kills me to see such equipment rust away to nothing. They don't make this stuff anymore! I guess that's why we all like them so much.

Sorry, but the stuff people do with these around here makes me sick. I could probably fit 30 or more tractors in my barn. If I could afford it, I could have a great collection here, and never drive over 10 miles to get it.

Guy's , I have all these Wheel Horses parked outside but don't have enough parts to rebuild them all at once . Yeah we keep on buying tractors when ever one comes up for sale I would like to sell the one I never use anymore parts Horses

but I hate to bring two down to the show in PA and then haul them back home again . Ben.... :D

CHARGER9AUTO

And the list goes on...

I made some of you Guy's very upset at me for starting a thread on storing Wheel Horse tractors outside because no available space in our sheds or garages to store them inside where it's dry from rain or snow and moisture from rusting away once again I am deeply sorry for voicing my opinion . Ben... :D :P

refracman

Ben, there is no need to say your sorry. True i do not like storeing them outside but when cover up good and driven once in while or moved around on occasion they do ok. I use rubber roofing material for tarps the stuff lasts forever most of the peices i use are at least 12 yrs old and in the same condition as when i got it ( use to be a roofer).

So dont fret we have put ourselfs in this predicament and should know how to get ourselfs out of it if we want

Steve being way to philopsophical for my own good

perry

the 1067 i bought this year was sitting outside wrapped tight in a tarp for about 3 years. when the guy took the tarp off he was in shock :D . the crome dash was solid rust, the paint was pealing, and ants had eatin the seat and takin over the whole tractor.

in the past he had repainted it, new decals, new dash, seat, ect. took me forever to get all the ants out of the seat and engine. you cant leave them under a tarp for long. you have to take care of them.

Curmudgeon

Tarps are a great gatherer of moisture. Anything under one will actually be exposed to more water than if left uncovered. They do keep the sunlight off though, so it's your choice.

When I've used a tarp, which I HATE doing as they do promote rust, I always make sure they don't contact the ground all the way around. This allows for some air movement under them so the condensation can evaporate.

Dale

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben, there is no need to say your sorry. True i do not like storeing them outside but when cover up good and driven once in while or moved around on occasion they do ok. I use rubber roofing material for tarps the stuff lasts forever most of the peices i use are at least 12 yrs old and in the same condition as when i got it ( use to be a roofer).

So dont fret we have put ourselfs in this predicament and should know how to get ourselfs out of it if we want

Steve being way to philopsophical for my own good

Steve, I have my '69 GT - 14 covered up with a Green tarp outside the same with the 551 it has a tarp over the tractor but it does not bother me . Ben

kpinnc

Ben, I promise you did not upset anyone. You certainly didn't upset me. In my previous post, what I spoke of was people who have no intention of doing anything with, and just let them rot. As I said before, you gotta do what the room you have available lets you do. At least you are actively doing something with them all. Plus, you know what you have, and they aren't just decor for the flowerbeds...

If anyone should apologize, perhaps it is me. If what I said sounded harsh, it was not intended towards your post. What I spoke of was completely different. I'm sorry if that was not clear. When I said "stuff people do around here makes me sick", I was making reference to here in North Carolina. My list on the post was all local to me, and in no way was meant for the posts or people making them in this forum. I re-read my post after seeing your's, and if taken the way I think you took it, I can see what you got from it. I am embarrassed to have worded that the way I did.

I am truly sorry, and I should've proofed what I posted.

Kevin

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben, I promise you did not upset anyone. You certainly didn't upset me. In my previous post, what I spoke of was people who have no intention of doing anything with, and just let them rot. As I said before, you gotta do what the room you have available lets you do. At least you are actively doing something with them all. Plus, you know what you have, and they aren't just decor for the flowerbeds...

If anyone should apologize, perhaps it is me. If what I said sounded harsh, it was not intended towards your post. What I spoke of was completely different. I'm sorry if that was not clear. When I said "stuff people do around here makes me sick", I was making reference to here in North Carolina. My list on the post was all local to me, and in no way was meant for the posts or people making them in this forum. I re-read my post after seeing your's, and if taken the way I think you took it, I can see what you got from it. I am embarrassed to have worded that the way I did.

I am truly sorry, and I should've proofed what I posted.

Kevin

Kevin, I have been collecting and restoring Wheel Horse tractors for almost 10 years I'm not offened by your wrong choice of words when posting a message . Ben

Curmudgeon

North Carolina isn't the only place!!!! Michigan can be just as bad. It's a universal, all over thing.

Dale

Banjo

Tarps are a great gatherer of moisture. Anything under one will actually be exposed to more water than if left uncovered. They do keep the sunlight off though, so it's your choice.

When I've used a tarp, which I HATE doing as they do promote rust, I always make sure they don't contact the ground all the way around. This allows for some air movement under them so the condensation can evaporate.

Dale

I have been known to store a car or two outside over the winter with the tarp UNDER the car to keep the moisture away.

Why not put a tractor on a tarp and then cover it as well?

mailman

Its good that your into these tractors. There are a whole bunch of worse hobbies thats fer sure. But as far as puttin em outside I can relate. I have a few to many to store indoors(new garage is coming :whistle: ). I have a 1979 C-81 that has the 8 pinion tranny but no motor so I decided to build a puller out of it. It was in the big shed and every so often when I had some free time I would work on it. Then a C-125 Auto came home from the Wheel Horse show a couple years back and moved into the shed and to make room the C-81 was "relocated" to outside, next to the shed, covered with a tarp :WRS: . Its been there ever since and I have not touched it since it was moved.

Mike....

Hey Mike,

Would that tranny work on the C-100?

CHARGER9AUTO

Sparky

Hey Mike,

Would that tranny work on the C-100?

Eric.

It sure would. You can come and check it out when you pick up your tractors.

Mike...........

mailman

Hey Mike,

I just realized I never got a chance to check out that rear. I was just going over a bunch of posts and this one came up. Sorry I didn't do that.

By the way, do you have any use for a Tecumseh out of a Charger 9? It doesn't have a carb, but it turns over with compression. I believe it is a 10 hp.

Sparky

A Tecumseh 9 eh??

I'm all set...my boat allready has an anchor :whistle: .

I'm not a big Tec fan as you can see but thanks anyway.

Mike........