Sign in to follow this  
frankiefiredog

Restoring Dad's 1974 C-120 Auto

daveoman1966

Before you get this C-120 ready to put back on it's wheels, I urge you to look under the frame where it bolts to the transmission. This is a weak spot in the Wheelhorse design and is very often badly cracked. If yours is cracked, be sure to have it welded and reinforced.

Here is a pic of what I found on a C-120 that I repaired for my neighbor.

Attached Image

post-70-1301809002.jpg

smoreau

Looking real good!! your on the right track to getting your c-120 dune up really nice. Weather here is starting to get a little warmer and I want to get back to finishing my fathers 875. The itch has been getting to me and plan on doing more work in about 2 weeks. :wh: :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

The fender and the seat pan have nicely welded and ground down. I took your advice and gave a good look at the tool box... Damn. I hate it when you guys are right! There was so much dead grass and build up on the bottom that I hadn't gotten too yet. It's cracked. Stress cracks much like the fender/seat bolt area. Nothing really big, but enough that I'm going back to my welding buddy for some TLC.

I also added a sandblasting cabinet and a parts washer to the garage during this past week. My oh my how I love a blasting cabinet!!! Rust, paint and primer don't stand a chance! And with the parts washer, grease and grime are on the run!!! GOOD STUFF!! I love this project! Having a great time! :D:D:wh:

And as always :thumbs::wh::D for your help and advice!!!

daveoman1966

What is your regular email address?

I am asking so I can provide you with a full description and pics of how to repair the cracks in the rear frame plate. I have done this with several Wheelhorse frames and it is a herculean repair barely noticeable.

I will, of course, offer this info to ANYONE with the same frame-plate repair issues.

Members may send me an off-site email and I'll make replies to anyone who asks.

send email to:

daveoman@windstream.net

Attached Image

post-70-1301939782.jpg

whfan74

What is your regular email address?

I am asking so I can provide you with a full description and pics of how to repair the cracks in the rear frame plate. I have done this with several Wheelhorse frames and it is a herculean repair barely noticeable.

I will, of course, offer this info to ANYONE with the same frame-plate repair issues.

Members may send me an off-site email and I'll make replies to anyone who asks.

send email to:

daveoman@windstream.net

Hey Dave any chance you would be willing to just post it on the board for everyone else to be able to see? It sure would save you from typing it over and over or dealing with many emails asking the same question. :wh: Would be curious to see how you deal with the situation........could make for a good thread! :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

Thanks for the email Dave. I have the toolbox all sandblasted (what did I ever do before I owned this sandblaster?) and will be having some welding done on it this weekend.

In other news, last night was a good night for more blasting, grinding, wheeling, and priming. These parts REALLY clean up nice! :thumbs: