Sign in to follow this  
frankiefiredog

Restoring Dad's 1974 C-120 Auto

frankiefiredog

It starts tonight. Here's where I started...

2011-03-12_18-03-48_690.jpg

2011-03-12_18-03-26_780.jpg

2010-11-05_17-41-01_984.jpg

and here's where I stopped for the night...

2011-03-12_21-04-52_158.jpg

2011-03-12_21-05-52_804.jpg

2011-03-12_21-05-23_225.jpg

2011-03-12_21-05-33_998.jpg

I'm planning on going all the way. Full on restore. I plan to rebuild my Tec HH120 that was on the tractor when dad gave it to me. I plan to take it down to the very last bolt. I want to make dad proud and hopefully finish with a showroom quality tractor that will bring back the memories. My dad's the greatest man that has ever lived.

I'm not the more mechanical person in the world, and seeing some of the things you guys have done here :thumbs: has made me question whether I can pull this off with some of my limited skills and equipment, but dammit I'm going to do my best!!! I'm sure I'll need your help along the way. :thumbs:

Here we go!!!

:thumbs:

tommy3horse

Hello;

Looks like a great candidate for a full-on restore. Looks like a new Kohler on it now.....why the Techy? :thumbs: Most were born with the Kohler engine.

Anyhow, good luck with every nut and bolt. I am sure it will be a real dandy tractor when finished.....keep us posted and of course, ask many questions. Lots of very knowledgeable folks here to assist you.

Tom

:thumbs:

frankiefiredog

Dad's was built with the Tec on it. It was starting to smoke pretty bad, so I bought a rebuilt Kohler and put it on there so I could keep the grass cut and snow plowed. I went out a couple of weekends ago and bought a 1982 SK486 to keep up with the work while I rebuild the C-120. Dad always liked the Tec and said he would like to see it back on there again someday.

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

smoreau

:thumbs: boy, that sounds a lot like what I'm doing with My fathers old 875 in my avatar. I'm trying to get it done before the 4th of july. I want pics of my dad tooling around the yard on his late fathers tractor. He isn't doing so good and I want some great keep sakes of him with a great big smile on his face. He has done so much for me and my little girl that I want him to to enjoy this old horse again. :thumbs: :thumbs:

mnWHfan

I think that it's great what you are doing and I wish you the best of luck. I am finishing up a surprise rebuild of the C175 automatic that I grew up on for my mother. It would have been nice to do it for my father when he was still alive, but it is still a big part of my memories. I spent alot of hours in my youth on that tractor and it is a lot of fun bringing it back to new. Again, good luck with your project.

dgoyette

Very nice tractor and a great one to restore...I like the Kohler but agree you should go back to the Tec if that was original.

Trouty56

I was curious about the tech vs kohler so I checked what info I had, which is somewhat limited to others here, and found one of the 1974 models (1-0495) had a tech on a hydro but in 1975 only a couple 8 speeds had techs. Maybe it is a 74 C-120 Auto??? :thumbs:

No matter...good luck with the restore... :thumbs:

dclarke

Looks like you're off to a good start, keep us posted with lots of pics. Good luck. :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

I was curious about the tech vs kohler so I checked what info I had, which is somewhat limited to others here, and found one of the 1974 models (1-0495) had a tech on a hydro but in 1975 only a couple 8 speeds had techs. Maybe it is a 74 C-120 Auto??? :thumbs:

No matter...good luck with the restore... :thumbs:

I know the Tec was original on this tractor. Maybe it was a left over 74 that he bought in 75? I'll have to go out and get the model number off the sticker and look it up. I never have. Always thought it was a 75. I checked the same parts list you did in the past and was satisfied when I saw that they shipped with a Tec. I guess I read it wrong that it was 1974 instead of 75? I know that Wheel Horse bought some Tec motors with an adapter plate during a strike at Kohler. I have the entire setup in the garage and ready for work. This is going to be fun. I have never taken an engine apart before. Nervous and excited at the same time.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.... :thumbs:

Thanks everyone. Today is more tearin down. I have a lot of respect for those that built these machines. There are A LOT of pieces!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

frankiefiredog

Monday morning update.

Had a buddy stop by last night and we removed that Kohler off the frame. I've got a frame, front axle, hydro and rear axle left. Tonight I will pull the hydro and tomorrow I will take the wheels off. Then it's time for sand blasting and wire wheel. I hope to have the tins done by next week at this time. My wife is patiently waiting for her spot back in the garage. I did have to move things around a little for an unexpected brake job on the Ridgeline. New Pads and Rotors and she's working perfectly. More Wheel Horse time!! :thumbs:

One thing I noticed that I never realized before, the front axle is just really floating on that axle shaft. I never knew how it was attached before. That spring clip sure does have an important job! Very cool design!

wheelhorse656

Looking forward to seeing it finished!! also keep posting pictures along the we! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Forest Road

All the talk of your dads here is getting to me. My dad has been having some major health issues. I certainly hope I can get him upstate one more time. And then take some shots of him and Cole on the Wheel Horses. He loves those things!

frankiefiredog

All the talk of your dads here is getting to me. My dad has been having some major health issues. I certainly hope I can get him upstate one more time. And then take some shots of him and Cole on the Wheel Horses. He loves those things!

I would encourage you to just make time and do it. Our lives get so busy and regrets come too quickly. Set aside the time and make it happen. That's what I'm trying to do as well. My dad is in good health, but I want to make sure that he's in good health when he comes up to the house in the next few months. Getting some pictures of him, my son, and my daughter on that :thumbs: means the world to me.

I also can't stress enough how much so many of you here at RedSquare have taught and inspired me to do this project. I have read so many of your stories and followed many of your projects. It really is a great place you have here and I'm glad that you share what you do with others! :thumbs:

Forest Road

Thanks! You're right. Over the last 3 weeks I was prepping myself to plan his funeral. The man I saw in rehab yesterday has blown my mind. He's bounced back so much!!! We certainly have some more time together. IF he's able he will be taking those photos in a the coming months!

Guys if you still have your parents treasure them! I had so much planned the last two years I pushed off. I'm praying I get to do some of it with dad this year!

frankiefiredog

I was out in the garage a few times this weekend continuing the stripping and wire wheel process. The frame and rear end are still connected and I'm not sure if I really need to break them down. What do you guys think?

I also bought paint. PPG IH RED. There were 2 variations and I opted for the one without the orange in it.

JimD

The bet thing about this restoration is that you're doing it for all the right reasons. Your Dad will be so proud. :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Take lots of pictures from different angles as you tear it down. will help bunches when putting it back together. trust me...do not rely on memory to know how the cables and wires go back on. :thumbs: Looking forward to following this post. :thumbs:

Duff

Ditto what Steve said...you can't take too many reference photos!

Ask me how I know..... :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

As far as pictures go, I may be too late...

I have this thing really torn apart and not a whole lot of pictures. I just get going and I forget to stop. This is a habit that I must break! Thankfully there are a lot of great references out on the web for these tractors. I think I can get her back together again. It seems the order of operations is very important in dis/reassembly. Live and learn. lol

I'm off all of next week and I don't really have any plans. Time for some hard core work on the Horse!

mavfreak

As far as pictures go, I may be too late...

I have this thing really torn apart and not a whole lot of pictures. I just get going and I forget to stop. This is a habit that I must break! Thankfully there are a lot of great references out on the web for these tractors. I think I can get her back together again. It seems the order of operations is very important in dis/reassembly. Live and learn. lol

I'm off all of next week and I don't really have any plans. Time for some hard core work on the Horse!

I do the same thing. Once I start I don't take time for pictures and then when done I think awe crap I sould have taken pitures!

stevebo

My take on breaking down further that you have it now all depends on if you plan on using it. If you are then you have gone far enough IMO. Paint the hydro and frame together. Oh yeah... the wife will not be patient for too long :wh: Keep up the progess and keep posting. :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

Hello fellow :D lovers. Todays update is fun and exciting, unless you're me. Then it's a real :thumbs: Here's problem one I found today...

2011-03-31_13-52-40_155.jpg

That's the seat bracket. It's cracked on the bend. The two sections that bend and are welded look good. So I'm having a buddy of mine drop a weld along the inside of that crack so it won't be visable to the outside of the tractor.

Since I can't seem to even have just one thing wrong, here's 4 more...

2011-03-31_13-51-41_287.jpg

2011-03-31_13-51-21_663.jpg

2011-03-31_13-51-14_314.jpg

2011-03-31_13-51-07_833.jpg

If you haven's figured it out yet, that's the fender where the seat springs attach. All 4 of the mounting holes are cracked. I realize that the springs attach to the top and I think my dad may have added (bolted) some steel plates to the bottom to further distribute the weight. Is this something I should try and fix? Should I try bolting MORE holes in addition to the 4 already there? The fender is otherwise in good shape as seen here...

2011-03-31_13-51-48_381.jpg

Otherwise, it's business as usual. The workbench is setup in the garage, and everything is now covered with a nice layer of fine Wheel Horse red paint and rust :wh:

Here are some pieces that have been primed await the 2nd sanding and top coat...

2011-03-31_13-52-02_50.jpg

2011-03-31_13-51-56_666.jpg

and the rest of the pile (including the hood) awaiting the wire wheel, grinder, sandpaper phase...

2011-03-31_13-52-08_639.jpg

and of course the frame awaiting it's turn!!!

2011-03-31_13-52-15_613.jpg

That's where I'm at today. I'm really pleased with how well the primer is setting and how smooth everything is. There will be some wetsanding on the belt cover, fender, and hood :wh::D

I need the workout that comes with wetsanding. The pain is worth it for the final product. Thanks again guys!

:D

:D

WH854

Howdy Dave!! Your :wh: is looking good, keep up the good work :thumbs:

Chas

d200

Looks awesome I'm sure that your dad will be very proud of you when he sees the time and work you put into bringing his horse back to life. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

If you haven's figured it out yet, that's the fender where the seat springs attach. All 4 of the mounting holes are cracked. I realize that the springs attach to the top and I think my dad may have added (bolted) some steel plates to the bottom to further distribute the weight. Is this something I should try and fix? Should I try bolting MORE holes in addition to the 4 already there? The fender is otherwise in good shape as seen here...

[

I'd have your buddy thats going to weld the seat for you weld up those cracks in the fender pan too. When you bolt the springs back on, put a strip of 1/8" thick flat bar on the underside to spead out the load.

Before your welder takes those bits away, have a look at the underside of the toolbox that lives under the back part of the seat. They are normally cracked fairly badly around the mounting holes too.

IMG_2384.jpg