Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

I BROKE A GREASE FITTING!

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Sometimes I don't know my own strength I guess! I was greasing my deck spindles dutifully and I broke one of! It wouldn't be so bad, but I already cut a nice hole in the deck to reach it-its been working fine-til now.

I got these spindles because the were in good shape AND they had nice ,big grease zerks on them-they were off a 1966 deck -please look at the picture-it's item number "3". I could probably braze something up, but I would rather buy one if I could- I checked NAPA online, didnt see any-TSC too, have you guys seem any?

I broke the very end where the actual Zerk is. I cant' get it apart to see if I could reuse the tube itself. I would appreciate any ideas-AL :WRS:

greasefitting.jpg

.5racer

Is that a 1/4 pipe end or 3/8 .. Just recut the end and put a threaded union and install a reg zert. Get a pic if ya can.

TT

I think they're just a standard 90 degree 1/8" NPT grease fitting.

illinilefttackle

:WRS: I know this pic is crude-My camera doesn't work-and my daughter is not around with hers-The red is what is broken off-the blue is what is left-the large end where the grease zerk was wont come off the tube-

the hole where the zerk was is not threaded, must have been soldered in.

The tube is 3/8" -if I can't find one -I guess i make one from scratch-but I was feeling lazy-hoped some store would have something-I have zerks but not big enough-Any ideas?-AL :whistle:

greasefitting2.jpg

Kelly

They make press fit zerks I had to get 1 for my JD spindle

TT

The pipe screws in the spindle housing, Al. You should be able to go to the hardware store and buy a piece of pipe of similar length - and either a coupler and a 90 degree fitting, or a 90 degree elbow and a straight fitting. It should all be 1/8" NPT.

You might need to "realign" the hole you cut in the deck a little though.

illinilefttackle

The pipe screws in the spindle housing, Al. You should be able to go to the hardware store and buy a piece of pipe of similar length - and either a coupler and a 90 degree fitting, or a 90 degree elbow and a straight fitting. It should all be 1/8" NPT.

You might need to "realign" the hole you cut in the deck a little though.

Thanks!-Thats what Ill do-it has to be strong enough to withstand the forces exerted by an .old. feeble guy, that doesn't know his own strength :imstupid: -I wish there was a way to brace it!-AL :whistle:

KyBlue

you could fabricate a Strap that goes around the pip and is bolted on either side of it. Just a smaller version of whats used when plumbing a house..

Might help anyhow.

illinilefttackle

you could fabricate a Strap that goes around the pip and is bolted on either side of it. Just a smaller version of whats used when plumbing a house..

Might help anyhow.

Hey! Good idea-pipe strap-I have some-out near the end thats hanging in the breeze! Ill do that-Thanks for the idea!-AL :whistle:

illinilefttackle

:D I know this pic is crude-My camera doesn't work-and my daughter is not around with hers-The red is what is broken off-the blue is what is left-the large end where the grease zerk was wont come off the tube-

the hole where the zerk was is not threaded, must have been soldered in.

The tube is 3/8" -if I can't find one -I guess i make one from scratch-but I was feeling lazy-hoped some store would have something-I have zerks but not big enough-Any ideas?-AL :whistle:

greasefitting2.jpg

:D Hey Guys!-I took the same old tube, drilled out the hole where the broken zert was-tapped it for threads-then took a small zerk out of a u-joint I had laying around-Waa-La! It works! Actually ends up lining up with the hole I drilled to access it better than it did originally. The jury is still out on putting a pipe strap brace on it-it's right down the whirl wind of the blades-don't really want to disturb that- Boy this deck cuts my grass well. Quiet, straight and true.

Thanks for the help! I'm greasing after every cut now-just have to watch I dont force it out onto blades or pulleys. :WRS: AL