Sign in to follow this  
mavfreak

pto safety switch

mavfreak

This morning i woke to several inches of snow.

Went to start the C up and it just cranks, Do a little search and I find a switch just hanging out under the battery tray with tape wrapped around it. I push the button in and crank it starts let it go it kills the engine.

I know there is no safety switch in the seat (the wires are cut and nothing is left from the PO to use) so I would guess this is why it will not stay running once it starts and then The button is released.

Now I know its not a good Idea to remove these safety switches and I can't seam to re tape it to hold the button in and the tractor to work. I did put a c clamp on it hold it in but it would keep falling off. Witch is very frustrating when trying to plow and having to stop and put a clamp back on.

Any Ideas on what I can do for this.

Actonhorse

I agree that it is not a good idea to disable safety switches but you could do a couple of temporary things to keep it in...

Put a zip ty around the switch or take the wires off and just put a jumper cable between them to eliminate the switch for now

Again, just temp fixes.

I have done this on a few tractors so you can start them while tuning so you don't have to be in the seat etc.

racinfool40

Mav Had the same problem on my c-161 this winter for a quick fix I tape a ball bearing against the little button and Taped it as tight as I could.. :thumbs: worked until I found a replacement....Which I did find a good one of a c-175 parts tractor I picked up. :thumbs:

mavfreak

Well I have tried all that and now have no start. The PO F ed up the switches bad now I have no start at all!

Wires are cut on all of them and the PTO switch is not working.

AS YOU CAN SEE I"M PISSED!

racinfool40

Heath if you don't have it fixed yet just run a wire from your s-post on the key switch to your starter selanoid- It will by pass all the safety switches then when this weather breaks you can go back and rewire correctly.. :thumbs: I have run across some pretty amazing wiring jobs but it all can be fixed.. :thumbs:

mavfreak

Already there and done that I know its temporary. I never noticed any of this when I had it apart before because they cut wires were they came out of the harness and then taped over them and removed the switches. I knew the seat switch was removed cause it was not in the seat pan when I removed it and the wires were just laying on the trans all taped up.

When I get the time I may Pull the entire harness and see what I can do.

I hate PO that hack and cut :thumbs:

mavfreak

On a side note.

I have been having problems with the key not shutting the engine down. By running a jumper wire it now shuts off immediately :thumbs:

mavfreak

I tried getting some pictures but its just to dark in my garage and the flash works to good. Anyway I traced were all the switch are at but the PO removed the switches completely and cut the wires. I don't really see how I can do anything with this other than rig it like they did. Its just missing entirely to much to try to make them all work again. I also tried posting the wire schematic for toro with no go on that just to show what I was missing. Basically the only switch that is there is the PTO switch, everything else is gone.

mavfreak

Well i successfully got the PTO switch thing figured out. But now my ignition switch went bad. I went and precessed a new switch and it worked for one start. now no power out of it. I took it back put in a new one and no power out of the new switch. Put in the old switch and it starts every time. :thumbs:

I hate electrical problems!!!!!!!!!!!

Duff

On a side note.

I have been having problems with the key not shutting the engine down. By running a jumper wire it now shuts off immediately :thumbs:

Heath, that problem may just have been a poor ground connection between the case of the ignition switch and the tractor. Even though my ignition switches are supposedly case-grounded I still run a jumper from the "G" terminal to the battery negative post. :thumbs:

And yeah - electrical problems can lead to a lot of cussin' and even a few thrown tools! :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs: