Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

I got a job!

WheelHorse_of_course

Hey Folks,

been out of work since last May 15th. Just started a new job this week.

I turn 50 next week and at least I'll have a job. Too bad I'm making only a few bucks above minimum wage.

Actually it is going to be a fun job and much less stress than anything I have done for years. I'll be working for a brand new ACE hardware store in Fairfax VA (contact me if you want the store URL).

After 90 days I'll be able to get hardware store items at very good prices, so our hobby may get some benefit in the form of bulk purchases.

Ace is a very cool company, actually it is a coop! We are getting some very fine training this week and next, and the store should be opening before the end of March.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

64s

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Good things come to those who wait - and now that you have a job, more offers will usually come in. :thumbs:

mr.pipes

Congratulations, you sound happy and you can't beat that.

I would like to get back to work sometime too. It's nice sometimes but does get old.

Fiscalyear

:thumbs: Congratulations Rolf. Wishing you luck. Puts a smile on your face I'm sure. Sounds like a great opportunity to get back into IT. Hope your new job is close to your home what with the direction the price of gas is going.

I turn 70 in a few weeks and haven't had any luck finding a job lately either. One could say I'm not trying real hard but you can only accept so many rejections.

:thumbs: Eddie

Horse'n Around

Congratulations,that's terrific Rolf,! What a great early Birthday present. I'm happy for you. Vicky,my ex-sister in law (were very close, shes like a sister to me) was a assistant manager at the Ace in Benson AZ. She has been with them for a good 12 years and she loves working there. She stepped from management due to being diagnosed with a cancer (she had a surgery and shes doing great) She said that Ace is an awesome company to work for :thumbs:

John

fabricator2009

Congrats. and good luck.

JimD

Best of luck with your new job. :thumbs:

mavfreak

well congratulations!

I have been on several interviews this past week hopefully I'll be joining you in the work force soon.

So now that you'll be getting discounts will there be a home remodeling project starting soon?

I'm so happy for you!

I like to see our members who have been out of work get new jobs! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: :thumbs:

smoreau

congratulations!! That sounds like a fun job. and good luck!! :thumbs:

dgoyette

Congratulations! Sounds like a great job.

I like my local Ace and do the bulk of my hardware shopping there. They are a little more expensive on most items than the big stores like HD and Lowes but the Ace has a few things going for it that they don't.

Our Ace has a very knowledgeable manager who has provided me with terrific advice on buying and actually how to do a few projects. Hard to find at the big stores. Our local Ace also has hardware that the big stores won't carry because the average consumer does not buy often. And also Ace is a lot easier on the in and out if it is a quick stop.

rmaynard

Congratulation on the new job. We are getting a new ACE about 10 miles from here. It's long overdue since Lowes and Home Depot ran the small, local hardware stores out of business.

:thumbs:

VinsRJ

Congrats!

I was lucky.... I was able to find a job before my actual lay-off date of 04/01/11. I got my notice on 01/02/11 (Happy New Year) and started my new job on 02/28/11. The other guys in my old department haven't been as lucky, I wish them and anyone in this situation the best of luck and to hold your head up high, you're not the only one dealing with this kind if sh......... :thumbs:

Not to mention my wife has been out of work since mid December.

Sleeping a little better at night? I am. :thumbs: :thumbs:

bmuone

Congratulations Ace Hardware! You are getting a good man!

jdpuller

Congradulations! :thumbs:

Coadster32

Congrats to you! :thumbs: I miss our old ACE hardware store. :thumbs: Now I'm kind of forced into going to Home Depot.

MikesRJ

Congratulations .. I know the feeling!

multihobbyguy

Congrats on the new job. Is it the ACE that is going in next to TJmaxx down by Old Town Fairfax? I drove by the other day and saw a sign and got very excited to see it going in. I currently have to drive 30mins to a place called Fischer's Hardware in Springfield to buy my nuts and bolts. I have tried the Home Depots but their nut and bolt isle is horrendous.

WheelHorse_of_course

Congrats on the new job. Is it the ACE that is going in next to TJmaxx down by Old Town Fairfax? I drove by the other day and saw a sign and got very excited to see it going in. I currently have to drive 30mins to a place called Fischer's Hardware in Springfield to buy my nuts and bolts. I have tried the Home Depots but their nut and bolt isle is horrendous.

Yup, that's the place! We are between Wallgreens and TJ Max.

We should be open before the end of March. I can't share the tentative date since it is subject to change. I'll add a comment to this thread when we open!

The size of the store, and range of stock is impressive. We'll even have some lumber. *Almost* a "Home Center" but no cabinetry (or flooring, I think).

I'll be one of 4 full-timers (plus the two owners who are twin brothers) plus we'll have 6 part-timers, two of them from Fischers!. A good team of people - I guess that is one of the few advantages of opening a store under the current conditions, they had lots of applicants to choose from. I am proud to have been chosen.

I can also say that the owners "get it". We'll be a good place to deal with.

Stop by and say hello. If you see a white and gray 3 wheeled "meter maid" vehicle in the parking lot, that means I am there! We'll get you signed up for a free Ace Awards card - You get $5 back for every $250 you spend plus a bunch of other good advantages.

It will be great to meet a local WH fan! I have only been in No. VA for two years.

C-Series14

:thumbs: Congrats!!!

multihobbyguy

I can't wait till you open. I really am excited for a better place for my nuts and bolts. It will be on my way to about everywhere I go here. I have only been around here three years myself. I am not sure I have met anyone yet from here :thumbs: . Seems like almost everyone I meet here is from some where else. Anyways I will be waiting for you post to when the opening day will be so I can come and check it out.

WheelHorse_of_course

Congratulations! Sounds like a great job.

I like my local Ace and do the bulk of my hardware shopping there. They are a little more expensive on most items than the big stores like HD and Lowes but the Ace has a few things going for it that they don't.

Our Ace has a very knowledgeable manager who has provided me with terrific advice on buying and actually how to do a few projects. Hard to find at the big stores. Our local Ace also has hardware that the big stores won't carry because the average consumer does not buy often. And also Ace is a lot easier on the in and out if it is a quick stop.

I want to thank all of you for the kin d words. And tell those still looking to "hang in there". Best of luck to you.

As far as ACE, I am really impressed. The staff and owners both are getting a lot of great training. And the owners have been in hardware for many years.

Our job is to be "the helpful place". That may mean helping you find what you are looking for and get you on your way. Or it it may be to give you that extra help to make sure you have what you need to get your project done.

It will be good working for a small company again. The cool thing is that ACE will give our small business the support of a larger organization.

Thanks again everyone!

:thumbs: :thumbs: