Sign in to follow this  
118lfd

Wheel weights only in winter?

118lfd

Do you guys run wheel weights all year? I am only mowing and pulling a trailer in the summer should I take off the weights? Will it hurt to leave them on? It does seem to ride better with the weights on.

Horse Fanatic

You can leave them on in the summer. I don't because my lawn is soft but many people do.

Tim

i leave them on year round, better traction when mowing

don't slide on downslopes

sorekiwi

I leave mine on as well. mainly cause I'm too lazy to take them off!

boatman

:thumbs: Hi There, I have 50lbs of weights on all my tractors and I leave them

on all year long. Better traction mowing on slopes and they ride better also.

Craig Arndt

I've taken mine off in the springtime, only to put them back on when I've needed to pull a plug aerator. So, they just stay on now. :thumbs:

rwilson

My dad leaves them on all year because of the hills we mow.

64s

I'll usually leave them on along with the chains - but the plow tractor usually only does pulling duty in the summer.

118lfd

Sounds good I will give it a shot and leave them on. I though about the weight issue and depressions in the grass but we have mostly sand here and it never gets mushy.

mavfreak

I pull mine off. I have a very wet yard and it leaves ruts even when off. I do leave on long enough to plow garden then they come off. I also have a very flat yard so traction is not a real issue.

dpm2000bolt

I have a snow plow on my Favorite and AG tires filled so each is about 70 Lbs then i have weights 50Lbs each and chains and I leave them on year round i mowed with it last year and had no issues

wheelhorse656

i leve min on all year around each one is 48 pounds.

SNYFIX

This is a good topic. We have seen more wear on trans/brake parts from leaving the weights on. It would be good to check your hubs for looseness

on a regular basis as well. Whenever we sold a new hub or possibly an axle due to a worn out keyway we would tell the customer to run the new set screw locknut all the way to the top of the set screw, tighten the set screw and then run the locknut down to the hub.

So on a regular basis, loosen your lock nut, check the tightness of your set screws and re-tighten your lock nut. What you DON'T want, especially now of expensive/obsolete parts is for your hubs to loosen up and either chuck back or forth or slide in.

Be a good idea too to replace your key if you find your hub(s) have been loose.

Some axles BTW as we know are OBS but sometimes a longer/or a bit shorter axle is still available which will not affect the performance of your tractor. (Except for wheel clearance from your mower guage wheels).

WheelHorseSteve

I've read that the instructions for the WH tractors recommends to NOT run loaded tires (citing possible transmission damage). Does the same go for wheel weights?

I plan on taking my weights off the turfs/chains for the Spring/Summer and putting on the Ags w/ no weights. It all depends on how you plan to use the tractor, I think... and your local conditions (terrain, grade, etc.)

SNYFIX

I've read that the instructions for the WH tractors recommends to NOT run loaded tires (citing possible transmission damage). Does the same go for wheel weights?

I plan on taking my weights off the turfs/chains for the Spring/Summer and putting on the Ags w/ no weights. It all depends on how you plan to use the tractor, I think... and your local conditions (terrain, grade, etc.)

Loaded tires is something different. It also has to do with the forward/backward momentum of the fluid and the forces that it causes on the braking system.

BTW, actually the fluid "stands still" while under motion but it's the stopping of the tractor. Wheel weights stay in motion with the tractor.

And of course we've all taken those hair-raising rides backwards because the brake bands don't work as well backwards as they do forwards -- --

WheelHorseSteve

Thanks SNYFIX! Those rides are especially hair-raising when you have a trailer behind you ready to jackknife... :thumbs: