Sign in to follow this  
MID-TN-857

New Wheel Horse Last Night

MID-TN-857

Hello all,

I purchased another Wheel Horse last night (Automatic-Hydrostat type). It has a K241S engine (10 H.P ???), after the test drive forward/reverse - mowed a little grass, deal was done. The owner wanted to keep the battery (car battery) so he took it out, it was all he and I could do to afterwards to push it on the trailer. I looked it over for a transmission release. He knew nothing about and neither did I. I know someone here will know.

I could not make out the I.D. number in the dark. It is a late 60's early 70's. Similar to a Charger.

Thanks

MaineDad

Can you post a picture?

Fiscalyear

Hello MID-TN-857 (856)

The hydrostatic transmissions have a "tow valve" that should be slightly opened to allow for pushing or low speed towing. This same feature is on riding lawn tractors. Hind sight shows that you should have loaded the tractor then removed the battery. :thumbs: I learned this with a Cub Cadet hydro - lesson learned.

My GT14 hydro has a release valve under the seat. Your release should be on the top side of the transmission, possibly under the seat. I'm sure you will find it.

Jim, if your new tractor looks as good as your 857 (856), you picked up a winner.

:thumbs: Eddie

MID-TN-857

After we strained for 5 minutes I asked the guy why did you take out that battery.

Pictures as soon as possible, rain tonight and tomorrow.

Also this tractor has the seat with the W.H. logo. It also has red wheel weights with a big "L" on them ???, the weights seem to be factory painted not after thought from previous owner(s). This is a pretty rough tractor. It is all there and all working other than ... there is a small slot (1/4" wide x 2" long) this right were the shifter would be on a none Hydro. ??? that seems to be gone or broken off. Like I said it was dark when I got home. I will get the I.D. number today.

I will check under the seat for the release.

Thanks

Old Dave

Tow valve should be under the seat on the top left side of the hydro. Turn it 1/2 turn CCW and push the parking brake down (Idler pully for the Hydrostat) to release the parking brake pawl inside the transmisssion. It should be able to be pushed now, make sure you turn the tow valve back 1/2 turn CW before you start it otherwise it won't move. Voice of experience... :thumbs:

btrrg1969

MID-TN-857,

did you buy that tractor at a welding shop in Sprinfield ? If so you beat me to the punch , congrats :thumbs: , I hope it will make you a good tractor

MID-TN-857

Thanks Old Dave, I will clean out the leaves and take a look.

Yes, I did get it from Springfield. A lot of interest but no would come and see it.

It will need alot of cleaning up, but it runs and mows.

wheelhorse656

here is a picture of the tow valve hope this helps you out!!!! :thumbs:

197172_199331893429437_100000578847230_664264_7303081_n.jpg

MID-TN-857

Mine has no such tow valve as that. I looked it over had last night, every bolt on it seems to be holding the thing together.

MID-TN-857

The I.D. tag number is T1076 - 214731

Who knows what make and year ???

catman81056

Its a 10hp, made in 1966, the 7 designates hydro tranny.

rmaynard

If it's a 1076, go to MyWheelHorse.com and look at the manual. It shows the valve on the back, left side of the transmission, between the transmission and the toolbox.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...IPL_271-272.pdf

MID-TN-857

Thanks Catman,

That's the same year as my 856.

Old Dave

If you want to download the manual for your machine go to the LINKS page on this site (At the top) and click on Toro/Wheel horse product manuals. Put the 1076 in as the model # and click on the operator manual. I looked at it and the tow valve is on the backside (left) of the pump and requires a 1/2" wrench to open it. They got smarter on the later ones and put it up on top like the picture that was posted by one of the other members. :thumbs:

Good Luck,

Dave

wheelhorse656

its not the nut you are trying to turn its the shaft with the pin threw it that turns. sorry i should have been more spacific. Hope this helps. Thanks Jordan

rmaynard

Here is the picture straight from the 1076 manual.

0d07141f.jpg

MID-TN-857

Thanks Bob,

I found it last night after getting a putty knife out and scraping out the old grass and leaves. Turn and a half and I was in business.

Thanks to everyone that helped out.

Now, who has a couple of front wheels and tires that hold air for sale ???

Jim

SNYFIX

Always use caution when buying a hydro where the owner used a aftermarket filter. They're not the same as a automotive filter like folks that want to save $$ think ----