Sign in to follow this  
Scot

replacing ammeter w/ volt meter

Scot

My tractor is not charging right now. next time i run it low on fuel i'm going to pull the gas tank and fix the rats nest of wiring behind the dash and correct all the problems. currently my ammeter housing is broken. i would rather replace it with a voltage guage. Will my charging system still work if i use a volt guage instead of an ammeter guage?

meadowfield

If you join the wires then yes it should, connecting a voltmeter from the join to ground should give you an indication of battery status and whether you are charging.

mark

iicap

meadowfield has given you the correct info on joining the two wires together that were attached to the ammeter. The voltmeter should be hooked to ground and the other terminal to the ignition or accessory teminal of the ignition switch so it only reads when the igniton switch is on.

meadowfield

meadowfield has given you the correct info on joining the two wires together that were attached to the ammeter. The voltmeter should be hooked to ground and the other terminal to the ignition or accessory teminal of the ignition switch so it only reads when the igniton switch is on.

doh !

yes, if the ammeter is on the battery side of the switch then the voltmeter should be on the ignition switched side.

I should remember that as I connected my hour meter to the ammeter out of laziness and clocked up 200 hours between visits to the shed!!!! :thumbs:

mark

iicap

LOL, imagine, 200 hrs of seat time and you never enjoyed a second of it :thumbs: