Sign in to follow this  
Fiscalyear

Carb on Craftsman Tractor

Fiscalyear

Too many years since I had a carb apart (1950's). Mostly just to clean the float bowl out and adjust the float. Now my question is, can a carb be taken apart, cleaned and reassembled without destroying the gaskets? (reuse gaskets)

The engine on my Craftsman Lawn Tractor (1999 year) is surging at less than half throttle and won't run at all unless the choke is pulled out about half way. I recently cleaned the fuel tank and put a new filter and fuel lines on it. I have just replaced the complete carb on most other machines up until now. I kinda want to give this one a cleaning and see if it works prior to an expensive replacement. I figure a new carb for this old hack would probably cost more than it's worth.

I know some would advise to replace the old girl (the whole mower) but this machine is a part of my "FLEET". Besides, the GT14 would seem lost without this stable mate. If I try and fail I may be 'pushing' a lawn mower this season. :thumbs:

:thumbs: Eddie

Kelly

well I've had pretty good luck pulling carbs apart and reusing the gaskets, I really like to use a new carb to block gasket everytime, but if you tear one DON'T reuse it, you didn'r say what engine, I know craftsman use many engine types, so I 'm not going to guess, some engines I've just pulled the jets/screws out and sprayed carb cleaner in the hole with the tube on the can and claened the jet, count how many turns to remove it, that is a starting point for adjusting the cab.

NO silicone on carbs.

sorekiwi

I'm not familiar with Craftsman carbs either, but I often just clean carbs without putting a kit in them.

If it has a gasket at the top of the fuel bowl, unless the carb is flooding this gasket should be above the fuel level anyway. The carb to block gasket is usually an easy one to make if you have to.

Fiscalyear

Thanks guys.

A shot of carb cleaner here and a shot there followed be a slight adjustment and I'm back in business. Fresh gas and new plugs didn't hurt.

:thumbs:

:thumbs: Eddie