Sign in to follow this  
cpete1

Fuel pump on 416-8spd

cpete1

Been running fine all winter, went to move my tractor and it cut out. Blew the gas line out, disaasembled the nikki fuel pump, looked things over and reassembled. I used some ether and the tractor started and ran fine. I tried turning the engine over with the fuel line off after the pump. Fuel flowed but nothing to brag about. Also, the metal plate on the diaphram was loose, not fastened to the diaphram in the center. Need a lesson in fuel pump design and function.

Chris

rwilson

Sounds like you need a new diaphram. I'm not sure if they are available anymore but maybe.

cpete1

Wow, :thumbs::thumbs: not much action on this question. I took the pump off and used rtv silicone to fasten the metal plunger back onto the diaphram. Made a big difference but also ordered another one from an onan distributer. Prices range from 154 (ouch) toro to 56 + shipping. Will report back as to how things work out. The next thought was to replace the pump with another diaphram thats more comman or go with a small electric one that napa sells. IF ANYBODY HAS TRIED THIS, CHIME IN> Thanks R for the reply.

Chris

KB9LOR

Wow, :thumbs::thumbs: not much action on this question. I took the pump off and used rtv silicone to fasten the metal plunger back onto the diaphram. Made a big difference but also ordered another one from an onan distributer. Prices range from 154 (ouch) toro to 56 + shipping. Will report back as to how things work out. The next thought was to replace the pump with another diaphram thats more comman or go with a small electric one that napa sells. IF ANYBODY HAS TRIED THIS, CHIME IN> Thanks R for the reply.

Chris

I know my D-160 , the PO put a electric on it and it would not run right, because if it has more than 4-6 psi it will blow by the needle valve, unhooked the electirc and rehooked the original back up and now it runs fine.

TT

The next thought was to replace the pump with another diaphram thats more comman or go with a small electric one that napa sells. IF ANYBODY HAS TRIED THIS, CHIME IN

This is what I have used:

B&S "vacuum" fuel pump

Of course, I'm more concerned with function than appearance - and it's much easier than installing an electric pump.

You will have to extend or install a longer "pulse" hose on the Onan twins - and it's up to you how/where you mount the pump.

cpete1

Napa sells an electric pump that doesn't make too much pressure. I read somewhere else that some of the Puller guys use it. Terry, thats what I was going to do but I found an OEM pump not as expensive as the Toro model. We'll see when it arrives. The fix I did is holding up but don't want to chance it. Thanks for the input. Seems like everything I'm dealing with right now is "out-dated", starting to make me feel old.

Chris

sorekiwi

I have the same pump as Terry linked to on my 518, and it works fine. Think I paid about $25 for it.

wheelhorsejoe

This is the electric fuel pump that some W/H owners are replacing the original one with, Napa 610-1051 brand name is Purolator/Facet part # EFP-3.

cpete1

I received the new pump today. It has the same configuration as the original but is a tad shorter. It bolted on ok and I started the tractor, seemed to run fine but I'll know for sure next snow storm. Thanks for the input.

Chris