Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

417-8

Shuboxlover

I have a lead on a 417-8, I know some of them had the "bad" kohler in them, what year/s did those come in? Just trying to figure out some info on it before I go look at it. Any other things I should know about it?

Sparky

I think the 400 series with the KT-17's are fine. Its the older ones on the early 80's black hoods which were troublesome.

Mike......

Kelly

I could be wrong, but the series 2 engine has a oil filter, like the Magnums and the series 1 I know does not.

n1defan

Not all series II have oil filters. The one that I sold Scott did not have one.

Shuboxlover

How do I tell if it's a series II???

Would this have an electric lift on it, or was that strictly an option?

TT

All 417's had the series II engine.

Electric lift was optional on 1985 models and standard on 1986 models.

bmuone

The 417A I have has a serial nr 31-17KE02. So the 02 (vs01) might indicate the second series. Also, the spec number 24363, which mine also has, does indicate the second series. And mine does not have a oil filter.

Shuboxlover

All 417's had the series II engine.

What model :thumbs: had the series I then ??

520HC

The C-175 had the series I

bmuone

I checked my book and it says..Model KT17 Series II-Specifications 24300 and higher. So you just need to see what the spec number is on that tractor engine. I know there has been a lot of discussion on this site about the series I and II which might help you. Good luck.

mr.pipes

Model KT17 Series II-Specifications 24300 and higher. So you just need to see what the spec number is on that tractor engine.

bmuone is correct about the specification numbers

KT17 Spec 24299 and lower

KT17-II Spec 24300 and higher

KT17 uses a Pressurized Spray lubrication system at about 5psi

KT17-II has a Full Pressure lubrication system at 25-50psi

Both have oil pumps that deliver oil to the main crankshaft and camshaft.Other than the pressure, the main difference is how the connecting rod journal bearings are lubed.

The series I bearings were lubed from oil sprayed from two small holes drilled in the camshaft.

The series II sprayed the journal bearings directly.

There has been talk before that the problem with the Series I was when it was operated on a slope there would be lubrication problems. According to the Kohler Manual, the oil pickup is in the same location on both engines and the center location ensures proper lubrication at operating angles up to 30 degrees.

It appears a lower oil level would reduce the angle you could operate the engine without harm. This seems like it would apply to both Series.

I have a 85 and 86 417-8 and neither has an oil filter. I have never seen a KT17-II with an oil filter and there is no mention in the manual I have.

Shuboxlover, one way to tell the year if there is no sticker is the 86 have a louvered hood and a chrome muffler and air cleaner

Shuboxlover

WOW!!!!

Mr.Pipes, Thank-You!!!!! Very useful info.

Do you like your 417's?

How do you think they would perform against a C-160?

jtmoyer

the 417's are nice. had one with the electric lift, sold it to anther member. the twin will suck a bit more gas then the c160. the lift was slow but it was nice for lifting the tiller.

boovuc

I love my Series I KT on the C-175. It's still my primary work tractor and has been since the early 90's when I bought it. :thumbs:

Plenty of power and smooth! Best of all, after playing with a 416-8 speed Onan, I'm reasonably certain that my Kohler uses less gas than the Onan. As JT says though, the single Kohler's use far less than a twin.

After my most recent visit to the gas station........I may start using the singles I have to do all the mowing this summer. Or buy a few goats! :thumbs:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

wh79d160

Tyson, I just thought of another way you could tell if it's a series II,IM016017.jpg, I like mine, steers good, like the manual trans & elect. lift. Sounds cool to. No oil filter on mine. Never drove a 520, but I would imagine it woud be an "entry level" 520 :thumbs:

kick

I bought my 86 417 with a thousand hours on the meter, well maintained though. I cut the grass and tow the dump cart with it. Purchased a stage 1 snow thrower for it but the d160 is easier to grab since I keep it outside under a cover. Anyhow I love the 417 as you will too. Plenty of power with the twin and the electric lift is nice too.

zieg72

I like mine, it is for sale though. I like my 520 better...