Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

5 gears in reverse....1in forward??!! snowblower

Kelly

I think you found your problem, if that diagram is of the unit your working on, that shows two shafts like I said the cam stub turns CW the crank turns CCW.

The arrows you put in the diagram are wrong, that shows the crank turning CW it should show it turning CCW, and the drive pulley off the cam is the drive for the wheels and turns CW.

I bet the engine has been swaped with one that did not have the stub shaft many snowblowers use that set up.

hoppy

one shaft. there is an idler pullkey for the auger belt but for the wheel drive belt it just drops straight down and around the pressure plate. im not sure what year this machine is. its not a new style red one. its older black with green/white decals.

the manuals i have come across online talk about an idler wheel for the wheel belt also. this machine does not have one.

dodge78

I think you found your problem, if that diagram is of the unit your working on, that shows two shafts like I said the cam stub turns CW the crank turns CCW.

The arrows you put in the diagram are wrong, that shows the crank turning CW it should show it turning CCW, and the drive pulley off the cam is the drive for the wheels and turns CW.

That diagram is from the MTD site with the info provided. I also added above the picture "#4 in this picture is the auger pulley but will work for demonstration purposes." So it may have caused some confusion.

I also think the engine has been changed. Do you have a model and serial number off of the engine?

hoppy

i dont have the engine info in front of me. but i just confirmed it only has the one pulley and both belts are hooked to it. this is getting wierder. i suspect this is not the original motor although it looks close all the manuals i can find for this blower show that other shaft and the belt going to that.

mrc

hi hoppy, just checked my snowblower as this topic has my interest. friction wheel (wheel with the rubber attached to it) must be to the right of center of the drive wheel for forward operation. (drive wheel is the silver looking wheel). i ran my machine with the wheels off the ground and looked underneath. in forward gear the drive wheel is spinning CW. hope this helps and i will be watching for the outcome. mike in mass.

hoppy

well fokes looks like i can wrap this one up. Im certain at some point in this machines life someone swapped the original two shaft/pulley motor out with this single shaft. THANKS KELLEY! since this is the case there isnt much i can do to rememdey the problem although i did put some thought into flipping the shafts around to reverse everything. however at this point i have to much time trying to figure out a machine i simply can not fix due to the motor situation.

i want to thank everyone that helped get to this point. I think Kelley gets the gold star for pointing out the missing shaft/pulley and thus figuring out this is probably not the original motor to the machine. Heres to you guys :thumbs:

Kelly

Well it probably would not last long but try twisting the belt in a figure 8 to see if it drives correctly? but after twisting it it will probably be to short.

hoppy

i think your right on the shortness of the belt after twisting it although with a longer belt that may just be a remedy

hoppy

wish i had looked at all the numbers on the machine when he dropped it. could have loaded it right back in the truck. motor #'s confirm it is a 8HP. machine should have a 5hp. lesson learned. never assume everything is original.

HorseFixer

Well havent been on in a few days, and see you found yer problem. :thumbs: I feel for ya. Now there is only one thing to do, <_< Give it a good fixin! :thumbs:

sluggo2.jpg

hoppy

he can choose to fix it with a new motor if he pleases. although since it does have the 8hp in it it moves just fine in the one and only forward gear. if i was hime id just run it i suppose. he said its been like this since he has had it and that has been some years now. wonder why he now just decided to have it looked at?

one thing i also noticed before i read the engine numbers............the motor mount bolts were not the same. 2 were differant then the others and non of them had any washers or anything on them but there were marks like maybe there should have been. :thumbs: