Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

5 gears in reverse....1in forward??!! snowblower

mr.pipes

I,m not sure I follow you. My last post has two pics, each from a different machine. If you just labled the gears 5th to reverse starting on the left, would it operate properly according to the new labels. I think that is all that is necessary.

hoppy

no stickers arent going to fix this machine.

i only have one forward gear and five in reverse. if i put this machine in reverse 2(like on your machine) im actually going forward. antyhing beyond that to the left and machine goes backwards.

mr.pipes

OK, now I feel a little dumb. I'm a little A.D.D. sometimes. The stickers messed me up along with running to the garage taking pics. In your pics the wheel is in 3rd and it goes slower to the left, correct.

I know I have seen somewhere something about an adjustment where the lever goes into the tractor part. Does your manual have that info in it? That could be rotated to swap the wheel and lever positions.

hoppy

yes it should be in third FORWARD but the machine goes BACKWARDS.

like i said i have ONE forward gear and FIVE reverse gears. It should be the other way around.

dodge78

Sounds like the shift lever is bent or attached wrong. Can you take pictures of the drive in each pisition? Like when the lever is all the way to the left, the wheel is not all the way to the right. Sounds like it is starting in the middle.

hoppy

i just went back out. i made sure that mine was setup just as his is shown in the pictures. when my lever is on the far left( what you are telling me is 5th) and yes the wheel is on the far right the machine goes backwards slowly. as i bring the lever back the the right it continues to go backwards just faster as i get through the gears. when i finally make it to the last slot on the right that should be reverse tha machine goes forward. nothing is bent. it looks just like his does in the picture.

something is making this thing have 5 reverse gears. what "shifts" from forard to reverse? the wheel just makes it go faster. what makes it "shift"?

hoppy

with the lever all the way to the right the wheel is all the way to the left and then the machine will go forward. this is wierd!

mr.pipes

what "shifts" from forard to reverse? the wheel just makes it go faster. what makes it "shift"?

The position of the rubber wheel on the silver wheel is what determines the speed or direction. Outside is fast, inside slow. One side forward, other reverse.

hoppy

im totally stumped :thumbs:

mr.pipes

Which way does the impeller spin?

dodge78

The shifting happens when the driven wheel is moved from one side of the drive wheel to the other. If the drive wheel is going clockwise, the driven wheel ( the part touching the drive wheel) when on the right side, will go down. When it is moved to the left side, it will go up.

I am going to try to find a good picture of what I am talking about.

dodge78

Maybe we should start with which engine is on this and direction does it rotate?

HorseFixer

I think you both should post pictures of the Motor shaft end of the machines and Pully Roughting. Thats where the rubber is going to meet the road here Thats about the only thing it can be. Or one other thing prop the rear end up look underneath while a frien engages while lever is at left position 5 which way is the steel plate turning? CW or CCW? Hoppy You will find yers is prolly opposite of pipes

which means belt is roughted wrong. Thats my guess. :thumbs: By the end of this thread you both will prolly hit 1000 posts the way this is going! :thumbs: :thumbs:

mr.pipes

I think you both should post pictures of the Motor shaft end of the machines and Pully Roughting. Thats where the rubber is going to meet the road here Thats about the only thing it can be. Or one other thing prop the rear end up look underneath while a frien engages while lever is at left position 5 which way is the steel plate turning? CW or CCW? Hoppy You will find yers is prolly opposite of pipes

which means belt is roughted wrong. Thats my guess. :thumbs: By the end of this thread you both will prolly hit 1000 posts the way this is going! :thumbs::thumbs:

It's tough not seeing it in action. It apears as of now his drive plate spins opposite of mine. I can't run mine and the garage is packed but I think mine goes clockwise. The belt just goes outside the pulley, I don't know how that could be done wrong. Without seeing it in action and ruling things out I'm not 100% sure. It is something stupid that is backwards I wish I could see to help.

I don't care how many posts I have really. Just here to learn and help if I can.

hoppy

i will check the belts but im with mr.pipes on this one with the belts. the basically drop straight down. would be hard to mess those up. im done in the shop for the night although i wont sleep thinking about this. ill take more pictures tomorrow.

i appreciate all the help felllas and we will get this girl fixed soon. give it another go after work tomorrow.

hoppy

i am pretty sure the plate is spinning clockwise. when i look at the pulley on the motor sgaft that is spinning clockwise. so belt is spinning clockwise thus the plate is spinning clockwise.

hoppy

Round #2 is about to begin...........

hoppy

this is really starting to bug me. im starting to see double. my machine is setup just like mr.pipes however........he is telling me that when the lever is to the far left that should be #5 gear forward. How could that be??!! :thumbs:

my motor is turning CW and so isnt the pressure plate. with the rubber wheel on the far right as shown in both pictures it turns CCW thus turning the shaft CCW and then turning the big drive gear CW...........CW at that big gear makes the machine go backwards! When i get the rubber wheel to the far left then it turns CW thus turning the big gear CCW and then the machine goes forward. this is one of those things that is probably so easy but yet i cant even comprehend what the issue is. its setup correct according to the diagram i have with my pictures above.

my one forward gear is when the rubber wheel is to the far left on the pressure plate and my gear shifter is to the far right. :thumbs:

hoppy

when i said the motor is running CW.......thats when im standing at the handle bars. if i was lokking at the pulley from the pulley side it would be spinning CCW.

im so confused...........................CW, CCW, CW, CCW. :thumbs:

HorseFixer

By the end of this thread you both will prolly hit 1000 posts the way this is going! :drool::thumbs:

I don't care how many posts I have really. Just here to learn and help if I can.

dodge78

Working from the wheels in, this is how it should work.

frictiondrivea.jpg

#4 in this picture is the auger pulley but will work for demonstration purposes.

frictiondrive2b.jpg

Here is reverse.

frictiondriverev.jpg

So your engine pully should be running CW looking at it. By looking at the pull rope in your picture, the engine appears to be a CCW engine (looking at the pulley).

Thats my guess.

hoppy

my engine is running backwards? #4 on my machine is running CW. opposite to what yours is! WTF??!!! guys i have been looking at this thing from every angle. everything is setup just like the pictures. problem is the plate/engine is running everything in the opposite direction. Im at a loss. the pictures speak 1000 words and i can assure you when i pull this motor over its turning that #4 clockwise and #3 counter clockwise. hense the 5 reverse gears. that work very well i must add!! LOL

so they made engines for differant rotations from the factory? if so my guess would be this may not be the original tech motor then and whoever swapped it out left it on there after installing it. nice suprise huh?!!!? i guess if this is the case then i spent the last two evenings trying to fix something i cant fix!! LOL

Kelly

In that diagram the pulley your refering to is a stub shaft off the cam and yes that turns CW the crank turns CCW like ALL the small engines we use.

are the belts on the wrong pulleys on the engine??? The auger pulley runs off the cam CW the drive off the crank CCW make sure the belts are in the right place.

hoppy

there are three "slots" on the pulley on the motor. the belt for the drive plate for the wheels basically drops straight down from slot #1 on motor pully(slot closest to engine). the belt for the auger drive is on the outer slot(away from motor) so the 3rd slot. there appears to be a empty middle slot. the auger drive belt pretty much drops straight down also and engages with another pulley when you engage the handle. think its a belt routing issue? if i was to move the wheel drive plate belt to the middle slot it would look abit to angled to me.

dodge78

So there is only one pulley on the motor? How many shafts?