Sign in to follow this  
waynen

702 With Tranny Problem

waynen

Blowing snow this moring with my 702 and noticed jerky transmission. Selector goes into each gear space fine, but wheels have locked up. A couple years ago I took it to a local shop because I thought I could hear noise in the transmission, sort of like a whining or very light grinding sound but not horrible. The guy checked it out and said it was a little low on fluid but nothing else seemed amiss to him. The drive belt was worn badly so we replaced it and continued on for 2 years with an occassional whine/light grind sound. Couple days ago after finishing blowing I put in 3rd gear to head back and the whine was much more pronounced, so I dropped down to second which seemed fine. This morning noticed the sound in second gear and then a bit of a crunch and things locked. I pushed in the clutch and tried reverse and it worked fine, went back to first gear and worked okay, second was no go and then reverse stopped. Previously, I did notice a "gear-like" sound when pushing the tractor while it was in neutral - kind of like a clicking noise. Now when in neutral, it will roll forward and backward a short distance and then lock. Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated !

racinfool40

I hate to say it but it sounds like it's time to split the tranny..By what your saying doesn't sound good..and there is no quick fix!!! Check out the some of the tranny rebuilds in Wheel Horse tractors in best all time posts theres a few great rebuild threads.. :thumbs: Or look for another tranny or post in the wanted section and I'm sure some one will help you out!!

buckrancher

sounds like a differential bolt broke or one of the nuts came off

Brian

waynen

Thanks Brian - how would I go about checking the differential bolts & nut?

Indy w h

Take the trans out and drain the fluid then split it open

Indy

buckrancher

Take the trans out and drain the fluid then split it open

Indy

sorry but thats your only recourse

Brian

stevasaurus

weynen... :thumbs: That thread is the same trans as yours...#5025. Take some pictures and let us know what you find. Any help you need...just ask. :thumbs:

VinsRJ

:thumbs:

Sorry for your issue, like the others have said, split the cases and file back with what you found. And pics are also a big help, Good Luck :thumbs:

waynen

Thanks to all, looks like I'll be diving into the transmission this week. I take some pictures and report back what I find.

waynen

In the past threads covering tranny rebuilds, there is reference to a transmission manual (59 page pdf) - can someone kindly send me the link to it, or point me in the right direction, I'm gonna need all the help and reference materials I can get my hands on - thanks!

Kai Thomsen

Edit:

Link to pdf file didn't work.

waynen

Thanks to all who sent links to the transmission manual - rolling up my sleeves!

waynen

I finally got around to opening the transmission and would like to post some pictures but I am not sure how to post them. Could some one kindly tell me how it's done. I think I will need a new right side if the transmission case as it appears that one of the bearings started turning and wore an irregularly in the case. I could be wrong but if I can post the pictures you will see what I mean.

AMC RULES

RU uploading them from your home computer? 

waynen

Yes, they are on my iPad

stevasaurus

I upload them into Photobucket and then copy the link into the post...use the "IMG" code...copy and paste. :)  Someone going to Scott's M&G this weekend may have the parts you might need.  Send a PM to racinfool40 (Mike).  Both Mike and I will be there, if you want to bring the transmission.

AMC RULES

As a supporter, I know you can upload them straight from your computer into your posts.

Click on the "more reply options" button at the bottom of the this reply window...

then use the "choose file" button at the bottom of the next reply window...

then choose the picts you want to incluce in your post from the pict file on your computer. 

No need for those extra photobucket steps...that make the process painful on a good day.  :) 

Cheap supporter pkgs can be found in the  :rs: store, found in the header at the top of this page. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

Coadster32

Welcome to RS. Sorry about the tranny, but glad to hear you've got your sleeves rolled up. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I use Photo-bucket like Steve, but will try Craig's way going forward. (Thanks for that tip Craig :thanks: )

Being old-school from the old site...habits just stick. :hide:

stevasaurus

How about Chrisasaurous there buckaroo???  Old habits are very hard to break. :)

Weynen...I happen to have a rebuilt 5025 in the garage...I will send you a PM.

Coadster32

How about Chrisasaurous there buckaroo???  Old habits are very hard to break. :)

Weynen...I happen to have a rebuilt 5025 in the garage...I will send you a PM.

That's some funny stuff. :hilarious:

Keep blabbing Steveasaurus....5 more till 5000. :ychain:

• Like 1

waynen

Thanks everyone for your reply and picture posting suggestions. I've attached a pic of the right side of the transmission case and you can see the rather oblong or irregular wearing to the left of where the axle would be. Although I did restore this tractor a few years ago I did not get into the trans as there was no reason to and I wonder what caused this wear? The seal is actually beginning to push out of the other side of the case. How do you fix something like this or do you you replace the side of the case or the entire trans?

post-4195-0-49566400-1380704962_thumb.jp

Edited by waynen

Coadster32

It is possible to have a machine shop bore out the hole a bit bigger, and put in a bigger OD bearing with the same ID size. They would need to know exactly where it's supposed to be though. Perhaps a donor transmission might be in your future.

Jeff-C175

Shop could also probably braze up the missing material and rebore so you can use the same size bearing.