Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Tilling and Plowing

IthacaJeff

WH'ers:

Sorry about the simple questions here, but I'm going into uncharted territory.

While I thought all I would need to do is till, I've decided to relocate my garden

to a spot that probably has not been worked for 8-10 yrs. So, I'll hit it with the

single bottom plow first, then the tiller. Here are the questions:

How many passes of the tiller will I need to smooth out the plowing? The reason

I ask is because I assume the last direction I rototill will be the direction I want

my rows to be in. . . so if I till once then I assume I will plow in the direction of

the rows, and then till in the same direction. But, if I till twice, then the direction

of the plow will be perpendicular to the direction of the rows. . .plow perpendicular,

rototill perpendicular, then rototill again but this time with the rows.

Does this make sense? Any help for the obvious neophyte would be much

appreciated!

Jeff in Enfield NY

6wheeler

I assume you are going to till to break up the clods and grass and such that you will roll over plowing. If the ground is mellow enough and not too wet, I think tilling once is enough. I would drive slow to let the tiller break up and mix in the sod pieces. You really don't want to overwork it. If you get your plow in to about 5 or 6 inches, your tiller will go in about 4 inches. Remember, you seeds only go in a maximum of an inch. Some only go in 1/4" so if you have a good 4 inch worked depth, that is all you need. You may want to till the headlands (ends) twice, once with the rows, once across. Just to knock down the piles your tiller will probably leave.

jtmoyer

i till now ground twice. once to break it up and then wait a week to let the grass grow back out that did not get tilled under the first time then till again and you should be ready to plant.