Sign in to follow this  
kodiak

k 301

kodiak

i checked the governor and i believe it is getting weak (if thats possible) i had to rotate it on the shaft so when i rev the engine it limits it. i noticed once i got it running the firdt time it would rev extremely high so i adjusted the governor and it seemed to help. the problem now is it seems to be searching at high rpm. so the question now is can the counter wheights inside the engine be going bad?

iicap

kodiak, two comments, on FP when you do it and you find no debris. take something blunt and press on the valve discs and each spring should push the disc back to closed firmly. Most likely the spring on the inlet valve will be weak and not close it all the way. If you find that, come back about it and we'll talk about away to get more life out of the valve. Don't stretch the diaphram spring until you know there is low pressure, you could make the pressure to high.

On the governor, you need to get the manual for your engine, someone here should be able to give you the link, and do the complete governor setting prcedure by the book and you can also alter the sensativity of the govenor. Don't worry about going inside the engine for the problem until every adjustment is to spec and all externals have been looked at. You don't want to be running wide open RPM passed the specs for fear of blowing the engine.

The manual will give you the base setting for the carb and tell you how to fine tune it, surging at wide open throttle may just be the high speed jet needing to be closed or opened a bit or then again you could still be starving for fuel.

kodiak

i took apart the fuel pump and seen it was dirty inside so i clean it out and put it back together. then i blew and sucked on the inlet and outlet of the pump and it seemed to be opening and seling much better i also manualy operated the pump and you could here the air (pumping ) through the valve.

after i turned the governor on the shaft and readjusted the high rpm mixture screw it seems to be running much better but i dont know the exact rpm at high rpm due to not having a tach but by ear it sounds to be closeto my other engines

iicap

Everything is sounding better, good for you.