Sign in to follow this  
Tee

Timing

Tee

some day my k181 will run. i promise. my problem today is. on timing, there is a S and a T on the flywheel. correct me if i`m wrong please. the points should open on the S correct? but the S and T aint no where to be seen in the view port when the points open. what i have i done worng now. :thumbs: :thumbs:

tommy3horse

Hello Tee;

Have you rebuilt it?

Tom

:thumbs:

rmaynard

First, set the points to an initial gap of .020. If you did a rebuild, and if you have the crankshaft and camshaft lined up properly, the S mark should line up with the mark on the bearing plate just as the points begin to open. Once the points are completely open, the S mark has already passed.

The best way to determine the correct point at which the points break is with a multimeter.

Tee

First, set the points to an initial gap of .020. If you did a rebuild, and if you have the crankshaft and camshaft lined up properly, the S mark should line up with the mark on the bearing plate just as the points begin to open. Once the points are completely open, the S mark has already passed.

The best way to determine the correct point at which the points break is with a multimeter.

yes i rebuilt it and double and triple checked everything. xcept. the machine shop put the cam in looks like a no brainer to me. does the crank and timing gear go dot to dot? i got that part right, still thinkin somethin is whacked in cam. the S does not line up with open points, heck i cant even see it. thanks

can whlvr

i just finished a k241 (10hp)and mine had a dot on the cam and a slot on the crank,the slot is formed right in the ckank,if yours had a dot then it should be dot to dot,as long as u didnt use the secondary cam mark

Tee

i just finished a k241 (10hp)and mine had a dot on the cam and a slot on the crank,the slot is formed right in the ckank,if yours had a dot then it should be dot to dot,as long as u didnt use the secondary cam mark

Secondary cam mark? thought there was just one or least that what is saw. thanks

rmaynard

On the K241 crankshaft there are two marks. The one closest to the gear is the one that gets aligned with the cam gear dot. The other is for balancing gear timing if you have them.

MikesRJ

This tutorial by T-Mo may help you. You also may want to remove the flywheel again, and paint the letters and lines with white paint do that you can see them through the viewing port when reassembled.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...ngineTiming.pdf

Tee

This tutorial by T-Mo may help you. You also may want to remove the flywheel again, and paint the letters and lines with white paint do that you can see them through the viewing port when reassembled.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...ngineTiming.pdf

I painted the S and T, did the static timing test. problem is, there is no S and T showing in the viewing hole, when points are open. The points open some other time. goofy as it sounds. thanks

Kelly

sounds like the cam and crank are not timed correctly, pull the pan off and check the timing marks.

Tee

sounds like the cam and crank are not timed correctly, pull the pan off and check the timing marks.

ok i pulled the engine apart. 3rd times a charm, now, when i put the cam shaft dot to line up up with the crank dot. the cam lobe is down points closed, when i flip it 180 the cam lobe is up and the dot is now about the 2 o clock position. only 2 ways a i can set this. thanks

mattd860

Like rmaynard said - The points only BEGIN to open when the 'S' mark is viewable in the window. The S timing mark has come and gone long before the points are fully open.

When you get the motor back together, align the timing mark with the S and continue to turn the motor in the direction of normal operation. After the S mark has passed the timing mark, then the points should slowly open. When the points have opened all the way, then you begin to set the point gap. Like I said, when the points have opened all the way, the S timing mark will be long gone.

dgjks6

man I feel your pain.

Put them dot to dot. and put the pan back on.

I just did this and had a hard time but figured it out and I can try to walk you through it step by step. Have you found the "s" on the flywheel?

Tee

Like rmaynard said - The points only BEGIN to open when the 'S' mark is viewable in the window. The S timing mark has come and gone long before the points are fully open.

When you get the motor back together, align the timing mark with the S and continue to turn the motor in the direction of normal operation. After the S mark has passed the timing mark, then the points should slowly open. When the points have opened all the way, then you begin to set the point gap. Like I said, when the points have opened all the way, the S timing mark will be long gone.

yes i found the S in big white now. i was under impression the S was where the points were set. my bad, now its gettin clear. thanks

Tee

man I feel your pain.

Put them dot to dot. and put the pan back on.

I just did this and had a hard time but figured it out and I can try to walk you through it step by step. Have you found the "s" on the flywheel?

ok, if i put it dot to dot. at the cam and crank. the lobe of the cam is now down. is this what i want? i may need to do a better visual of the crank. there is a mark on the counter weight, is that where the mark is our is it close to the pto journal>? thanks fellers i really appreciate your time. :thumbs:

Tee

I aint never been happier than when my grankids were born. i found the timin mark on the crank. (i was lookin at a lil casting flaw all along hahahaha) its right down on the shaft on the counter balance where the machining stop. ii dot to dot the timing . now i`m gettin somewhere. thanks fellers for all the help. :thumbs: