Sign in to follow this  
davidmaxwell's RJ-59

Wheel Horse work horse 700 trans problem

davidmaxwell's RJ-59

My friend has a workhorse 700 and the rear is locked up. Any advice?

Thanks! -David

KB9LOR

My friend has a workhorse 700 and the rear is locked up. Any advice?

Thanks! -David

I don't know where you are, but could it be frozen from cold weather?

davidmaxwell's RJ-59

No he said he was driving it and it just grinded to a halt.

KB9LOR

No he said he was driving it and it just grinded to a halt.

Is the drive belt intact? If it is, it sounds like he may have to rebuild the tranny.

Kelly

Was he trying to shift while moving?? does the shifter move in and out of the gears?? a little more info will help.

davidmaxwell's RJ-59

The shifter will shift into gears easily but while it is in gear the drive pulley won't move and the belt just slips but the pulley moves freely while out of gear

stevasaurus

I would guess that a tear down is in order just for this one reason...if the infamous ball bearing #1535 broke down (as what happened to me) then you have 1/4" steel balls floating around in the trans. If one got locked up in one of the gears teeth, it would lock up the transmission. You do not want to break any teeth off the gears...many dollars. Splitting the trans and seeing what is wrong is all labor and is fairly easy to do. We can walk you through it if you need any help. In this picture, you can see the bearings stuck on the large gear. It could be a couple of other things, but it sure sounds like something is broke off and is jamming the gears. :thumbs:

702transmission002-1.jpg

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=19680

davidmaxwell's RJ-59

Thanks Charliesd250 and i had rebuilt my rj's transmission but i have never tore into a uni-drive trans. I will split the casing and take a look and post what i find.

oldandred

Thanks Charliesd250 and i had rebuilt my rj's transmission but i have never tore into a uni-drive trans. I will split the casing and take a look and post what i find.

Before spliting the case make sure the key in the out put shaft isnt sheared splitting a tranny for a .50 piece of metal

MikesRJ

Before spliting the case make sure the key in the out put shaft isnt sheared splitting a tranny for a .50 piece of metal

And if you do have to split the trans, here's the manual:

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...1958_-_1982.pdf