Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

Getting a new truck.

sgtsampay

Hi all. I currently have a Dodge Dakota 4x4 V6 2005 with 54k on it. Its a quad cab with the short bed on it. Also, I pay about $340 a month on it and it drivng me nuts cause of the gas prices, I get about 11mpg in the winter and 5mpg in the summer.

Anyway, I'm thinking about down sizing to a little Ford range 2wd 5spd I4. Now my issue is with the proper balast and good snow tires, will the 2wd be ok in the snow? I think I have used the 4wd function on my truck about 5 times this year, so it not something i use alot. Also, if I can get my truck payment to under $200ish i would be super happy.

Also, I have been reading that the little rangers can get up to 30mpg on the highway. So, I think that will be great compared to my large truck.

So, can some of you guys give me your opoins about 2wd Rangers in the winter? Thanks.

Also, do you guys think my idea is a sound one? I'm just tring to get my monthly bills down and I thought that since i don't need that much truck then why do i have it..

taycotrains

My son has a 98 Ranger and we put a 633 in the back for ballast and the truck has a cap...and it still sucks in the snow.

If your used to 4wd a 2wd is going to be a significant downgrade...especially in Maine .

BT

Sparky

Your MPG's seem awful low :thumbs: . My 04 Dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab with a HEMI gets 11-12 MPG all the time, winter or summer. Its hard to believe a V6 would only get 5MPG in the summer. Maybe you should invest in having the truck hooked to a engine-analyzer to see if somethings not right before you move onto something else.

I dont think a weighted 2wd Ranger will be very good in the snow either. Plus any advantage the weight gives you in traction will just adversely affect the Rangers MPG.

Mike...........

MRM

Had a 2000 2WD ranger had to add 400 lbs in the bed and studed snow tires or it would not move in the snow.

Operator

Maine - 2 wd I wouldn't. Ranger at 30 mpg I wouldn't beleive that one, maybe 20 22 range. My Bronco II with the 2.9 gets 20 hauling my tools. I had a 96 Ranger 4.0 4X4 it got 16. At that rate I went to a half ton.

baerpath

Wow thought smaller was supposed to mean better fuel mileage.

My F250 4x4 averaged 22mpg going to Tx and back any Ranger I've seen doesn't get anywhere near 30mph

Duane

my 87 GMC 2x4 crewcab with the 454 gets 10mpg

dgoyette

Wow 11 mpg is very low. The Dakota's are bad on gas but that is really bad. I average 15 winter and 18 summer in my 2001 Dakota 4X4. I have the 4.7 V8 with a 5 speed manual shift in mine. I wonder why yours is so bad.

If you go with the Ranger and load it up with enough weight to make a difference your MPG's will go down. I also think low to mid 20 mpg is more realistic for the I4 Ranger.

Sounds like you would nearly cut both your loan payment and gas bills in half. Insurance will likely be lower too.

I wouldn't trade mine for a 2wd Ranger...but then mine has been paid off for 2+ years...gonna run it as long as I can!

sgtsampay

Yeah, the meant 15mpg in the summer. LOL. Sry guys.

Yeah, I would be cutting my monthy truck expenses in half which will save me a lot every month. Expecally for someone who isn't the richest person in the world. hmm.

I would love to keep 4x4 but I really would something better on gas that 11mpg and 15mpg. I also don't drive hard or anything.

Does anyone know if the Toyota Tocoma I4 4x4 get good on gas? I also think going to a stick will help some since i have been driving an auto.. I know how to drive a stick as my dad's car is a 6spd.

stevebo

Hate to say it but find yourself a nice Toyota or Nissan 4x4 with 4 or 6 cylinder engine. I had a Dodge as a company truck and it was a pig on gas. I am in the same boat with my 03 Tahoe.. I ended up keeping the Tahoe and bought a $1,500 Nissan 2 door 4 cly. car as a commuter. I now get 25+ mpg... I figure the break even in the deal will be about 1 year then I start to save money...

sgtsampay

I just saw that some of the older reg cab rangers were 4x4 but with a 2.3l I4. So I can still have 4x4 but decent on gas engine. Also, they were all 5spd. :thumbs: Is this a better choice?

Steave, yeah, I forgot about those little trucks. Going look now. :thumbs:

hm12460

Sgtsampay, i have a 2007 2wd 2.3 liter Ranger with an automatic and i like it. You can no longer get a 4wd with the 4 cylinder engine. I went to Indiana and back last Saturday with my 312-8 in the back and at 70-75 mph got 22.5 mpg. You can expect to pick up another 2-3 mpg with a manual 5 speed. My Ranger does very well in snow. I put Firestone winter force snow tires on the back and it does quite well in the snow. Not like a 4x4, but similar to a front wheel drive car or maybe a little better. Ranger's are a good truck with an excellent reputation and it will serve you well. The 2002 up 2.3's with the DOHC have considerably more power than the older 2.3 SOHC lima engines. I traded my 2004 F-150 in on this thing and have been quite happy with it. Obviously, you won't haul as much as a full size truck and if you're ok with that, you should be fine. The Dodge Dakota's are gas hog's and i think gas, along with energy in general is going to go way up in the very near future. I would do it. You can check gas mileage number's on any vehicle at www.fueleconomy.gov, they are pretty close nowadays.

sgtsampay

Wow, thansk for the tidbit hm. I was hoping someone with a 2wd in the winter would chime in.

Dockfishin

I've owned a ranger 2wd and you couldn't give me 10 of them for my 4wheel drive f150 I have now. Especially if I lived in Maine, I'd bet money you kick yourself next winter if you downgrade.

T-Mo

I, like Darren, have a 2001 Dakota 4WD Quad cab with the 4.7. I averaged around 17 in it. Since I'm in Missouri, I don't use the 4 wheel drive much, but when I have it's been a blessing on the winding, hilly, narrow back roads here in Missouri.

6wheeler

Bobby, you will really miss the 4WD. I have two guys I work with, 1 has a 96 ranger 2WD that he uses in the summer and a 04 GMC 1/2t 4x4 he uses in winter. The other fella has a 04 Dakota 4x4 he drives year around and it gets terrible mileage but he is a farmer and doesn't want to drive his 1t Dodge to work in the cities. Its funny, he complains about the mileage with the Dakota but says he will not drive anything but a Dodge and will not drive a car. The Ranger gets decent mileage but it is useless in the snow. He puts about 1000# of sand in the back and he then can get around fairly well. I think if you are gonna change, get a 4x4 with a stick. If you can find an older one(Ranger) that you can put actual lockout hubs on. You could even do better, that way you would have true 2WD when you don't want 4 wheel. I don't know how vehicles hold up out there but you may find a decent one. And, they would probably be cheap enough that you could buy it outright and not have any payments. I have a 94 F250 4x4 with a 7.5l (460) and an auto. It gets about 12mpg year around, It will pull anything and pass anything with a load behind, but me and OPEC are as tight as family when I use it. So, I drive an 87 Toronado to work, it gets around 30mpg and its long paid for itself. I wouldn't get rid of my truck though, it is always ready to go when I need it. Good Luck on your hunt. Pat

sgtsampay

Hmm. Right now I'm torn between the 2wd and the 4wd. I say this because not only here but my freind/family say the same thing. Some say that 2wd will be fine with good tires, a little eight, a stick, and learnign to drive carefully. Then other say that 4 wd is great to have when needed and I will miss it.

Ugg, I don;t know which way to go. Personally, my gut is saying try the 2wd way as I fine myself with no weight in the back using 2wd on my truck anyway. Also, I have only used 4wd about 5 times this whole year and i could have done with 2wd if i needed to. Also, winter is only about 3-4months for snow, and i live in the middle of town and only do in town commuting, so most of the time the roads are bare anyway. Also, getting mid to high 20s or more with 2wd sounds really good to me right now. Also, they are cheaper to get then 4wd. :thumbs:

Anyway, no matter what, I will look for a used truck and hopefully just pay for it out right and then I will not have a truck payment. Also, the repairs for the truck will hopefully be average wear items and for the most part, I can do it myself. And if I can;t, I know where i can ask for help.

So, my point is, I really don;t know which way to go now but I also don;t want to tick anyone off also. This is my first large item purchase that I will be doing on my own and I will just want to do it right.... This growing up thing is for the birds!

I didn;t expect to get all mushy on your guys but you all are starting to turn into some good friends. :thumbs: Thanks. :thumbs:

Ken B

My brother drives a Dakota 4x4 with the 3.7 litre in it as a company truck for Northeast Utilities. He tells me its ball less and is an absolute ***** on gas. He drives a 4x4 Suburban and says it is MUCH better on gas than the Dakota is.

You will regret going from 4x4 to a 2 wheel drive. If you need to ad a bunch of weight, it still will suck in the snow and all that added weight will eat up any fuel savings. A guy I work with bought a new Dakota 2 wd a few yrs. ago with a posi rear. Sucks in the snow even with weight. Oh, its a pig on fuel as well.

dkopp

My full-size extended cab Chevy Z71 work truck with the 5.3 gets between 15 and 20 MPG.

mavfreak

My 96 F150 4X4 with the 4.9L 6 5 speed gets 13 around town with any load. Never took on a trip yet.

My step dad had a 94 2wd ranger with the 4 banger and 5 speed and had no problems with it in the winter as long has it was weighted and snow tires all the way around. But it was so under prowered that it couldn't spin the tires even with dumping the clucth. He drove 80 miles to work one way and it was all hyway. Got great milage and when he traded it in it was around 350000 miles

Kelly

I drive gas hog suburbans and have for about 16 years now, my last one is my first 4x4 I got by for years with 2 wheel drive, but these tanks weigh 5000+lbs the 01 yukonXL I drive now gets 12 MPG in the winter and 15 MPG in warm weather, but I might have to buy a motor cycle this year to save on gas, I could not do with out my burban, I haul way to much stuff.

I hate to say it like has been said, but a Toyota is a dam good truck, even with 4X4 they get good MPG's and most are built in the USA, even most US trucks have many many parts built outside of the US.

KC9KAS

dkopp, you are darn lucky.

I have the same....Z71 EXT cab, 4 x 4 (2003) drive 55 mph to and from work 20 miles each way, and get 14-15 mpg. This is actual MPG's, not what the onboard computer says.

jdog_kustoms

id stay 4x4 my 01 dodge ram with a diesel weights 7000 lbs empty and i get 13 mpg with it needing the front sterring fixed from hiting a deer and pulling my 2500 lbs trailer in the city i should get around 16-18 with the front fixed and no trailer

Horse'n Around

I have a 1994 Mazda B3000 that my Dad left to me (Ranger with a 3.0 V6).I love it and its a great little truck but I have to agree that it is not good at all in low traction situations. As far as driving in show and ice, my experience is limited to a couple of 6" snowfalls when I lived in Chambersburg and the roads had been well taken care of, I had about 300lbs in the bed but due to the road crews I honestly didn't need it. But knowing how it is in the sand in AZ (it would get stuck in a cats litter box) I know if I was on any amount of snow or ice it would be a handfull. After just moving here to this part of PA, Ive been holding my breath to see what mother nature has in store to see how my truck will do :thumbs: It might be a good idea for me to get some chains for it . Out here,if I still had a 4x4 I would think about ether keeping it or getting another.

John

dkopp

dkopp, you are darn lucky.

I have the same....Z71 EXT cab, 4 x 4 (2003) drive 55 mph to and from work 20 miles each way, and get 14-15 mpg. This is actual MPG's, not what the onboard computer says.

I do a lot of driving in the bootheel region where it is flat and mostly straight roads. I can get 20 easily if I keep my foot out of it.

sgtsampay

Well after much tring, I can't get a new truck or different truck until I get this current loan paid for, as it really under my parents name. I thought they wouldn;t care realyl they do.. So, what i plan to do is just wait till i pay for this loan off and then get a much newer compact truck at that time. I may even go with a new 2012 ford ranger as it will have the new 1.6l ecoboast engine, if they ever come out with it...

Anyway, I will just focuse on making double/tripe payments every mouth and pay this truck off so I can do what I wish with it. thanks for all of the help. I'm only 22 so I still got tons of time for me to0 get my dream truck anyway. :thumbs: