Sign in to follow this  
btrrg1969

Air Horse

btrrg1969

Has anyone seen one of these? How do you steer it? To my understanding it was made to move aircraft.

AirHorse.jpg

mr.pipes

Has anyone seen one of these? How do you steer it? To my understanding it was made to move aircraft.

AirHorse.jpg

I would guess the steering wheel is controlling a hydraulic cylinder at the pivot point. Like an articulating loader or WheelHorse.

Redbirdman

I assume the scissors lift the nose or tail wheel. If it just clamps around the wheel it is difficult to move a taildragger and can really damage a nosewheel aircraft if turned to tight while towing. What is hard to realize is some of these small aircraft run in the millions of dollars and one doofus can do a heck of a lot of damage in a few seconds. But on the other side of the coin, it is far (super far) cheaper to tow a turbine aircraft from hanger to fuel to ramp than starting it and moving it under it's own power. The main reason is some turbines are limited to "number of starts" rather than 'hours' between overhaul. And a 'Hot start' ...(meaning too rich a mixture causing too much heat in the combustion chamber) could cause a 1/4 million dollar teardown.............and a 'hot start' could happen simply by having the tail turned into a stiff wind while starting.....

Anyhow, tugs are an important part of an airport, but they have to be doofus proof today.

I could imagine the face on the insurance inspector doing a ramp audit as a lineboy tows a 10 million dollar Citation out of the hanger while sitting backwards on the hood.............. :thumbs:

With that being said........I would give an "AIRHORSE" a good home in a heartbeat!

ED.... :thumbs: :thumbs:

mr.pipes

I just noticed the seat on the hood. Guess the cantilevered front distracted me from looking up. It doesn't look right as it is. I can't imagine when someone is sitting on the hood pushing an airplane.

btrrg1969

They were still being built with JD tractors so they must work and there must be a market for them.

http://www.tiffinaire.com/airdeer.htm

I saw the JD one aswell but I didnt think its was worthy of this forum :thumbs:

Redbirdman

I saw the JD one aswell but I didnt think its was worthy of this forum

"HI, nice Lear jet, whereja git your tug?" "Ahhhhhh, Home Depot!" :thumbs:

ed :thumbs: :thumbs:

Operator

They were still being built with JD tractors so they must work and there must be a market for them.

http://www.tiffinaire.com/airdeer.htm

I saw the JD one aswell but I didnt think its was worthy of this forum :thumbs:

Good boy! :thumbs:

chesbaycruiser

I think the operator sits on the hood to line up and "catch" the nose gear, then drives facing forward from the "regular" seat. :thumbs:

Our local airport had one for sale recently.

Redbirdman

Heres a couple pictures of a walk-behind model and a stand-on version. One has a clamp that grabs the wheel and closes lifting the wheel, the other skids under the wheel and a bar locks the wheel in place........

I suspect the Air Horse hood seat would be also for manuvering the craft backwards into the hanger or tie-down since it is real difficult to look over your shoulder and watch a 40 foot wide object, 14 feet high sliding into a spot with just inches to spare.

"Dooda phrase; 'hanger rash' ring a bell?" :thumbs::thumbs:

Pegasus050s.jpg

Pegasus051s.jpg

Pegasus052s.jpg

Pegasus047s.jpg

Pegasus048s.jpg

Pegasus049s.jpg

as you can see, a Honda motor and a cheepo Huffy tractor transmission is all it takes to move it, but even a tiny one wheel version for small planes cost over 2 grand new...

SMALL TUGS

BTW...... a cool one to have is electric and radio controlled

RC TUG

So I guess the AIRHORSE was way ahead of it's time....

now I really want one. :thumbs:

ED :thumbs: :drool:

Nick

I saw the JD one aswell but I didnt think its was worthy of this forum

"HI, nice Lear jet, whereja git your tug?" "Ahhhhhh, Home Depot!" :thumbs:

ed :thumbs::thumbs:

Since you mentioned Lear jet this is a GT14 moving a lear jet with a simple tow bar setup.

This picture was once posted by Brrly1 and it is his picture so I hope he doesnt mind that I am posting a link to it. :thumbs:

DSC03121.jpg

cpete1

I grew up on a dairy farm. We'd mow away about 10,000 bales of hay in the mow over the main stable. Pulling wagons in then backing them out after unloading. Some times we would turn the tractor around and use the front bumper hitch to "drive" the wagons out. Far easier like one of the posts suggested. Especially since you're dealing with an articulated vehicle and the size of the plane you might be placing. I can fully appreciate the extra seat on the hood for that. Pretty cool idea at any rate.

:thumbs:

Chris

neil

what a fantastic picture of the gt14 pulling the jet, i dont supose you could email me a copy of that pic PLEASE.

wheel horse 1045

I drove the C120 version and it was a blast

ronwasson

I want one for a small plane. leads needed. anywhere or condition

boatman

:thumbs: Hi all, I have seen several of the air horse units used in

boat yards for moving boats on trailers around also. Pretty handy as

the ones i've seen had atrailer hitch ball on the rear part with a hydraulic

lift. You could back under tonque of trailer and raise it up and take off.

Saved having to crank up the jack. Just set it down when you got where you wanted. :thumbs:

JC 1965

:thumbs: Thats the first one of those I've seen. Thanks for posting it!! :thumbs: