Sign in to follow this  
hoosier

J.D.

hoosier

I have a J.D. 212 I got for 65 dollars. The wiring was burnt up. The P O gave up

on it. I've got it so it runs and it does so smoothly.Mows well. I don't have the right switch though. I thought that (switches) were all the same. Wrong, Anyway, The thing is, it takes three revolutions of the steering wheel, lock to lock to turn. Slowww steering.It makes it a pain to mow with, when you have obstacles. ( Trees)You gotta really keep cranking the thing. My Wheel Horses take mabey a full turn lock to lock. Why would they( JD) do this? I won't like it much for mowing. I may have to find another duty for this unit. :whistle:

TT

My son and I found a good use for them.... Traction testing! :whistle:

jdpull001-1.jpg

linen beige

This makes it a little easier to turn the wheel when the machine is sitting still or moving slowly. If you like the way it mows, try adding a spinner knob to the wheel, My D-160 has to be cranked several turns lock to lock and the spinner makes it a breeze.

CasualObserver

I grew up mowing on a 212 at my parent's place... the spinner makes all the difference in the world. we had about 20 trees in the front yard and I never thought of it as any trouble steering.

T-Mo

I had both a 210 and a 214, which are both the same as the 212 but different size Kohler K's. I never had a problem with steering except for the larger turning radius. Be sure you greased the front axle spindles and the steering gear. Also you can adjust some of the play out of the steering same as you would a car. The others are right a spinner knob helps.

hoosier

Thanks to all. It has a spinner knob on it. Still seems like too much steering effort to me. A point of mine is, I've never felt the need for a (spinner)before on anything.This unit is alot more work going around trees and such, in my opinion. I'm not going to like it much for mowing.Too much steering wheel work. Guess I'm spoiled with Wheel Horse. Even my box store MTD stuff I mow with turns quicker.The only thing I have that ranks on difficult steering is my 444 Ingersoll, Gotta keep the front tires aired up on that one. :whistle: But even 'it' does'nt seem to be as (slow) as the DEERE.Maybe it's only me. Just my observations here. :WRS:

T-Mo

I definitely would check to see if there is grease in the front spindles and the steering gear.