Sign in to follow this  
mavfreak

jd 318 question

mavfreak

My step dad has A JD 318 its a 1980 I believe but not 100% sure.

Anyway he was asking if I could fix it but I'm not sure.

During the summer and full it started acting up

You can mow for about a 20 30 min window and then the mower deck will start to slow down and then stop turning all together. SO you have to stop and let things cool down for 10 mins or so and then start again till the deck stops. I have seen it do this. I could not smell anything like a belt slipping or oil burning. And no sounds like something is slipping.

My guess is the electric PTO is slipping or getting weak.

Has any of you JD owners have had this problem

B-8074

I'm not a JD owner, but even before I read your whole post I was thinking "electric pto". That's where I would start. Sounds like it may be overheating. Is there any grease pionts on the pto? Or maybe an over load or temp saftey switch.

T-Mo

Heath,

The 318 was made from 1983 to 1992. It has been arguably considered the best lawn and garden tractor made. You can find a lot of info on the 318 at Weekend Freedom Machines, which is the web site to be for the older John Deere garden tractors. You can do a search there, or you can register and post a question in the Hydrostatic Drive or the General Repair section that's embedded in the Restoration & Repair forums there. There is also a model info section.

John Deere doesn't give away free downloads of their manuals as they are copyrighted. But I did find a free downloadable service manual for the 318 here: 318 Service Manual. You have to register and they have some restrictions, i.e. 2 downloads or a max limit per day for members with under 10 posts, but it's free.

mavfreak

ok thanks T-mo I'll go there and get some help

You can close this thread now thanks

T-Mo

Heath,

If it's okay with you, I would like to keep this thread open. There are only a couple of companies that make the electric pto clutches, Warner and Ogura (sp). Problems like you posted on these may be a common malfunction on these and someone here may have had a similar problem on their clutch. That person may see this thread and pin point the problem for you. Or another member here may encountered a similar problem, either now or later, and any information this thread provides may be beneficial to that member.

So, if you don't mind, I would like to keep this thread open a little while longer.

mavfreak

That's fine by me T-mo...I was worried more offending someone with a JD post...

BY the way I love this 318 and hope to inherit it someday

mavfreak

Also I don't have this here at my house yet so I can't really go and look at anything to help with diagnosing anything, I was hoping someone may have had this problem. Also I'm not 100% convinced the PTO is the problem or if its as simple as a belt :thumbs:

T-Mo

Heath,

You won't offend me - I was known here for a long time as JD Terry. I like the green and yellow. I have the 318 and the 140H3 on my wish list - I found one on my list, a 445 (though a 455 would have been better). And, besides, this is the off-brand section, so if anyone gets offended, they probably shouldn't have clicked on this anyways.

Maybe you can get the whole number off the id plate and I find what year it

mavfreak

Any help is appreciated and I'm hoping to get it this weekend...I have to get a couple of tractors out of garage before I bring this here. At that time I'll be able to send to you anything you may need

Thanks

Roger from southern Iowa

Heath, I've experienced this very problem with 318's.

I suggest you adjust the air gap on the pto.

It is supposed to have .016 air gap.

There are three adjustment nuts and slots for the feeler guage on the pto clutch.

This is a rather simple adjustment and rather common problem on the 140 through 318.

Hope this helps.

wheelhorse656

Heath, I've experienced this very problem with 318's.

I suggest you adjust the air gap on the pto.

It is supposed to have .016 air gap.

There are three adjustment nuts and slots for the feeler guage on the pto clutch.

This is a rather simple adjustment and rather common problem on the 140 through 318.

Hope this helps.

Tjis happend to my nabors JD 318

mavfreak

awesome! I'll check this first!

6wheeler

Heath, Roger is right you can adjust them. I take mine off and clean them as well. When you split them I usually find alot of dust in them and if the engine leaks alot of oil from the crank seal it can gum them up. But adjustment is key. The bearings can be replaced if you have a press. I've rebuilt a couple as long as the wires are'nt broken or the field burned up, cleaning and adjusting usually works for me. Also, to take them off, pull a spark plug and put a length of rope into the cylinder to lock up the engine when loosening or tightening the bolt. Don't lose the spacer! At $125.00 + that JD charges I at least try to fix them. Pat

mavfreak

I'm at my moms house now and I found one of the books for the tractor It talks about the ajustment on the clutch but not as good as you have just stated. I know we have a repair manual for this but we can't find it.

(when my mom cleans she puts things away never to be found again!)

KB9LOR

Which one you looking for? I even have the paperwork where the guy bought these manuals, very cool!

IMG_9689.jpg

KB9LOR

Here is what it says in the repair specifications section:

PTO Clutch Armature to Rotor Clearance...............0.46mm (0.018 in)

PTO Belt Tension Spring Length-----420

Vertical Adjuster.........................................35mm (1.38 in)

Horizontal Adjuster......................................41mm (1.6 in)

mavfreak

I know we have the thick repaire manual but we just can't seem to find it..

Here is what it says in the repair specifications section:

PTO Clutch Armature to Rotor Clearance...............0.46mm (0.018 in)

PTO Belt Tension Spring Length-----420

Vertical Adjuster.........................................35mm (1.38 in)

Horizontal Adjuster......................................41mm (1.6 in)

Now when you say PTO spring length that is mm correct and I'm not sure what the vetical and horizontal adjusters are?

Please bear with me on this cause the trators not here and I never worked on this before

KB9LOR

Mayfreak, only some models of the JD 420 has the "vertical adjusting bolt"...It does have instructions for checking and tearing down of the PTO Clutch, but too big to put on here.....and quite frankly I am not a JD guy.

I will try to post pics when I get off work, not enough lighting to get a good picture of the "How to..." part.

KB9LOR

Mayfreak, cannot get a good enough picture to post, keeps getting blurry and I don't know why....sorry.

mavfreak

I understand taken pictures in the garage can suck sometimes. Hopefully this weekend I'll get it to my house and maybe i can get some pictures and you can point me in the right direction. Also we searched my moms house over and can not find the books for this tractor. I'll be doing a tune up and oil change on this and replacing a couple of hydraulic lines that have started leaking

T-Mo

I pulled some pages out of the TM, but the quality isn't great as I had to try and reduce the file size to attached it here.

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 18 )

pdf.gif

318TM_pto_1.pdf

mavfreak

Thanks T-mo! Now that answered alot. and I'm printing out now as I type

SAM58

Before you replace the clutch, you might try Fullers Earth.

it is a powder that helps keep the clutch from glazing...

We use it in the Drilling industry.

IMG_0334.jpg