Sign in to follow this  
german old school

replacing an ignition switch

german old school

I have a raider 9 1-6931 ,tecumseh hh-100 I recently picked up with a bad ignition switch,the old set was a heavy switch with no solenoid in line to the starter ,I put a solenoid switch on it,used another WH ignition switch I had on hand with only three tabs on it,one going to the battery side the solenoid that makes the battery connection,another tab going to the solid state ignition unit and the other tab going to the small tab connection on the solenoid,every thing works fine until you turn it to the off position and it keep on running ,seems like there is a bad or no connection to ground somewhere,any ideas

bitten

Is the switch mounted? I know on some of them the switch needs to be mounted to get the ground.

JimD

I would say you have the wrong switch. Tecumsehs were wired differently than Kohlers, so if the switch you are using was from a tractor with a Kohler, it won't work properly. I'm sure others with more info will be along to assist you if needed.

mavfreak

I agree with jim on this...there is differant switchs

Don1977

Don't know what you have, but some switches have a ground to the case and some don't. I was using a none grounded switch on a Briggs and had to run a ground wire through a toggle switch to shut off the engine.

Kelly

Be careful swaping switches on the soild state ign. you can fry it very easy, and used soild state ign. boxes run $100+