Sign in to follow this  
spark949

I saw a Robin yesterday

spark949

A robin landed on the snow in my backyard yesterday. That's the earliest I've ever seen them back around. He did look a little confused. Maybe a good sign for some better weather. I don't know about you....but even though I'm having a good time with my new (to me) snow thrower, I'm ready for spring.

VinsRJ

Spring can't come fast enough for me...... with all of this snow I just hope the temps don't jump to 60 over night and last for a week...... can you say flooding? :thumbs:

Dresden Guy

I also two robins in our backyard.... I even mentioned it to my wife that I could not recal seeing robins this early in the year. They will definitely have a problem digging worms :thumbs: ..... the ground is covered with 2" - 4" of snow and the round frozen to maybe 5" ???

As a side note, I have seen two bald eagles on five different occasions. :thumbs: My wife was with me the other day and said, "You actually have seen bald eagles..... I don't think she thought my prior sightings were accurate ..... you know aging and all!! The eagles are almost always in the same location, even the same tree, along Rt. 16 near Newark, Ohio. I will get a picture. I'm sure others of you see them in your area, but it was a first for me to see them in the wild. They really are huge and majestic looking. :thumbs:

Who else sees them in their locale...... I'm curious???

Trouty56

I've seen 2 bald eagles so far in my area. One was sitting in a tree about 200 yards away and my son and I watched it through a telescope. Very cool to see the feathers of the head ruffle and eyes blink. It ended up flying directly of our heads over the hill. This was a few years ago in early spring. The other was close to York, PA in late fall last year. Most likely they were both just passing through. There is a lake called Raystown Lake west of me in PA that, I am told, has resident eagles.

jdpuller

We have a had a few in the MN river valley near Henderson. you used to have to drive to Winona to see many bald eagles. It is fun when you spot a few on a snowmobile ride.

:thumbs:

theoldwizard1

No birds in SE MI.

Temp around dawn was zero (or below). Wind chill was -10 to -20.

Might break freezing this weekend.

Duff

Who else sees them in their locale...... I'm curious???

I'm lucky enough to live on the Connecticut River between VT and NH, just below the Wilder Dam hydro plant. This keeps the water open all year, and we have one or two eagles here all year, and a couple more in warm weather. About 20 miles north of me there are is at least one nesting pair - I see them every time I'm out boating. Beautiful birds indeed - and freakin' HUGE!!!!! :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs:

dennist

I am fortunate enough to see bald eagles all the time, as we live next to Avian Haven, a wild bird rehab in Maine. We have been around the massive eagles seeing them feed in the pens while we are standing within feet of them. My children have been able to feed baby osprey, owls, robins, you name it. They have been able to release owls and many other birds, it has been a special thing they have experienced. We often go when they release a large bird, we have seen several eagles and hawks being released and they are huge and very powerful birds.

435.jpg

438.jpg

441.jpg

443.jpg

stevasaurus

I've seen them a lot along the Mississippi River. They use it as a flyway. Every once in a while they can be spotted flying around where I live because they have flown up the Illinois River and then the Fox River...which is only a few blocks from me. It stops me in my tracks when I see them...they are truly majestic. :thumbs:

6wheeler

I live 40 miles south of the twin cities,we are very fortunate to have 2 nesting pairs within 1/2 to a mile from my house. I have not seen them since the end of October, but I am sure they will be back. They usually come back towards the end of April or first part of May. It is pretty neat to see them right in my yard. They visit regularly, that drives the crows insane. I let my chickens run loose in the summertime and have only lost 1 to the Eagles. Seeing it on the ground by my shed on the dead chicken was pretty awesome (I figured 1 chicken was a small price to pay) the Eagle flew away with it and he was huge. The chicken was probably about 4lbs. and the Eagle had no problem with it. I always thought they were fishing birds but I guess chicken was on the menu that day. I've been told they will also take cats and small dogs as well. The one bird of prey that is making a huge comeback here is Coopers Hawks, we had 3 of them here last year and they are very hard on songbirds. I quit filling the feeders because the Hawks would hang out in the trees around them and wait for an easy meal.

Roger from southern Iowa

My brother has seen robins here already (guess I don't pay close enough attention).

We also have bald eagles in this area. They are SO majestic!!!

porkchop

:thumbs: I have had robins around off and on all winter. My neighbors have 15 bird feeders. It makes it easy at christmas just get him some golf balls and a bird feeder.

spark949

Ive seen eagles around here now and then. I really have only seen Robins in the spring/summer/fall never in the winter. So when I see them early, I think spring. I do have a good size hawk that lives close by. I see him almost ever day. Sometimes he even sits on my back deck rail. I think he's hungry for my dogs (chihuahua and mini Dac). Heres a pic of him from a couple years ago.

PICT0225.jpg

farmer

With so many eagles around, not surprising only a few Robins ! :thumbs:

JC 1965

we had several 40 degree days in Jan. and i saw several Robbins in our back yard getting worms. Then the weather turned bad and a lot of snow. I sure hope those Robbins made it through the rough weather cause i haven't seen them since. Robbins usually leave this area in late fall and return in early spring. But with the crazy weather we have now i think some of them just get confused and stay all winter. Like i said earlier i sure hope they make it, they're beautiful birds and i love to watch them.

:thumbs:

Sparky

we had several 40 degree days in Jan. and i saw several Robbins in our back yard getting worms.

The poor buggers would have to dig down thru over 24" of snow to get to the ground here. We allways keep the bird feeder full!

Mike.........