Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

Rakes

WheelHorse_of_course

Let me start out by saying, as always, I am on a budget.... :whistle:

I have never seen a Sleeve Hitch landscaper rake) and the tow behind units are rare as well as expensive

I have several needs.

1) Loosen up areas of soil before grading with the dozer blade.

My ideal choice would be a box grader with scarifiers, but until I find one cheap enough I am thinking of other options.

2) Loosen up a thin layer of soil prior to seeding or over seeding.

I am thinking maybe a dethatcher would work for this. Then seed and then aerate (I have a spike aerator). What do you folks think?

3) Raking up sticks and debris (last years leaves, etc) after wind storms

Again a dethatcher might work. :D

My thoughts are a dethatcher, or modified dethatcher (e.g. more tines), might work for some of the above jobs, and are relatively cheep.

Another possibility would be to try and modify a shovel cultivator. :D

I think a disc harrow would work well for 1 and 2.

Needless to say, I wouldn't mind owning ANY of the aforementioned implements, but I am trying to carefully very carefully weight purchases due to limited budget. :WRS:

thanks

CasualObserver

For what it's worth... and if it helps.... I have a pull behind dethatcher, and it does well for raising thatch and sticks to the surface, but it doesn't really have any sort of effect on loosening the soil. the tines aren't strong enough or designed to penetrate subsoil. I wouldn't recommend that for what you're trying to do. I re-seeded last fall after renting a core aerator. I've heard from numerous places that the spike kind are less effective. Note, I didn't say NOT effective... just less. The Core Aerator helps to relieve compaction as well as improving air circulation for encouraging root growth.

Nick

I used a large landscape rake to clean debris off my brothers farm lot last year and it worked very well. It also did more to loosen up the soil than I thought it would. By the time I was done the field was clean, level and ready for planting grass seed. So at least in a heavy 7' model they can handle numbers 1, 2 and 3 on your list. I only assume a lighter rake around 48 to 60" would have the same results.

I have put it off for a couple years but have wanted to build a smaller rake in that 4 to 5' range. Ive been watching the tines at AGRI SUPPLY for a while and might just order some now. I think 25 to 35 of them should do the job. At a cost of $2.09 and shipping for the tines the finished rake shouldnt cost near what used York and other brand name rakes sell for.

I forgot to add that a mid grader blade with a landscape rake on back could be a real nice combo for the work you want to do. It wouldnt be hard to add some sides on the grader blade and you would have a small box blade. :whistle:

WheelHorse_of_course

Nick,

But a mid mount blade would be out of my price range!

But your comments do have me thinking.

I think I need to find one of those brinly tool bars like Mainedad has. I could make that into a rake pretty easily, and also convert it into other things as needed.

hmmm :whistle:

MaineDad

The Brinly Tool Bar is a great piece of equipment to own. I have seen them on eBay and Craigslist before. If you need measurements or dimensions for trying to build one, I would be more than happy to help.

Duff

Going off topic for only a split second....quick question for Micah - where are you at in Maine? There seem to be very few of us WH'ers in northern NE and it's nice to know there's another WH nut nearby, especially if there could be parts swaps in the future!

Deereman

"Livin' large in West Lebanon, NH"

MaineDad

I am in New Gloucester, Maine. About 40 minutes north of Portland. Just northeast of Sebago Lake.

Glad to help if I can with anyone in Northern New England...

Micah

WheelHorse_of_course

The Brinly Tool Bar is a great piece of equipment to own. I have seen them on eBay and Craigslist before. If you need measurements or dimensions for trying to build one, I would be more than happy to help.

Micah,

thanks. I will add this to my list of things to watch for!

Where do you get your seed? Johnny's? My brother and I were heavily into vegetable growing at one time and eventually we moved to mostly Johnny's with occasional Burpee.

I like what you are doing. Too bad my lot is so small and has many tree. The only sunny spot for a garden is literally about 10'x10'.

I do produce my own mulch from all the falling tree limbs and I have started some Ornamental grass I can use to produce my own straw for mulching. I also compost all my leaves and household scraps so I am having fun being as self-sufficient as possible.

MaineDad

I get all my seed from Pinetree Seeds in my town of New Gloucester. They are on the web too at www.superseeds.com. I have a friend that works there too.