Sign in to follow this  
rob65

replacing a wiring harness

rob65

The wiring harness in my 312-8 is fried and needs to be replaced. How difficult is it if you follow the diagrams? Anyone here done it themselves? Looking for some input.

MikesRJ

Making the harness is not all that hard. The hard part will be locating the correct connector shells and matching crimp pins. This post may shed some light on the subject: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=67537

Most automotive supply places has the correct gauge wire; 14, 16 and 18 gauge suffices for almost every application on a tractor of this size.

Perhaps someone here knows a source for the connector parts you might need.

EDIT: Found the connector supplier:

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/connectors.html

Here's an example of a harness addition I did on a Crapsman some years ago. The connectors shown here are from a motorcycle supply house. Unfortunately I cannot find the dealer I went through to get them. If I find it I'll post it here.

ViewHarness.jpg

ViewFront.jpg

ViewSideRear.jpg

NewLightingSchematic.gif

rmaynard

According to the wiring diagram, a 310-8 is pretty straight-forward. The 5-pin connector at the ignition switch can be had either in an empty version that you will have to crimp wires to the internal slide on connectors, or in a version that is already pre-wired with color coded leads coming out. All you have to do is remove the internal connectors and move them to the spot that corresponds to the color coding of your tractor.

Other than that, most connectors are just 1/4" slide-on or eyelet type. If you are at all handy with a soldering iron and a good crimping tool, making up a harness is not hard. Pictured below, I made a complete harness for my B-100 from scratch. Caution, do not use Radio Shack connectors. They are junk. Find a supplier that has quality, commercial grade connectors. For the 5-pin and others, you can contact RedSquare member KB9LOR. He can get them for you.

5280d1b4-1.jpg

Bob

rob65

Thank you for your responce Bob. It is very helpful.

I am seeing most of the parts required on partstree. Do you think I should make my own? Most of the components are very corroded, Ignition switch volt meter, ect. These should be replaced as well, I imagine ? Maybe I'll give it a shot. The only diagram that I have is on partstree, Is there another place to get one?

rmaynard
Thank you for your responce Bob. It is very helpful.

bmuone

The best place for a wiring diagram is the tractor itself. Take pictures of everything before you take it apart. Good luck....bet you can do it.

rob65

The best place for a wiring diagram is the tractor itself. Take pictures of everything before you take it apart. Good luck....bet you can do it.

I did take pictures before I took it apart, However it looks as though someone did some tinkering at some point. The hour meter was disconnected and its wires taped together, there is one line that looks like it had melted the insulation off, and someone wraped it's whole length in tape. That line also has an added fuse fitting.

I like the idea of making my own. I can use higher quality connectors & fittings, and larger dia. wire, correct?

What about the saftey, should I connect all of that or just make a circuit of the lights & starter. (I know it's there for a reason.)

rmaynard

I would wire it just like the original wiring diagram shows. The larger the wire, the more amperage it can handle. Most original wiring on Wheel Horses was 16 gauge. If you wanted to use 14 gauge, that's fine. (Smaller number = bigger wire).

dgoyette

Rob did you price out the complete harness (if it is still available). Just curious what you found for availability and cost. I am sure you could rewire this just fine if you do not buy a complete harness.