stevebo

Single stage vs dual stage snow blower

stevebo

Guys,

I should know this however since I have little experience with front mounted snowblowers I am looking for feedback I can share with my brother who is considering buying a blower for his 416-8. If you can give me honest feedback on the pros and cons of each like one works great in deep snow, slush etc that would be great. I am buying a single stage from a member here for my 417-8 with cab since I have a plow on the 520. Thanks-

dgoyette

Steve bo, here is my experience. I used a 42" single stage for the first time this year.

44" Two Stage

Pros:

Works great in any amount of snow

Throws 15-30 feet depending on water content

Great clearing path! 44" keeps the wheels out of the snow and backing up is easy.

Takes "bites" out of large snow banks easily

Cons:

Very, very heavy!

Requires more room to store

Takes longer to mount

42" Single Stage

Pros:

Weighs a lot less and less room required for storage

Tall chute throws as well as two stage from my experience 15-30 feet

Very quick attaching and taking off

Less weight is transferred off the rear wheels in the "up" position, results in more traction to the rear wheels in the up position.

Cons:

Does not work well in small amounts of snow

With shoes adjusted up 1/2 inch for gravel drive, it seems to throw some snow under the blower therefore not cleaning up nearly as well. Not sure if this is normal.

When blowing more solid snow, the wings can pull the tractor into toward the snow bank. This will happen on heavy or frozen snow due to the angle of the wings.

That has been my experience this year.

stevebo

Thanks Darren. Those are the things I am looking for. How well does the single stage throw slushy snow?

scifi4all

It would depend on how slushy and how slow you want to drive. I would have to say that a single does not throw slush well at all. It clogs the chute and lays on the top of the blower. Maybe others have had more luck. But I have been using one for a decade and that is my experience. :thumbs:

Lost Pup

I have had a 79360 tall chute single stage for two years.

Confirm Pros and Cons above.

You have to use caution on the slush and or ice pack snow when its beneath the snow layer. The plowed mountain where the drive meets the road is a perfect example. I will hold the blower at full height and take the top off only driving over it completely. The plow is used to clear this as it just clogs up the blower. There have been times when I set the skids high and run the entire driveway that way and then plow. You will know when it the chute clogs up a few times when the conditions are right to raise the skids.

I do detail the snowblower in the garage in between uses with a spray wax. Cover all surfaces ad wipe it down. The auger and chute of course. I believe this helps a good bit.

I have swapped my plow and blower between my 417-8 and my 418A and I prefer the blower on the 418A and the plow on the 417-8.

The forward speed of the auto is so easy to set with 418A, I watch the blower discharge and gently set the stick to the "happy" speed and complete a single long pass from our garage to the street, backup and line the blower to a second run.

The 417-8 with the electric lift will lift the blower fine but I like the manual for the plow, plow does not have any problem with any speed. With the blower speed is critical to match the snow conditions present, little to fast and it clogs....

Never used a two stage but I think it would handle the hard pack ice/slush stuff much better than a single.

Jim_M

I agree 100% with what Darren has said. I will also add that in the event of a breakdown, the single stage is generally cheaper and easier to repair.

I prefer a hydro tractor with hydraulic lift for a snow thrower. It seems that with an 8 speed you're always in the wrong gear and even with a helper spring, lifting that blower will wear you out.

A few years ago I owned both, a NOS single stage and a very nice 2 stage. I tried them both for a couple of winters and ended keeping the single stage. I've never regretted it, the single stage can do anything that the 2 stage can, if you use patience and common sense.

Confused99

I had both last year too. A NOS single stage and a very nice 2 stage. I sold the single stage and don't miss it. The 2 stage has been a life save this winter. I even used it on my Raider 12 and had no problems with matching speed with the gear drive. Also lifting was no problem with the assist spring.

mattd860

I've used both and the two stage is by far the better option even though it weighs a ton. My biggest gripe with the single stage is the "wings" on the top and sides. They force the tractor to have to push the thrower into the snow in order for the snow on the sides and top to fall into the thrower. Now this isn't a big deal in light, fluffy snow but 20" of wet hard packed snow make it impossible to push the thrower into the snow unless you have large spikes on your wheels or you weigh 600lbs.

On many occasions I had to take the wings off but with no wings, the thrower is only 32" wide, which doesn't clear the back wheels.

With that said - for normal Connecticut winters like we've experienced for the past 30 years, the single stage is all we need. However, with a winter like the one we've experienced so far, the two stage can throw it better especially for guys like me who can't stay on top of the storm and have to plow/blow snow sometimes days after it happens.

dgoyette

Thanks Darren. Those are the things I am looking for. How well does the single stage throw slushy snow?

Steve - my experience is neither is great but the single stage is better than the two stage. Never had any luck at all with a two stage moving slush. We have a ton of slush this morning so I took out the 42" single on a 416H and it is throwing the slush about 15-20 feet which I was happy with.

However, I tried the single stage on the D-180 and it clogged right up in the slush. In fact clogged up tight and started smoking the belt!

Dukes rubber paddle solution will make the two stage work well with slush.

Gerry w

Never had a two stage, but agree with what Darren has stated in his posts. :thumbs: With the exception of the D, you DO need to find the speed and bite needed with wet, heavy snow. Woke this am to a foot of wet, heavy new snow in my drive and yard area. Which is large, see the video for the D's response to this snow.

th_snowbank.jpg

The wings on the smaller blowers WILL pull you into the bank if not careful, but roller chain on the front wheels as well as front weights help too.

Good luck!

spark949

Next time it snows ill let you clear my drive with the single stage I got this year. So far I am pleased with it. It doesn't throw as far as I'd like it to. But even if it lands on the drive, It'll pick it up and throw it again with no problem. It even threw that one inch of icy slush last week, and it threw it about 20 feet or more. I'd like to have a two stage, but only for the throw distance. And that is only because we got so much snow that there is limited room to put the next storm now. I always did my drive with an Ariens 12hp walk behind blower and this takes less than half the time and it's fun too.

Forest Road

Steve

This is my first year w/ a WH of any sort. I've got a tall chute single on a 314H. To say I'm happy is an understatement. I had 18"+ in the Adirondack park last weekend. With my two stage Ariens I' d have been very uncomfortable all week. The single stage more than handled the bulk of the work. I removed plow embankments and cut access to the back yard. The snow was plowed 7' high. For that I knocked it down w/ a shovel and the blower processed it nicely.

I did find a rock and tear the auger a bit. It didn't slow me down.

No problem throwing the light stuff 20 - 30'.

110207_4484.jpg

Poppa Bear

Newbie here - so I am asking because I don't know - forgive me.  What differentiates a SINGLE STAGE from a DUAL STAGE snowblower.  I have a single stage tall chute - that I am in the process of doing some work on - dismantled, sanding and repainting before putting back together.  In the process of buying another 416 - 8 with a dual stage snowblower.  Just looking for what separates a single stage from a dual stage.  They both run off of one belt.  The impeller and auger both being turned by one belt.  What sets them apart?  Thanks in advance.

lynnmor

On a single stage there is only one component throwing snow and that is the auger across the front spinning fast.  A two stage has a slow spinning auger feeding snow to the impeller that throws it.  

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

On a single stage there is only one component throwing snow and that is the auger across the front spinning fast.  A two stage has a slow spinning auger feeding snow to the impeller that throws it.  

Horses for courses. A search on this site (and earlier posts in this thread) will reveal that both work very well given the right conditions!

The two stage is heavier and a bit more complex mechanically.

Edited by Handy Don

peter lena

@Poppa Bear have to say , what kind of snow do you have ?  light and fluffy is the best for any type of thrower ,I AM  ,right on the snow / sloppy line , had a single stage that was very good at that .  also had another horse with a 42" blade that easily took over anything sloppy . take the time when you are setting up that blower drive belt area , improve lubricants to idler pulleys , heat stress makes original " lube " fail , also that idler pulley frame , has to be greased , also added a heavier pull spring , keep auger chain lubed with chain / cable lube , never let it dry out . bottom line   anything you can do to ASSIST BELT DRIVE ROTATION EASE, WILL MAKE THAT WORK EASIER . no screaming PTO CLUTCH NOISE , thats telling you of drag / bearing issues .2 stage , rotational chain / gear drive , also needs functional detailing , most wheel horse attachments I  have seen , were a train wreck  of neglect , solid rust , bearings shot . they can work very easily , with , detailing , pete