Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

V-twin Desiel or gas?

sgtsampay

Hello all. I have been doing some thinking lately.

The problem:

As you most you guys know, I have a Workhorse GT1600 that I got from a fellow member and I refurbshed the tranny and gave it some much needed TLC on the chassis. I also rebuilt the PTO bell and got a new clutch plate. Then i put my cab on it. I haven't done much work with the motor, but an oil change, replaced the gas lines, plugs and cleaned the jets and away I went. The machine gets the job done and all but uses lots of fuel (About 1-1/2 -2 tanks per storm. thats doing 7-8 driveways) and bogs down pretty easily. Also, I have notiecd that I get about 55psi in each cold jug when I do a compression test, so I think its needs a rebuild.

The solution:

I really don't want ot rebuild the engine and spend several hundred dollars on a 16Hp when for not much more I could get a V-twin that would use less gas, be more powerfull and for the first time ever, be new or semi new.

The Question:

Now should I go desiel or gas? IS there any place where I could get a good deal on a motor? Does anyone here have a V-twin that they want to sale? Is a chinese clone desiel bad? If you gusy have any other things i should think about or whatever, feel free to post. :thumbs:

Thanks guys for all for the help and I can't wait till the get a new motor, as this tractor of mine, i really like. :thumbs: Its a huge step up from the little 211-5 that I was using for about one year. :thumbs:

nylyon

I don't know if the little diesel's are different but with my F250, the diesel doesn't like cold weather very much (and no Ford bashing I have a very good 6.0). If you're using the machine in the winter, you may want to stick with a gas motor.

sgtsampay

Hmmm. Never though about that....

massey

I'm also considering a diesel for the next project. A dipstick heater to keep the oil warmed for the winter use would probably help for starting. Any thoughts?

Jim_M

I have the big clone diesel (13 hp, I think) on a 520-H. It has a glow plug for cold weather starting. It's never let me down but it really stinks up the garage on a cold day.

A Briggs Vanguard V twin may be the answer for you, lots of power and good fuel economy.

sgtsampay

OK, so it seems like a diesel is not the way to go for me... OK, so now how do I get Briggs Vangaurd for a decent price and 2,000 bucks?

sgtsampay

Dang, 1.3K for one of those. Wow.. I will try and look for a used one first.. I jsut don't have that kind of cash. My budget would be about 500-600 max.

KB9LOR

Hello all. I have been doing some thinking lately.

The problem:

As you most you guys know, I have a Workhorse GT1600 that I got from a fellow member and I refurbshed the tranny and gave it some much needed TLC on the chassis. I also rebuilt the PTO bell and got a new clutch plate. Then i put my cab on it. I haven't done much work with the motor, but an oil change, replaced the gas lines, plugs and cleaned the jets and away I went. The machine gets the job done and all but uses lots of fuel (About 1-1/2 -2 tanks per storm. thats doing 7-8 driveways) and bogs down pretty easily. Also, I have notiecd that I get about 55psi in each cold jug when I do a compression test, so I think its needs a rebuild.

The solution:

I really don't want ot rebuild the engine and spend several hundred dollars on a 16Hp when for not much more I could get a V-twin that would use less gas, be more powerfull and for the first time ever, be new or semi new.

The Question:

Now should I go desiel or gas? IS there any place where I could get a good deal on a motor? Does anyone here have a V-twin that they want to sale? Is a chinese clone desiel bad? If you gusy have any other things i should think about or whatever, feel free to post. :thumbs:

Thanks guys for all for the help and I can't wait till the get a new motor, as this tractor of mine, i really like. :thumbs: Its a huge step up from the little 211-5 that I was using for about one year. :thumbs:

Several hundred to rebuild? I can do better than that, I would go through and rebuild it,(Especially if I measured the Bore, Crank and Rod) and could just re-ring it and I have the very same Tractor, it is what I would do! I would go Diesel, but way more than what I want to pay for one.

sgtsampay

Hmm. But even if i do rebuild it, wouldn't the gas comsumption still be high? Also, I really would like something bigger than the 16Hp. Mabye I'm being to greedy? All I want it to do is be able to snowblower with a 44in 2 stage in 1 high and mow with a 42in rear in 1-2 high. Thats really all I want it to do I guess.

Jim_M

I'm betting if it was rebuilt and properly tuned it would use much less gas and I know it would have more than enough horsepower to do what you want to do with it.

A 10 horse tractor will run a 42" deck just fine so there's no reason a 16 horse won't.

sgtsampay

Hmm. Well, I guess I may have to rebuild the thing. I do have aonther briggs 16Hp twin that I could get running if needed also. Hmm.

sgtsampay

Also, would vavle job give it some more power/compression and better fuel ecomomy?

Audioshot

Wow! How big of a deal is it to get that Vangaurd into my 1990 310-8? Would the PTO still bolt up?

mavfreak

that's something else to consider in an engine swap. How much do you have to do to make it work, such as the PTO or the output shaft size. Also the electronics going to be the same or are you going to have to rewire it.

I would say a rebuild would probably be the cheapest rout to go as long as all the expensive parts are usable or serviceable.

baerpath

I googled a 16hp briggs and it came up that it does have an ACR so don't go by the comp test do a leak down after checking/adjusting the valves.

Heck snowblowing sucks the gas no matter what engine you have

Duane

KB9LOR

Hmm. But even if i do rebuild it, wouldn't the gas comsumption still be high? Also, I really would like something bigger than the 16Hp. Mabye I'm being to greedy? All I want it to do is be able to snowblower with a 44in 2 stage in 1 high and mow with a 42in rear in 1-2 high. Thats really all I want it to do I guess.

I believe it would do better, ever put gas in a 16 or 20 Twin Onan with 2 stage? It cannot be any worse than one of those, maybe one of the other 'D" guys can chime in here, I have one of those, but no blower, and even pushing dirt it is a hog!, But I like it anyways..lol, but seriously, rebuilt, tuned up, that Briggs will hum! And you are going to have MORE trouble lifting that blower than that Briggs running that.

can whlvr

i too was wondering about the compresion test,,i read on herea trick,(it was tt that suggested it,u hook up another wheelhorse to the pto to pto on the gt vangaurd,u might have to do a figure 8 then u can check the cimpression,it will be turning at near full rpm,s,and if u rebuild the briggs she will be good for a good long time

sgtsampay

Hmm. Well, its seems like for now I will check the valves next week and see if they are in spec. I will then use it and go from there. I will still keep an eye out for a Vtwin but I may rebuild the engine during the summer. I really don;t know, as I have to see what my bugdet is at the time.

So is sucking down 5-6gallons of gas for 11 drives decent?

Dang, 1.3K for one of those. Wow.. I will try and look for a used one first..

wh500special

I know nothing of their durability, reliability, or quality but you could get the best ( or worst) of all worlds and try a Chinese v-twin diesel.

A1biofuels

Not cheap...but it's not my money :thumbs:

The Briggs twin 16's are pretty nice engines. Rebuilt, it should easily be able to run with any other 16. The 18's are essentially the same, so if looking for a used one don't be shy about widening your search.

Good luck!

Steve

Looks like the hongda can be had for around $870- not sure if I'd chance it at that price unless it was down to something like $600, and I'd seen a few people use them.

sgtsampay

Well I did some research on the clone and think it may be a possability.

Here are its specs:

Model: 2V77F(CE/EC, EPA)(20PS)

Engine type: V-TWIN-cylinder 4-stroke with forced air-cooled OHV

Bore*stroke: 77mm*66mm/77mm*72mm

Displacement: 614ml/670ml

Compression ratio: 8.3:1

Max power output: 12.5kw/3600rpm

Recommend power using: 12kw/3600rpm

Max torque: 40N.m/2500rpm or 30ftlbs

Ignition system: Non-contact transistorized ignition(TCI)

Start model: electric

Air cleaner: Semi-dry oil bath type

Fuel tank capacity:

Fuel consumption: 374g/kw.h

Engine oil capacity: 1.4L

Dimension(L*W*H mm): 455*396*447

Dry weight: 42kg

Carton dimension(L*W*H mm): 660*550*640

QTY/20GP: 95

QTY/40GP: 203

QTY/40HQ: 271

Now, I also noticed a few dealers in my state who can sale these engine, so I want to know how much it will cost for one of these. I also need to know the output shaft of the thing.

I know none likes the clone but honstly they are here to stay and since history likes to repeat itself I bet in a few decades they will be pretty good.

Also, I read the warrenty and they is a 3 year warrernty that comes with this thing.

B-8074

Look at it this way. You can always increase the HP during a rebuild. Check around and see what kind of HP you could get.

pfrederi

Hmm. Well, its seems like for now I will check the valves next week and see if they are in spec. I will then use it and go from there. I will still keep an eye out for a Vtwin but I may rebuild the engine during the summer. I really don;t know, as I have to see what my bugdet is at the time.

So is sucking down 5-6gallons of gas for 11 drives decent?

How long (time wise) are you blowing??? The Kohler twin on my 418 probably burns 1.5-2gals per hour blowing. Wide open throttle and the governor pulling hard is bound to eat up fuel.

The KT 17 on my plow girl doesn't exactly win the Shell Oil fuel economy challenge.