Sign in to follow this  
bmwford94

lights

bmwford94

i have a question about some fog lights i recently put on my yard machine. I bought a fog light kit at walmart and installed them. the battery goes dead but that because the lights are too strong for the battery, is there anyway at all that i can get around that and still have the lights as well as a still charged battery? Thanks!!

Kelly

First make sure the charging system is working.

Fiscalyear

Just an observation.

If you put two fog lights on a lawn tractor and expect the battery to keep up you need to consider the following.

First, the "fog light kit" usually contains two 60 watt halogen type lights.

Second, lets do a basic calculation. Two 60 watt halogen bulbs = 120 watts.

At 120 watts divided by 12 volts we come up with 10 amps required (approximately). Let's say your tractor's amperage output is 3 amps (possibly) - now, see the problem? Even on a good day, tractor's amperage output is 6 amps (some larger tractors) - still a problem. Not knowing the age/condition of your battery, the battery don't stand a chance. At least not for long.

Even with a single fog light you may be pulling more amps for the light than your tractor is capable of putting out.

A DC ammeter would show you your math for this situation. If your tractor has an ammeter it is probably showing a point in the direction of discharge (-) when you turn on the lights.

Maybe a good flashlight taped to the hood would eleminate the problem (just kidding). HA

LOL :thumbs: Eddie

bmwford94

They are powerful little lights, and yes I do realize that the battery is going to go dead because of this. But is there anyway possible that I can keep these lights? The parts guy has two implement lights on his wheelhorse which are about 10x than these and his battery never dies nor do the lights even dim at all. Any other ideas thanks!!

pfrederi

What model are we talking about? What kind of engine? What is the amperage rating of your charging system? Kohler made 3 amp 10 amp 15 amp and even some 30 amp systems????

Get a bigger battery and put it on a charger between uses....

bmwford94

It is a 1998 yard machine with a briggs 12.5 engine

Fiscalyear

Brandon, I feel like the bearer of bad news, so don't shoot the messenger. :thumbs:

First I noticed you said the MTD lawn tractor (not garden tractor size). That being noted I will pass along a couple more bits of information that may be helpful, or NOT.

A lawn tractor usually requires maximum engine speed to put out 12 volts (or a voltage near 12 volts). Some lawn tractors rectify (diode) one side of the alternator output to convert AC output to DC output (3 to 5 amps max) to send a charge to the battery. Keep in mind this is still only at high engine speed. The other side of the alternator output (again 3 to 5 amps max) can be used to power the headlights, through dedicated wireing via headlight switch, since headlights don't care if the voltage is AC or DC. Low engine speed = dim headlights, high engine speed = brighter headlights. Let's don't forget the possibility of overloading the alternator and burning it out.

I believe your MTD tractor fits in this catagory. SO, as was noted by Paul in the above response, you would need a fully charged good high capacity battery and apply a charger between uses.

To answer your question "is there any way possible that I can keep these lights?" the answer is YES - just don't use them on this tractor.

By the way, I'm also using a single 60 watt halogen fog light on the front of my WH GT14 (Cyclops) and have plenty of light. Higher output alternator on the GT14 of course.

Don't forget my other suggestion - taped on flashlight. Kidding again :thumbs:

:thumbs: Eddie

bmwford94

thanks for the answer on that. I will keep them there only for little use because it looks pretty cool. Other than that, thanks for the answers.

Kai Thomsen

Briggs alternators comes in many sizes, most of 12-12.5hp has the 2-4A with unregulated AC for lighting.

But.. the 10/16A stator will fit, you will need the stator and regulator thingie (don't know the word for it in english)

(16A version has a different flywheel with bigger magnets inside)