Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

Tech head...paint or not?

hoppy

were the heads on H60's painted white also? if so should i just roll with priming and the same paint i used on the tins and other parts? or just leave it in its clean blasted state? winter engine only so i dont see over heating as an issue if it is painted.

TT

Anything that was exposed after the engines were assembled got painted.

If you leave it unpainted, it will eventually turn white from oxidation.

Confused99

I could be wrong but I believe the heads on almost all small engines are not supposed to be painted. The head on the Kohler from my Raider is unpainted and had no oxidation.

VinsRJ

I do not paint my aluminum heads.... but that's because I like the look.

DMK855

Vince, How do you keep them from getting all nasty looking?? I am in the middle of an engine project and the head was really nasty with corrosion. I put it in the blast cabinet and was not happy with the results. Had some left over "Aluminum" high heat paint so I tried that.........Not happy with that either!!!! :banghead:

Sorry for High Jacking the thread....... :thumbs:

hoppy

i suppose once all the sheetmetal is back on the motor you dont see much of the head anyway. think im going to just leave it plain.

Kelly

I paint all mine, I like the raw alum. look but if you blast it, it will oxidize faster than leaving it with the cast finish.

wheelhorse656

Vince, How do you keep them from getting all nasty looking?? I am in the middle of an engine project and the head was really nasty with corrosion. I put it in the blast cabinet and was not happy with the results. Had some left over "Aluminum" high heat paint so I tried that.........Not happy with that either!!!! :banghead:

got to your local auto store and get a can of high heat clear coat and spray that on it thats what i do with all of my heads. I think napa is the only one that does not sell the clear coat high heat. :ROTF:

VinsRJ

I like to soak the head over night in lacquer thinner to remove pain, oil, and what

... winter engine only so i dont see over heating as an issue if it is painted...

Will a thin layer of paint on aluminum affect heat transfer much? I wonder. :thumbs: