Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Wendover

Tractor Help...

Anthony Wendover

Last fall this problem started but now in the winter it is horrible. It makes a buzzing sound and wont turn over. I lift the hood and i tap around with a hammer on the solenoid a little it will eventually start.. So do you guys think it is definitely the solenoid?

Duff

Sounds like some water got in there and gummed up the works by freezing. If tapping on the solenoid gets the starter to turn over (as opposed to tapping on the starter itself, whcih is not recommended), then yes, I'd say it's the solenoid. May just be partly corroded connections to the solenoid, too - check them if you haven't already.

Which of your tractors is this happening to?

Duff :banghead:

Anthony Wendover

Happing to the Wheel Horse 312-8... I have actually tapped the starter motor as well :banghead: and it would turn but usually tapping the solenoid gets it done.. I did notice some loose connections.. I tightened them and no difference at all... Huge storm coming the next 2 days so i decided i better get this fixed now and not spring lol

sgtsampay

Sounds like some water got in there and gummed up the works by freezing. If tapping on the solenoid gets the starter to turn over (as opposed to tapping on the starter itself, whcih is not recommended), then yes, I'd say it's the solenoid. May just be partly corroded connections to the solenoid, too - check them if you haven't already.

Which of your tractors is this happening to?

Duff :banghead:

:thumbs: I never have doen htat before. :ROTF:

Anthony Wendover

actually its weird sometimes now that i think of it.. tapping doesnt always work.. Sometimes pushing it forword then backwords either way then try it it will start.. or if u move the shifter around it will... something funny i think hopefully it is the solenoid

Duff

With those symptoms it sounds more like one of the safety switches - could be a bad switch or bad connection to a switch.

Experts - anyone want to jump in on this? :banghead:

Duff :thumbs:

whfan74

From the sounds of it are you sitting on the seat when you are trying to tap on it? The reason for asking is that the safety switch under the seat may be going bad. Just shifting forward enough while trying to reach the engine could make a connection and other times it may not. You can bypass that switch all together. Just one thought........

Anthony Wendover

I actually allready have that switch bypassed from when i switched seats...

Is there a switch to do with the clutch?

kpinnc

Is there a switch to do with the clutch?

Yes.

At least there is on the 1987 and up models. Not sure of the prior ones.

Anthony Wendover

hmm wounder if that coule be going? But if it is a switch does it make that click sound... Im thinking maybe just get the solenoid and put it on... Its only $20 anyway...

6wheeler

When you try to start it, does the solenoid just click? Or does it hum. Or does the starter actually run without engaging. (sort of like an electric motor). The reason I ask is, If it is the solenoid, you could jump it when it doesn't seem to work(I mean the solenoid). Jump a wire from the power side to the little stud with the wire on it and if the starter turns replace the solenoid. I always have extras because my Ford trucks take the same one.

rydogg

I was having a similar problem and found out it was the wire going to my starter that was loose so it was arcing and making a buzzing sound, when I wiggle the starter wire it gets contact and turns over.

Anthony Wendover

Starter runs and sounds like an electric motor to be 100% accurate in my description

6wheeler

If thats the case, I'd lean towards the starter drive itself. If the motor runs, but doesn't engage the gear. When that happens turn off the key, and try it again.(you may have to do it a couple of times )But if it eventually engages, I'd check out the starter.

Anthony Wendover

darn.. any idea what that job entails or the price>?

6wheeler

Actually, taking it off isn't a big deal at all. Splitting the starter isn't bad either. Just a little time consuming. I usually take them apart and try cleaning the gear assembly. Usually with brake cleaner. They usually have sort of a gummy black dust on them from brush wear or a carbon like dust common in electric motors. the hardest part , I think is getting the brushes back in (for me thats the time consuming part). But they usually work great afterwards. Good Luck.

TT

I don't think I'd dive into the starter just yet......

The bendix drive requires a sudden, powerful jolt of electricity to the starter motor to get it to engage. If the connections between the battery and the starter motor are corroded, loose, etc., the power loss might be sufficient enough to produce this situation.

Check and clean all connections first - including all grounds. Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Swap the solenoid out with your other tractor and see if there's a difference.

Try a jumper wire from the power side of the solenoid to the small trigger post. That will tell you if there's a problem between the ignition switch "S" terminal, PTO safety switch, clutch switch, and the solenoid. (make sure tractor is in neutral)

The seat switch has nothing to do with the starter circuit - unless someone has it wired incorrectly.

If you're adventurous, try connecting ("jumping") both large posts at the starter solenoid with pliers, two screwdrivers, or something similar.

KB9LOR

If you need a solenoid, grab the number off of it and shoot me a PM, or even a starter IF you end up needing one, I can check prices on them both, but as TT said, exhaust ALL options before replacing anything!

gimgrund1

i have had the similar problem. you need to try cleaning ALL terminals and contacts then make sure connections are tight. good luck

rjr

Take a jumper cable attach one end to the positive side of the battery and the other to the terminal on the starter. If the starter starts spinning then you can blame the solenoid or the wiring

hm12460

Anthony, these tractor's are getting old. Make sure all your electrical connections are clean and tight. I had to replace the starter solenoid on my B-80 a couple months ago and i was really disgusted with the price of a new one from Toro. My local Advance Auto had a generic small engine solenoid for considerably cheaper, but it was pretty cheap looking and generally of poor quality. They sold me one for a Meyers snow plow and it works great! Best of all it is a heavy duty unit and cost $8.00. Let us know what you find out.