Sign in to follow this  
dspdante

hot transaxle 523Dxi

dspdante

hello there,

did some mowing today and noticed a loss in transmission power. Checked the rear and noticed a film of oil on the transaxle concentrated around the gasket and the transaxle was too hot to touch. Cooling fan on the drive shaft is spinning fine, the engine was running perfectly and the transaxle fluid level was full. Anyone deal with a similar scenario?

Rideawaysenior

You may want to change out the fluid and if there is a leak near the pump gasket that may need to be replaced too. I had an issue with my tranny loosing power before but found it due to the oild loosing viscosity due to age and wear. new oil did the trick.

wh500special

Geez, I hope it isn't a serious problem.

You probabably already are, but make sure you're running the engine at full throttle...partial throttle is hard on hydros.

I'd start by thoroughly cleaning the entire exterior of the transaxle. While the cooling fan is there to help, any accumulated gunk only insulates the case and slows down heat loss.

After cleaning, change the fluid and filter....use the OEM TORO filter to make sure you're circulating oil as designed. No substitutions.

Does this tractor have an indicator lamp for the transmission temp? If so, did it illuminate? I don't know what temps these things are supposed to run at (max) but I recall that the transaxle on an old D-series I had was REALLY hot after moving a bunch of gravel with the dozer blade on a summer day. And, that tractor had a working temp guage that showed it still had a long way to go before it got in the danger zone. It was too hot to touch too.

Of course, being that you lost pulling power, I think you're definately overheating.

Make sure there aren't any restrictions in the hydraulic lift/power steering circuits. If something is amiss there or a relief valve has gotten messed up (opening at too high pressure) then you might be building heat in the lift/steering system and not in the transmission portion itself.

I would assume that the shop repair manuals for the 5xi would provide troubleshooting info and specs for this transaxle.

Man, this is a tough problem and I hope you get it licked quickly. that 523 is an awesome tractor and I'd love to have one too!

best of luck!

Steve

dspdante

No tranny temp gauge but I checked with my dealer over the weekend and he said the transaxle should get hot during operation. He went on to say that nearly all WH transaxles seep a little fluid from the gasket. To test that theory, i looked at two brand new 520xi tractors in his showroom and sure enough, there was a film of oil on the around the gasket.

As for the loss of power, he said drop the oil, change the transaxle filter and clean the power steering screen.

The Hydraulics System Service Manual says I can use either 10W-30 or 10W-40. I'm going to try the heavier 10W-40 and see if that helps.

I'll keep you posted.

dspdante

Problem solved. When I dropped the transaxle fluid it was thin which was the first indication. Next, the filter was the original. The last step was cleaning the power steering screen, and I got another surprise. It was covered with sludge. Sprayed with some solvent, put it back together and mowed an acre. Power steering, Hydro and lift ran smooth and quiet with full power. The previous owner let it sit for several years and used in sparingly to remove snow. Very relieved as you can imagine.

TT

That is GREAT news!

I'm glad to hear that it was a relatively inexpensive fix. :whistle:

Power steering, huh? Must be nice. :WRS: :D

DMESS

That is GREAT news!

I'm glad to hear that it was a relatively inexpensive fix. :whistle:

Power steering, huh? Must be nice. :WRS::D

Hear that Eldon, POWER STEERING. Guess you need one of these now!

Challenger

I have a 200 hour, 522xi. Minutes ago I returned from my 30 plus year authorized Toro Wheel Horse dealer. While dropping the tractor off for complete service I asked that they clean the Power Steering SCREEN.

The dealer, a great guy, didn't know what I was talking about. He's never heard of a power steering screen or filter.

What say you??? Is there a power steering screen to be cleaned/serviced? If so, where is it located? How do you get to it? I promised my dealer more information by Monday morning.

Thanks for the help.

Philnc

The screen is in a verticle round housing about 3 " long which is behind the LEFT lower dash panel which has the 522xi decal on it. After removing the panel,hydraulic lines, and the housing, take the housing apart, and there's the screen. Hope that helps.....

Forest Road

Filters, screens loss of power.... I'm liking my 8 speed more and more. Love my hydro but....less maintenance makes me happier man!