Sign in to follow this  
ryan2121

Got new led panel headlights but no light

ryan2121

Ok like the topic says I just bout some new 36 led panel headlights , that I had seen mentioned on here but when I went to install them they are so dim you can barely tell there even lit. I used a volt meter and checked the socket and I am getting 12v. The only thing I can come up with is when I pulled the engine I forget to disconnect the stator so in a bind I cut the wires, if I would have spliced these back together wrong could this affect my lights? Also this is on a 76 C-120. And the taillight is still working fine just as bright as ever.

just me

just a guess but maybe a week ground :banghead: also did you try at halve or full throttle?

rmaynard

As to the stator question, you cannot splice it wrong, only bad. It is AC voltage. Are the lights bright if you hook them directly to the battery? Remember, LED's are polarized, (+) must got to (+) and (-) to (-). When running at full throttle, you should have +/- 14.5 volts DC at the battery.

I would test them with a direct connection to a known, good source of 12 volts DC.

smoreau

As to the stator question, you cannot splice it wrong, only bad. It is AC voltage. Are the lights bright if you hook them directly to the battery? Remember, LED's are polarized, (+) must got to (+) and (-) to (-). When running at full throttle, you should have +/- 14.5 volts DC at the battery.

I would test them with a direct connection to a known, good source of 12 volts DC.

:ROTF: thats right leds have to be wired right for them to work. try reversing the wires at the lights. :thumbs: :banghead:

WheelHorse_of_course

:thumbs: thats right leds have to be wired right for them to work. try reversing the wires at the lights. :banghead:

ryan2121

Ok I got the lights to work I ran all the wires down and found a break in the headlight wire, Im guessing it was just making enough connection to show voltage on the meter but not enough to light up the lights. I replaced the wire and all is good now.

Sparky

Can we get a picture of this setup?

Mike........

wheelhorse656

Can we get a picture of this setup?

Mike........

i agree with sparky