Sign in to follow this  
COMMANDO1

AG'S

COMMANDO1

Sound out, lets hear it before i buy.

Do chains help w/AG'S?

rmaynard

Yes, but be prepared to be shaken around a lot.

billyban1

I can't imagine needing chains with ag's, unless you're on dirt or gravel. I've pushed snow on my neighbors packed down gravel driveway and darn near stalled the engine because of the ag's traction. My blacktop drive will stall it, unless it's ice covered.

SAM58

Depends on the tractor...

I have a 416-8 with a 54" blade works great!

Also I have a C-141 Auto with a 42" blade that has to have chains or it justs sits & spins.... with chains it will go anywhere.

Both have AG tires

:banghead:

VinsRJ

Bob is totally on the mark......... keep in mind also the chains flop around a little more with ags.

oldnugly

I have a set of 2-link chains I bought for the AG's on my C-160-8spd with wheel weights. They're still sitting in the box they came in.

I've plowed six times so far this winter and haven't needed them on my gravel drive. The snow has only been 4-6 inches deep and not the heavy wet stuff. But it showed no sign of starting to lose traction.

Others can help you with ice or paved or concrete surfaces.

rmaynard

I can plow all day long without chains as long as the road is level and the snow is light and no more than about 4" deep. After that, chains are a must for me.

I have used AG's and am now using turf tires. AG's without chains have very little traction on a paved drive since they were designed to dig into dirt or gravel. Going through wet snow with AG's is fine with the plow up, but once the snow has been pushed, and the bare pavement is showing, the AG's no longer grip without chains. Turf tires without chains grip fine until the snow gets heavy. So my answer would be, if you are serious about plowing snow, put chains on no matter what type of tire you use.

Just my experience. You may have a different one.

rydogg

I was using bar tread tires on my C160 until we got a thaw that refroze and made the my whole gravel driveway a skating rink and the bar tires couldn't get any traction. I put on a pair of skidloader type tires and rims that were on a JD 110 and some 2 link chains with "ice biter" links and I have no problem now and the chains don't sink in between the bars like they would on the other tires.

craigslist071.jpg

Ken B

One of the guys I work with has a C-141 with Carlisle Ags, the tires are filled with fluid for weight. He thought all was going to be well this winter with no chains because he got lucky last yr. and didn't slip. Well, I told him just wait because there will come a time when the conditions will make them ags useless. His luck ran out this season! All it takes is that one time for the snow to pack down real hard in the driveway and then you get a good dumping of snow and the Ags are now useless. He finally chained up like I told him to and he can't believe how much he can now push. This yr. in CT we aren't counting each storms accumulation in inches, we are counting them in feet!

stevebo

I agree with Ken. If you have any sort of grade and/or ice or packed snow then any tire without chains are useless. I have ags on my Terramite and that thing has more than enough weight but it cannot get out of it's own way on any sort of slope or packed snow/ice.

The very best combo is turf tires with low tire pressure and 2 link v bar chains. Add a little weight and you will not find a better set up. :banghead:

Sparky

The very best combo is turf tires with low tire pressure and 2 link v bar chains. Add a little weight and you will not find a better set up. :banghead:

I second what Steve said. And if you can get 2 ply turfs instead of 4 ply they will be "softer" and will be unstoppable with chains. I used brand new AG's ( no chains) one winter and was very disappointed and will never go back to them for winter chores.

Mike........

can whlvr

i know that im not talking about wheelhorses here but up here we run chains on our forklifts and on a backhoe where i used to work,the ags are ok in normal but as soon as any ice built up your arnt going any where and yes a very rough ride

Arndts small engine repair

Hi you can look at or d video with ag tires and the chians are fine ! we have used them on them for years ! i have seen a big john deere tractor having a hard time to push deep snow with just a little ice under the snow ! we have chains ! here is the link ! good luck !

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=25027

chains

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=25087

:banghead:

rustbucket

i use turfs with chains. have a set of chains on my blower tractor and putting a set of chains on my one plow tractor tomarrow. dirt road comunity and the plows tend to leave the road an ice sheet. the comunity plows that is.

jimbotelho

I just removed the ags with chains off of my 417h and put turfs on (uncle bo let me try them ) the machine is so much better and I dont have weights as yet With weights it will push like hell this is my opinion been there!! good luck :ROTF::thumbs: :banghead:

Bill

Myself I have ran both 23x12x12'Ags with chains and 23x12x12 turfs with chains, and the turfs did so much better then the ags on my gravel driveway

WheelHorse_of_course

The single biggest factor is surface area. The smaller the surface area in contact with the ground the greater the pressure (lbs/square foot). From most to least surface area:

Wide Turf Tires

Narrow snow/turf tires

Wide ags

Narrow ags

Chains 4 link

Chains with snow teeth 4 link

Chains 2 link

Chains with snow teeth 2 link

The harness of the biting area is the second factor, but is clearly secondary. That is why "rubber chains" work so well, as they still reduce the surface.

The width of the tire is the factor a lot of people don't factor in. My 854 did amazingly well with out chains. I got chains for it but sold it before I had the chance to try them.

:thumbs: :banghead:

Dresden Guy

I agree with Ken. If you have any sort of grade and/or ice or packed snow then any tire without chains are useless. I have ags on my Terramite and that thing has more than enough weight but it cannot get out of it's own way on any sort of slope or packed snow/ice.

Stevebo & Ken ..... DITTO!! :thumbs:

I use that exact setup (Turfs w/ lowered pressure + Vbar/2-link + wheel weights, or in my case, my large butt) and I can go without slipping on snow, ice, or any other winter surface with my C-160-8!

IMHO, ags are for garden plowing, tilling, pushing dirt with a plow, gravel leveling, etc. (or just neat looking with tri-ribs on the front) but they are rendered almost useless for winter applications.

Polaris2007

I gotta agree with the above posts. Turfs aired down to 3 or 4 psi, 2-link chains, and PLENTY of weight = not getting stuck.......very often:-)