Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Tire inflation help

nylyon

The trailer which I just got for free the tires flat and bead broken on both sides. Using 120PSI, I was able to seat the one tire, but that second one is giving me troubles. I've tried to tie a rope around the perimiter of the tire and twist it to get it to seal, but I am not having any luck. I will probably tube these so this will never happen again, but I wanted to get this tire seated, any suggestions?

Karl -- playing with the new stuff....

T-Mo

So Karl, did you play hookie from work to play with your new toys?

Instead of a rope, how about a ratchet-type strap? Or at least the cam-type straps? Getting a tire to seat is sometimes troublesome. If all else fails, take it to a tire dealer. As for any other bright ideas I might have, that's it. :D

nylyon

I'm one of those fortunate guys and work 100% from home. Sometimes I end up working until midnight and many weekends, but it sure flexible when personal things need to be done durig "working" hours, and the commute is great too! I will give the ratchet a shot and let you know....

kj4kicks

Did you try taking the guts out of the valve stem? That will let the air flow ALOT faster.

Ditto on the ratchet strap idea.

Eldon.

CasualObserver

forget the straps, and ropes... spritz a little ether in there and toss a match at it. It will ignite and pop onto the beads. I can't stress the word cautionenough though. :D

nylyon

Well, I tried the ratchet, and thanks for the reminder about the valve core, I should have remembered that. The tires are 4.80x4.00-8 and when I crank down on it it buckles. I'm going to make a HW store run and pick up some tubes, be better off anyway when they lose air again, I don't want to go through this mess again....

nylyon

Fixed. Went to my local little guy hardware store, which I love to go to, to pick up a tube and they didn't have any left. What they did have was a complete tire with tube. They were going to charge me $12 and take the tube out of it then I figured what the heck, I'll get the tire too. He looks at me and said, "well, since you didn't come in here for a tire, I'll just charge you $15 for the tire and tube." Well that's a deal, I came home put it on in about 3 minutes and got it out of my garage ready to use! When they get more tubes in, I'll tube the other side and be done with this.

Thanks for the help!

Curmudgeon

forget the straps, and ropes... spritz a little ether in there and toss a match at it. It will ignite and pop onto the beads. I can't stress the word cautionenough though. :D

I cringe whenever someone brings up that trick, and I'm familiar with emergency rooms from what I am willing to try.

Dale

T-Mo

I have heard of that trick, but have been too afraid to try it. I think I better play it safe and use the strap trick instead.

kpinnc

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've gotta ask...

I've got a new tire that I can't get the bead to seat on the rim. It seals and pumps up just fine, but has a place that just won't come up to the bead. I've put about 50 PSI in the thing, and nothing. It's a 23x8.50x12 AG tire.

Any suggestions?

And NO, I'm terrified of the match trick.

nylyon

Did you try a little soapy water on it? I had a similar issue after putting in a tube one part didn't seat. I put the tire on and rode around for a little bit and by the end of the day it was fine. Try a little soapy water first, not too much you don't want it inside the tire for ever...

Curmudgeon

I've heard Simple Green makes an excellent tire mounting lubricant as well. After the last two tires I mounted, I'd have to agree.

My point is basically, yeah, some type of lubricant to help ease the tire onto the bead.

Another thought, are there any imperfections in either the rim or tire that might promote it hanging up?

If 50 pounds won't do it, try 60. That I would be willing to do, especially if it's a 4-ply. Heck, the tires on my trailer, I think they say 20PSI max, I run 40 in them all the time. Yeah, I have a tendency to ignore rated load capacities and GO FOR IT!!!!!

Dale, in Michigan

Mith

I've got a new tire that I can't get the bead to seat on the rim. It seals and pumps up just fine, but has a place that just won't come up to the bead. I've put about 50 PSI in the thing, and nothing. It's a 23x8.50x12 AG tire.

Any suggestions?

Sorry I'm a little late in on the show here.

When I installed my 26x12x12s I had a problem like this. Tried everything short of ether.

I finally got it to seat, pumped it up to 60psi and rolled it down a flight of steps, as it bounced off the bottom step it popped on.

You can also drive around a bit and sometimes they pop into place.

Soap around the bead helps too.

popcat

Going to bump another one.:lol:

I was told that if you're up to the risk, when all else fails when trying to get the bead to seat is....lighter fluid.

Squirt a little inside the tire, use a long handled lighter or match and fire her up. The bead should pop into place.