Sign in to follow this  
CasualObserver

Speed reduction kit for 1960 Suburbans

CasualObserver

I don't have one, but I do have literature that shows there is/was one.

I was looking at the parts list for the WT-30 1960 rear self-powered tiller, which was designed to be attached to the rear of the 1960 Suburban. Kind of a neat setup if you study the picture. No wheels, it was mounted to the tractor on what looks like sort of a three point type setup. As I was looking at the picture on the parts list, I wondered how they managed to run a tiller without gear reduction, as the Uni-drive typically is too fast for those tillers. But then I noticed both in the picture and the drawing, it shows that there is a gear reduction kit for the Suburban. I had never realized this before and wondered if anybody knows of anyone who has one or pictures of one? I would assume if anyone has one, it will show up at the Wheel Horse show... if anybody sees one, please take a couple of nice pictures for me. I've never seen a real life picture of the WT-30. Here's the image from the parts list.

wt30.jpg

Similarly, I would think that there would have been a SR kit for the later WT 241/242... for use with the 61-63 tractors... but there's no mention of it again until the SR-64 in 1964. (at least I always assumed the 4 on that was for the year, like all the other attachments of that era... ) BP? TT? Anyone? Can someone shed some light on this one?

TT

Jason, see this topic:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=868

(scoll down about 10 posts)

Sounds like there's at least one floating around out there. :whistle:

CasualObserver

thanks TT... so take some pictures of that for me, will ya? I still want to see the tiller too.

That's gotta be one of the rarer WH birds, eh? I'm actually surprised BP lost that race. According to the p/l... the reduction pully on the Suburban's kit is only a 7 inch pulley... whereas the one that Bill mentioned the other day for the SR-64 is a 7 1/2 inch, which should have meant that Bill would have been going slower if the engines were the same.... RPMs between the 6hp and the 4hp must be different, or the gearing in the three piece vs. the two piece tranny is different?

TT

The tractor Terese was using looks a lot more like a 551 to me. :whistle: (I wasn't there. :D )

If that's the case, it has the two-piece Uni-Drive and should be geared the same.

Something tells me that the WT-30 reduction kit might be a double reduction. (the pulley behind the 7" might be smaller than 4" - which is the size of the transmission pulley.) If it is, it's no wonder the tractor can crawl like a snail in January! :dunno:

If it's there (or I can track down Tim & Terese before the show) I'll be sure to get some pictures. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey "DualWheels" Norm.... is there one of these at your place that you forgot you had????? :WRS:

linen beige

I don't have one, but I do have literature that shows there is/was one.

I was looking at the parts list for the WT-30 1960 rear self-powered tiller, which was designed to be attached to the rear of the 1960 Suburban. Kind of a neat setup if you study the picture. No wheels, it was mounted to the tractor on what looks like sort of a three point type setup. As I was looking at the picture on the parts list, I wondered how they managed to run a tiller without gear reduction, as the Uni-drive typically is too fast for those tillers. But then I noticed both in the picture and the drawing, it shows that there is a gear reduction kit for the Suburban. I had never realized this before and wondered if anybody knows of anyone who has one or pictures of one? I would assume if anyone has one, it will show up at the Wheel Horse show... if anybody sees one, please take a couple of nice pictures for me. I've never seen a real life picture of the WT-30. Here's the image from the parts list.

wt30.jpg

Similarly, I would think that there would have been a SR kit for the later WT 241/242... for use with the 61-63 tractors... but there's no mention of it again until the SR-64 in 1964. (at least I always assumed the 4 on that was for the year, like all the other attachments of that era... ) BP? TT? Anyone? Can someone shed some light on this one?

The owner's manual for the WT-30 (30 inch, 6 hp) shows a speed reduction unit as included in the package with the tiller. Toro shows the WT-30 being available for 1960 only. The WT-241, (1961) and WT-242 (1962) were tow behind, 24 inch, 5.5 hp units. And no mention of a speed reducer for 1961-1963. I guess WH thought it possible to "balance" the throttles of the tractor and tiller. NOT THAT EASY! Interestly, there is no mention of a tiller for 1963. Perhaps the WT-242 didn't sell very well? The WT-244 (1964) is a 24 inch, tow behind, 6 hp. unit. The SR-64 speed reduction is listed as an accessory for at least the model 704, maybe other 1964 models. I have a WT-241. Having used it behind my 702 I can say that a speed reducer would come in very handy, as I have to ride the clutch/brake to hold a good forward speed with the tiller. Or, rather, let me say that I have to ride the brake, because the tiller has enough power to push the tractor with the clutch in, but the tractor pulls the tiller just a little too fast for good tilling with the clutch out. Same story if hitched to my 1054a. I'm not a big fan of the hydros, ( I always feel awkward working the motion lever.) but I think they would be perfect for use with tillers. I plan on finding out as soon as I find the idler pulley set up for the 36 inch tiller I bought for my charger 9. I know that somewhere I have a breakdown of the gear ratios for all the manual transaxles from 1958 to at least 1965, but I can't find it. I remember there is a difference between the early ones and the two piece, but don't recall which one is geared lower. I also think it's interesting that a handfull of manufacturers are now offering tow behind, self powered tillers (DR, Agrafab, and Craftsman at least.) very much like the old WT-241,242,and 244. WH was ahead of it's time.