Sign in to follow this  
meadowfield

C-101 steady progress

farmer

Mark,

Look at it this way, you now know which part on the westwood which is least likely to ever break. :thumbs: :thumbs:

meadowfield

Managed to finally get the hood painted last weekend after a few weeks in the tank and then lots of filler to fill the tiny pit marks.

cleanhood.jpg

hoodfilled.jpg

looking all nice and shiny

c101%20hood.jpg

Some of the fleet ! my trusty 79' Dixon ZTR

c101ztr.jpg

mark

Horse'n Around

Wow, it really turned out great. It makes me want to go into the dungeon/cellar/garage and work on mine :thumbs:

John

neil

looking really nice Mark, when you gonna put some of your own decals on it, also your light lens that you made.

meadowfield

just waiting for paint to fully dry, then decals will go on - need to add wiring for front lights, mine didn't come with lights...

WH854

Great Job Mark :thumbs::wh:

Chas

Anglo Traction

Looking Good Mark!. Is that your next project in the Trailer? :thumbs: .

JimD

Very nice! :thumbs:

repairman

sharp :thumbs: :wh:

meadowfield

Looking Good Mark!. Is that your next project in the Trailer? :thumbs: .

thats my 74 raider...

was rolling on all fours before I donated the gearbox to my dad...

Not sure whether to re-assemble or combine with another non-runner if I can find one!

Quite like the idea of a hybrid along the line you are doing.

How does Raider 800, Range-a-matic, C-Raider, Raider-101 sound? :wh:

repairman

I like Raider Range-A-Matic :thumbs:

HunterdonNJ

Great job! Love your stone wall as well.

Jonas

meadowfield

Today I applied the decals !

c101decalled.jpg

c101arty.jpg

I'm really pleased with how it turned out, just the front light wiring to do now

meadowfield

and the engine ones too !

newengine.jpg

wheeledhorseman

:thumbs: Engine looks so good! I'm beginning to think I should have spent more time achieving the same finish on the engine of my C-120. I was looking at mine today and trying to puzzle out the correct routing for the ignition suppy wire which at present wanders across the top like yours. Is this how they were?

meadowfield

:thumbs: Engine looks so good! I'm beginning to think I should have spent more time achieving the same finish on the engine of my C-120. I was looking at mine today and trying to puzzle out the correct routing for the ignition suppy wire which at present wanders across the top like yours. Is this how they were?

Ahh. The wire ran through a clip along the top edge, but I unclipped it to apply the decals.

I am going to add 12" of wire in and run it under the cowl alongside the fuel pipe then it's practically hidden.

wheeledhorseman

The wire ran through a clip along the top edge, but I unclipped it to apply the decals.

Interesting, I fixed the fuel pipe back to the cowl today and decided that the ign cable must have originally run that way but somewhere along the line had got shortened. :thumbs: I'm puzzled why the designers chose to take it across the top, surely not to save on a few inches of cable? I think I'll opt for the long route too - may not be original but to my mind a better solution.

meadowfield

So ashamed was I at my disturbingly red spark plug :thumbs:

that it is all nice and shiny now! :wh:

I have just added 10 inch to the coil wire and run it under the cowl along with the choke and fuel pipe. Much neater...

mark

Anglo Traction

The wire ran through a clip along the top edge, but I unclipped it to apply the decals.

Interesting, I fixed the fuel pipe back to the cowl today and decided that the ign cable must have originally run that way but somewhere along the line had got shortened. :thumbs: I'm puzzled why the designers chose to take it across the top, surely not to save on a few inches of cable? I think I'll opt for the long route too - may not be original but to my mind a better solution.

I also found it strange they started routing the Cable over the Shrouds (on the 74 C-120). It is routed down behind the Bearing Plate and Blower Housing, then 'Zip Tied' to the Fuel inlet on the Pump on my 72 Raider. I'll do the same as Mark, it's much tidier

n1defan

:thumbs: That is a nice looking tractor Mark. Keep up the good work.

wheeledhorseman

So ashamed was I at my disturbingly red spark plug

A partially painted plug could be more accurate than you think if trying to achieve a 'factory finish'. I am (sadly) old enough to remember the garden machinery my father bought new during the 60s and 70s. The 1960s Suffolk 4-stroke mower came with a partially painted spark plug as did the 19 inch flymo with 2-stroke Tecumseh which replaced it in the early 70s.

The plugs had obviously been inserted during engine assembly and before painting which makes sense as the hole would have to be blanked off with something to prevent paint entering the cylinder. In each case most of the plug insulator had been masked off so its possible Kohlers were painted like this too. Does anyone in the States remember?

I sometimes now can't remember where I put a part down only a few minutes ago :thumbs: but have a photographic memory for things that fascinated me as a kid. Must have been destined to restore old things :wh: .

meadowfield

I sometimes now can't remember where I put a part down only a few minutes ago :thumbs: but have a photographic memory for things that fascinated me as a kid. Must have been destined to restore old things :D .

I can remember where I put it, but I can look through the same box or on the bench for 10 mins and then give up :wh:

Only to look a little later and it was exactly where I thought it was, and had looked :D

I think I must being going blind...

iicap

Just a note on the painted spark plug. It may not apply today but in years past paints had lead in them. We were taught never to paint the porcelen of a plug as it was possible for the spark to travel to ground thru the paint to the nut of the plug and give a no fire or misfire at times. As an example our teacher took a plug and lead pencil, drew a line from the top terminal to the nut and it prevented the plug from firing.............Oh I was 14 then, now I'm 68, at least the memory is still ok.

sgtsampay

Looks great! Very nice restore!

Stigian

made a linkage for my son's westwood at the weekend from a handy piece of rod... unsure.gif

turns out it was the PTO control rod

Did you find a new PTO control rod Mark?

I've got a spare one your welcome to have.. Easy enough to put in the post.

I saw you were bidding on the trans I had on fleabay, for another project?

That's a first class job your doing on your C-101, a very nice paint finish..

I must remember Crown flame red paint when the time comes to paint my 6x6 project :thumbs: