Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

Just a Bit Too Much for the Old Girl

Polaris2007

So I decided to try to snowblow an area of the lawn where my dog goes to do his business because the snow was so deep he could barely walk through it. I can't believe how well this machine goes through the snow. I've got the rear tires aired down to 4 psi, tire chains, 150 lbs of wheel weights, and 100 EXTRA pounds of man (I'm good for 285 lbs). The snow was so deep I had to use low range first gear to keep the blower from squealing the belt. I made it about 15 ft into the lawn and that was it. Here's what stopped me: there was about 6" worth of snow from an earlier storm underneath the upper 14" from the last two storms. When I entered onto the lawn, the tractor rode up onto the first 6" because it had a pretty good frozen crust on it. The tractor continued ontop of the lower 6" while blowing away the upper 14". Then, the rear wheels smashed through the crust, and I sank 6" to the lawn. That was it. after 5 minutes of high range 2nd to reverse rocking, I had enlarged the rutts to 3 or 4 feet long. If I had kept at it, the thing would eventually chew it's way out, but I didn't want to keep beating on the transmission. So, the old girl had to spend a cold and windy night outside. What you see in the pic is the amount of snow I was going through. No more snow fell since I got stuck. The small amount of snow on the blower and floorboards drifted there in the wind overnight. I guess I'm headed outside to fetch the truck and a tow strap..........

DSC01241.jpg

MaineDad

Jon,

Pull her out and finish what you started. She'll handle it! Great picture though...

Gerry w

WOW!! sad....but really GREAT pic, sort of...mixed feelings here. Good luck getting her back and all tucked in!

When I do the same with the Raider I push in four feet or so, then back out, and make a wider path by driving in again but only using half a width of the blower, and so on...gives me some room to back it out if it gets too deep or the blower sinks into a lower level.

I have also found the blower WILL pitch frozen dog "gifts" over the hill side so I don't have to deal with them later!! Bonus! :banghead:

Really nice picture! Calender shot??

JimD

The poor old girl looks pretty forlorn sitting there in the cold and snow, but it won't be long till she's back on duty cleaning up nature's mess. :banghead:

Polaris2007

Don't worry guys, I'm not giving up. I was just too cold last night to get it pulled out. I will try again and take smaller bites this time. I'll post another pic once she's back in the barn so you guys won't have to worry about her. :banghead: I'd LOVE to see her in next year's calender!

oldandred

I call that not enough snow

KC9KAS

Nice picture. The Horse will "Get-R-Done"

Just don't throw throw the dog dodo towards the house....you may break a window!

sgtsampay

Polaris, don;t feel to bad, I also got the Raider stuck yesterday plowing along side the garage and my nieghbor sunk his c-120 right in front my big tractor, as he was tring to make a path to it.

He was finally able to get by have someone stand on the rear of his tractor and he gun it! LOL.

I got the Raider by put it in gear nad push with all my might and she then rock loose and came free. I then turn around push that snow with the blade. LOL

What large storm we got. So much for 3-5in. lol.

TT

I left a :banghead: out in a snowstorm once :thumbs: .........

Had a heck of a time finding it the next day. :ROTF:

030208091.jpg

sgtsampay

Um, that looks like a snow tractor, instead of a snow man. Nice art work you did. Must of taking you all night. :banghead:

stevasaurus

Great picture...not much more beautiful than a winter landscape in the great state of Maine. :banghead:

smoreau

:thumbs: is that gas powered or snow powered :banghead:

chesbaycruiser

Awesome TT!

:banghead:

Polaris2007

Geez TT, I thought that was real at first glance, until I saw that there was no shifter and no pedal. Did you make that?? Great job. Oh, and the C121 is safe and sound back in the barn. That thing was stuck hard. My 4WD Silverado was spinning it's wheels on my snowy driveway trying to get it up out of the ruts!