Sign in to follow this  
Posimoto

Linkage issue

Posimoto

Since purchasing last summer I noticed reverse seem a bit slow with good forward speed. I didn

kpinnc

For one, the friction adjust could be tightened a bit. That would maintain your speed to whatever you leave it at. However, if there is play developing in the DCL, then tightening the friction will make it worse.

If your Direction Control Lever (DCL) is the low-mount type, meaning the DCL is between your legs when you're on the tractor, then you may want to take a look there. I'm assuming you're asking about the 1988 520-H listed on your signature block.

I've seen those DCLs get worn to the point that quite a bit of "slop" is present through the travel of the whole assembly. The plastic bushings that the DCL pivots on can also break down and fall apart as well, which creates quite a bit of play there. In addition, you may want to check the tiny link that connects the cam to the DCL. The joints (looks like tiny Heims) wear and get loose over time.

In short, check every moving part in the DCL assembly for a snug fit. If you have slop anywhere there, it will effect how much travel you can apply to the cam. Since "neutral" is also directed by the smaller cam on the DCL, this would make adjustment of the amount of creep virtually impossible at the rear cam- which is where those adjustments are meant to be made.

Sounds like alot to look at, but the amount of movement at the cam is very small. It won't take much play to keep you from losing all the available travel for top speed.

Good luck!

Kevin

Posimoto

Thanks for the fast response,

Yes, I

kpinnc

Where is the flap visible? The belt will flap a bit towards the middle of the area between the pulleys when engaged, but probably not more than an inch or so.

When disengaged, the belt should fall slack.

Posimoto

It was down stream of the fan pulley (forward direction) about a foot in front of it. It was flapping about 2

kpinnc

As long as you don't have any indication of the belt slipping, it should be fine.

I'm assuming the belt guard is in place and mounted correctly? :banghead:

Posimoto

I haven't noticed any slipping and the guard is attached and mounted correctly. I'll inspect the belt again come spring, thanks!