Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

Traveling....recommendations????

Shuboxlover

So it turns out I'll be in Pittsburgh Monday and Tuesday for work, then I'll be in Norfolk VA Wednesday. Does anyone have any recommendations of places I MUST see or eat at while I'm there? Not afraid of driving...

nylyon

While in Norfolk, you won't be too far from Williamsburg. I don't know if anything is open in the winter, but Colonial Williamsburg is a nice place to visit if you've never been. We went during the summer and it was HOT so winter would be much nicer I would think. As far as Pittsburgh? Maybe go visit a steel mill? :banghead:

Nick

Saw a sandwich place on TV that has locations around Pittsburgh. Looked really good, had a crowd and had been around for years.

http://www.primantibrothers.com/

MikesRJ

Primanti Brothers is HAVE TO GO place. The sandwiches are out of sight.

While in Norfolk, I recommend a trip Virginia Beach Town Center and eat at Burtons Grill. Excellent food and good crowd.

http://www.burtonsgrill.com

rmaynard

Take a side trip to Maryland for seafood. Maryland has the best seafood in the world. But be advised, if you are in Virginia, (or anywhere else but Maryland) and the restaurants advertise "Maryland Crab Cakes", avoid them like the plague. You can only get Maryland Crab Cakes in Maryland. There is a difference.

Maryland Crab Cake - All lump crab meat, very little filler, broiled:

7a9213cc.jpg

Other Crab Cakes - Mostly filler, very little if no lump crab meat, deep-fat fried:

1dc43c63.gif

It's like the difference between a Wheel Horse and a Murray.

Shuboxlover

Those sandwiches look GREAT :banghead:

And I loves me some seafood!!!!

chesbaycruiser

In Norfolk, I highly recommend the Nauticus museum, which includes the Battleship Wisconsin.

Right around the corner from Nauticus is Waterside, a "lesser" version of the Baltimore Inner Harbor. In the summer it's fun to stroll the Marina, but this time of the year, I'd say you won't miss much if you skip it.

If you need to pick up any gifts for the wife or kids the MacArthur Center is a very nice, upscale mall with a lot of high-end shops, as well as theaters if you're in the mood for a flick.

If you are willing to make the 30 minute drive, Colonial Williamsburg is definitely worth seeing, and is open during the winter. While you're there, I highly recommend dinner (or lunch) at King's Arms Tavern or Sheild's Tavern. They're not cheap (menus available on the hyperlink), but both offer great food, served in an "authentic" colonial tavern.

For a more casual environment, but also good food, The Yorktown Pub is located on the Yorktown waterfront. It's kind of a biker bar meets family friendly restaurant. On any day you'll find a bunch of bikes parked out front, but families with kids inside as well. Great place for lunch with some really good sandwiches, etc.

BTW...the Colonial Parkway is a nice, scenic drive; it runs from Yorktown, through Williamsburg to Jamestown. If you're there during the day, a great drive, but I'd skip it at night...nothing to see and LOTS of deer!

Enjoy the visit!

:banghead:

rmaynard

Ditto's on Williamsburg. Been there many times over my lifetime. My favorite restaurant is Christiana Campbell's Tavern.

nylyon

My 2 times at Williamsburg were 100+ degree temperatures, this is the BETTER time to visit.

wh79d160

Are you going to the eliptical machine convention??? I think I saw it on your web site.

chesbaycruiser

Ditto's on Williamsburg. Been there many times over my lifetime. My favorite restaurant is Christiana Campbell's Tavern.

I'm partial to Shields, but honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the four taverns of Colonial Williamsburg: King's Arms, Shields, Christina Campbell's or Chowning's.

Shuboxlover

Are you going to the eliptical machine convention??? I think I saw it on your web site.

not unless nasa has elliptical machines

Sparky

I travel to Norfolk for work often but never eat anywhere cool. I'm actually flying there and back next Monday for a one day job. If I have the time I allways go to the Northern Tool store in Hampton which is just a 20 minute ride from Norfolk. Its huge and I can spend all sorts of time wandering the isles. I take the company plane and there are no real stiff regulations about what you can stick in the luggage compartment so I have brought home all sorts of stuff. Heres the address:

2330 West Mercury Blvd, Ste A

Hampton, VA 23666

Mike.........

chesbaycruiser

As far as good restaurants in the Tidewater area:

In Norfolk, Freemason Abbey comes highly recommended.

Also the enclave of Ghent (in Norfolk) has some nice places, including La Bella, a good Italian place that's not too pricey.

Just across the Elizabeth River in Portsmouth, is Cafe Europa, a nice Mediterranean place. (I haven't been there in a few years, but I hear it's still good.)

bon appetit! (In American...Dig In!)

wh79d160
not unless nasa has elliptical machines
Of course they do. I'm sure they have a very extensive exercise program for the shuttle jockeys.

In Pittsburgh - Primanti Brothers on Forbes Av. is a must. :banghead: :thumbs:

chesbaycruiser

...be advised, if you are in Virginia, (or anywhere else but Maryland) and the restaurants advertise "Maryland Crab Cakes", avoid them like the plague. You can only get Maryland Crab Cakes in Maryland. There is a difference.

Rmaynard is correct...you can get definitely get some world-class crab cakes in Maryland. But, I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the distinguished gentleman from Maryland, and come to the defense of The Old Dominion! :banghead:

While it certainly is true that you can get a lot of sub-par crab cakes in Virginia, it is also true that you can find them just as easily in Maryland. Lesser restaurants there are also familiar with "filler" and deep frying. Virginia has the same Blue Crabs, from the same Chesapeake Bay. It's all a question of whether the chef is using quality, local crab meat, if they have a good recipe, and if generally speaking, he or she knows what the hell they're doing.

So with no disrespect towards the venerable Maryland crab cake (or its supporters), if you are interested in some excellent Virginia Crab Cakes, look no further than the Surf Rider restaurant in Norfolk. (Or MANY other places all along the Virgina's Chesapeake or Atlantic coast.)

Just sayin.... :thumbs:

Virginia Pilot: Taste Test - Crab Cakes

485721000.jpg

rmaynard

I concede that the honorable gentleman from Virginia is correct. Virginia does have excellent seafood, and Maryland does have it's share of bad restaurants/cooks as well.

Touch

chesbaycruiser

I concede that the honorable gentleman from Virginia is correct. Virginia does have excellent seafood, and Maryland does have it's share of bad restaurants/cooks as well.

Touch

chesbaycruiser

So Shuboxlover,

Did you end up going anywhere good for food or fun on your trip??? :banghead:

B-8074

Yes, "Permany's" That's how we say it in the Burgh. The one in the strip disctrict and yes you can find strip clubs in the strip but it is mostly for shopping. :banghead:

And while in Pittsburgh you might as well visit Heinz Feild. The future home of the Super Bowl 45 Champs! GO STEELERS!!!!

just me

As far as Pittsburgh? Maybe go visit a steel mill? :banghead:

good luck on that there isn't anymore around

Shuboxlover

Well.....

Lets just say this was a trip from hell...

Not to bore you with any details, but nothing went right in Pitt. or Hampton VA. Anyway, I didn't have ANY time to do anything fun :banghead: But i did eat at Primanti Bros. but after talking to some people there, I ate at the wrong one, evidential there is one really good one, and many "impostors" :wh: Anyway, it was o.k. :wwp::wh: the fries IN the sandwich kind of freaked me out. But it didn't stop me from eating it. I had the pastrami (double meat :ROTF: )

While in VA I had to work longer than expected too, but that's beside the point, I didn't have time to travel too far while down there, so after I checked in, I went to Bubba's in VA beach and ate there. I had clam chowder for an appetizer ( :hide::hide::D ) and then the crab cakes for the entree (boiled of course) OH MY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want more right now... They were FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I appreciate it. I have to tell you, driving into downtown P-burgh at night from the airport, once you come out of the tunnel, and BOOOOOM there's downtown, breathtaking :D absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I was looking for some little red tractors, but never spotted any :thumbs:

rmaynard

I had clam chowder for an appetizer, and then the crab cakes for the entree (broiled of course) OH MY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want more right now... They were FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of guys from Maryland and Virginia wouldn't steer you wrong when it comes to seafood.

B-8074

If you'd like the next time you're in the Pittsburgh area I could show you some sites. I'll even show you were the original Permanti's is. I've worked all over the city. What is it that you do that you have to travel?